Username Post: another thread got me thinking...        (Topic#1573403)
Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom

how many of us scrapbookers are overachievers?

by that I mean do you think you take on WAY too much like work, school, family, etc etc etc and then still want to do something like scrapbooking but never seem to have enough time?

or am I in the miniority?

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 04-05-12 07:53 AM
In response to Ohio4HMom

Of course we are!

If I didn't have too much to do....
seriously I am an overachiever who is trying to recover but every once in a while I relapse.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to GMFTS

When I think of scrapbookers, I don’t think “over achievers”…I tend to think of “creative people”. People that enjoy art, design, crafts, creating, decorating, photography, color, graphics, and throw in a little collecting. (anything visual and even the written word)

I also think scrapbookers like to wrap their positive life experiences, family & friends around them like a warm security blanket. They like to reflect on the past, not think about a make believe future.

Over achievers…maybe in the way someone might want to renovate their house by themselves. When it comes to scrapbooking, they want all of the “bells & whistles”, not a boring photo album.

Do we all “bite off more than we can chew”? probably a lot of scrapbookers would say yes. One of the hardest things in life is to drop old hobbies & activities to make room for the new. Something has to give…It’s stretching yourself too thin. That’s why there are tons of “how to get organized and scrap faster” threads.

I guess to me the word “overachiever” has a negative, competitive aspect that I don’t particularly associate with scrapbooking.

AniPie
AniPie 
Tenant
AniPie
In response to Gelidy Gelato

For me scrapbooking is a few things. It is a creative outlet and it also feeds my shopping needs =-D. But it helps me destress. How can I be worked up when I am playing with happy memmories and glue and paper and glitter and ...... lol you know what I mean. And not only that it helps me take that moment out of all the rushing and look at my life and for bad or good enjoy the journey.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to AniPie

I do have too much on my plate but not by choice. If I had my way, I would ditch the work portion of my days, but I've gotten pretty attached to a roof over my head and food on the table, lol. Plus I couldn't afford scrapbooking if I didn't have the job. So looks like a lose/lose situation in my book.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to chocolateaxel

All my life I had more than I should on my plate.

WHen my kids were babies and toddlers, I didin't work for a charity - I started my own so I could have 70 hours a week of work without pay.

When I got involved in politics I actually did a 2 hours talk show out of KPIX in San Francisco one night and was constantly on the radio circut. I had small children then too - one a few months old.

When I rent into real estate I didn't want to work by myself, I wanted to be in charge and hired 5 buyers agents to help me with my workload and still worked until 2AM or 4AM every morning.

I became the office trainer - on call 24 hours a day for every new agent they hired in my office.

I would say that I definitely one who jumps in with both feet into every project and often have several projects going at once.

I am almost always the organizer.

When I had an event for the red hat ladies I had it for 3 days for 350 ladies. I booked the entire Marietta (GA) resort and conference center - every sleeping room (about 90 of them I think) and all the ballrooms. The entire facility and restaurants for 3 nights.

From a band that was incredible to 5 meals for 350 ladies to entertainment for 2 nights and an all night pajama party as well as having a red hat pageant and talent show - it took a year to put together but I put the entire 3 days together myself in addition soliciting about 50 donations of nice prizes on the table.

I don't think I'm an overachiever, but give me a project I'm interested in and I'll go throught he roof with it.

I'm retired now and play with my scrapbook most of the day but if something comes along that calls to me - I'm all over it.

I think you can say I'm passionate about everything I do. I focus on what I am dong and it consumes me, I tend to be passionate about doing things.

And I like surrounding my life with things I know and love. I don't tend to live in the past or embrace those memories as much as I do what is going on now. I live for the present with little thoughts of the past or future. I think that is why it is so important to me that my scrapbooks be current. It is my life now.

I cannot not get interested in scrapping the past - not even my children's baby stuff. I want today saved and documented.

The past is over and I'll deal with the future when I get there.

I do not cosider myself creative at all. Zero creataive talent - but I have memories I want to hang on to forever that we are making today.

I don't enjoy artistic things because I'm so bad at them - but I feel I take an ok photo and my journaling is ok so I have that to contribute. But I do not consider myself creative and am so envious of all the scrapbookers here who really are artists. I am in awe!

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to Ohio4HMom

I once called my sister an over achiever and she said: "It is impossible to exceed one's potential."
When my aquaintences find out that I scrap, they think I'm crazy because I am doing so many other things (Work, school, family, etc.)
The truth is, most people need a creative outlet, but not everyone discovers what theirs is. We are fortunate.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to leslief

• leslief Said:
I once called my sister an over achiever and she said: "It is impossible to exceed one's potential."
When my aquaintences find out that I scrap, they think I'm crazy because I am doing so many other things (Work, school, family, etc.)
The truth is, most people need a creative outlet, but not everyone discovers what theirs is. We are fortunate.

Well said!

my husband actually told me I'm "not creative"

really? Bite me!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Ohio4HMom

I think all scrapbookers are over achievers

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to Sneezy1956

I am definitely an overaschiever. The word "no" is not in my vocabulary. I thought that when I quit my full time job, I would have more time on my hands. Huh! I have no time. If I didn't have all the stuff that I do, I think I would be bored.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to scrappnmom2il

I seem to have less "free" time now that I'm not working than when I was!

I need to start working on my time management skills!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Ohio4HMom

I am a slacking underachiever right now.

Oh well, at least my floors are clean.

timon
timon 
Veteran
timon
  • timon on 04-06-12 06:42 PM
In response to kelseymel

yea, i tend to stack my plate, especially around holidays. but, scrapping and my tv shows are my me time and get-away time. take a break from it all.

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to timon

I am a recovering over-acheiver. I could never say no... and I crashed and burned. (I did not even enjoy my wedding b/c of the burnout) Then I moved to a small town (pop. 600) with little or no people our age and had to learn how to "be still."

Now, almost 5 years from that point, my kids are my life and so I am still busy busy busy, but I do not do extra things (unless it positively helps my family.) Not to say I do not do anything to help anyone else out, but I am pretty limited b/c I can only do things that I can drag to 2 kids under 2 to.

It is really easy for me right now, but as the kids grow and we add to the number I will have to continue to make smart decisions about what my kids and I are involved in.

Mishay36
Pro
Mishay36
In response to Rushli

I just did my blog post about being an over achiever. I cant help it...its a sickness but its functional for me. I have to do everything I do over the top!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mishay36

I keep dabbling in real estate and have to be careful not to jump in with both feet again or my husband and family will never see me again.

I take it very easy now because my husband can very easily say lets go to Europe tomorrow (or anytwhere else) and I can't have anything on my plate that would keep me from heading to the airport.

My mother gets all over me becuase I don't do any volunteer work and I'm home scrapbooking all day, but as I tell her, we travel a lot. And on no notice. If a great cruise comes up that leaves in 3 days, we are on it so I cannot have anything scheduled or have any commitments.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to Henri Jean

Henri, I want to be you in my next life.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics