Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Best scissors/paper trimmer?        (Topic#1573579)
Oreety 
New Kid On the Block

I have a few essential tools that I need to purchase and have yet to take the plunge because despite all my researching, I still can't figure out which would be best! Sooo, here are the items and any/all help, comments or suggestions are very much appreciated and strongly encouraged!

1) Looking for long scissors that give clean and accurate cuts. I already purchased Fiskars' "Scissors and more" and the cuts are very jagged, which kills the perfectionist in me! I love my Cutterbee precision scissors and if I could find a longer version, I'd be one very happy stamper!

2) I already own Fiskars' 9' paper trimmer and though I am primarily a cardmaker (with hopes of soon delving into scrapbooking ) I often use 12x12 paper, which means this paper trimmer doesn't cut it (double entendre/pun intended hehe). So, which paper trimmers would you recommend for 12x12 paper that can cut through more than 1 piece of card stock? I don't need it to be easily transported since this one will be for my craft room. Guillotine style any good? So to recap, top priorities for trimmer:
- can accommodate 12x12
- cuts through multiple card stock
-clean and precise cuts
- if it can score, that's a bonus!

Sorry for this long winded post...thanks in advance!!!

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to Oreety

If you like your current trimmer, why not get the 12" version. Lots of people swear by the Making Memories trimmer, but I love my Tonic Guillotine trimmer because I my space is small and it works great.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to traceyjean

I have a BIDEX Carl 12 inch that my hubby purchased for cutting photos before I started scraping. I am mad at myself because I brought four new blades for it on line and now I don't really like using it because it cuts off just a hair (how is that for a measurment?!). I think I will get a Fiskars 12 inch eventually. There are so many don't know which one.

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to CrimsonMama

• CrimsonMama Said:
I think I will get a Fiskars 12 inch eventually. There are so many don't know which one.

same here. I currently have a cutterpede (linked the mini, but I have the 12") nd would like one that i did not have to fold a flimsy bar out to measure a 12" piece of paper. I will have room to store it when all is said and done, and my cutterpede will work ok for travel.

robmab
robmab 
Resident
robmab
In response to Rushli

Ugh, I have been through so many trimmers and I feel your pain!

I'm about to chuck my Cutterpillar (love it in theory, but the paper slips while I'm cutting) -- so I don't recommend that one.

I had the Making Memories for a while, but I prefer smaller trimmers that don't take up precious desk space, and the MM was just a little too bulky to move around. Also, once the blade gets dull, you're out of luck -- they don't sell replacements.

Right now, the Fiskars are the best/most economical I've found. I tried a Purple Cows Guillotine trimmer at my LSS and really loved it, but again, it takes up more space.

I think it comes down to your preference -- if you like something lightweight and really portable, the Fiskars is about as good as you can get. (Plan to replace the blades FREQUENTLY)

If you don't mind sharing your desk with your trimmer, look into Purple Cows or maybe Tonic. Be sure to find one that will hold your paper in place while it's cutting -- to me, that is the key to getting a good straight cut. And make sure that blade refills are easy to get.

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to robmab

I just watched the purple cow ultimate trimer II video and I am in LOVE! However, the reviews on Amazon are not good... they do not like the mouse cutter (hard to hold) and say the measuring does not line up right for the guillotine and you can not measure from the mouse part... there were only 2 reviews, and sometimes the odd unhappy folks are the only ones that actually write a review...

Any insights Robyn (or anyone)?

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Rushli

I can only comment on the Fiskars since that is what I've always had. I currently use the Fiskars premium 12 inch cutter and I really like it. The fold out arm is not flimsy and works well. I love the measurements to cut cards etc. easily and the wire guide makes lining up the paper for cutting really easy....
I'm interested to hear what others say about this though as I haven't ever tried any other brand.

Alison

Expert
In response to kiyawinn

I have been using the Fiskars that several others have mentioned (and linked)for the last year or so and I like it. I sometimes have slightly off cuts, but overall it's been fine. I like that the base is 6+ inches wide on the left side and 1.5 inches on the right because it's big enough to use for most of my cuts without swinging out the arm yet it's still small enough it's easy to take to crops.

I had been using the Cutterpede, but was starting to get bad cuts even with a new blade and cutting strip--I did like the alternate cutting blades available (scallop, wave, etc....even though one of them sliced the tip of my thumb off--totally user error!)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to HuskerMom98

My local scrapbook store has 5 or 6 different cutters in thier scrap area you can play with so I tried them all.

Hate the guilletine, just don't like them at all.

I have the 12" Fiskars rotary cutter and it is perfect for me. I have one for home and one in my crop wagon. Several who have tried it liked it well enough to buy one becuase it is so easy to use and goes through 3 or 4 sheets of cardstock pretty easily. Blades are easy to change too.

I like that I can push the paper up to the next line and cut each way and it makes a perfect mat - no measuring necessary.

I never get a crooked cut or anything off as long as I hold the paper against the guide.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to robmab

I am now a fiskars girl......I have 4 of them.

Creative memories had a good trimmer but they seem to be going towards rotary trimmers and they are not my thing.

ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162
In response to PhotobearSam

I recently got a Fiskars trimmer & I LOVE IT! It's amazing!!!!! idk about scissors, although I do love my Tim Holtz Tonic one!

twochicks
Tenant
twochicks
In response to ScrappinGirl162

I agree with everyone voting for the Fiskars Cut Line trimmers. I have used mine for a few years and am still very pleased. I find them easier to use than a guillotine trimmer. However, you may need to go with a rotary trimmer if you want to cut more than one sheet at a time. I have had my eye on the rotary trimmer below. I prefer the larger trimmers because I think it is easier to make more accurate cuts with a larger space. I think the best bet for bigger scissors are some good Fiskars...in my experience, they are the best.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to twochicks

For scissors I think cutter bee are the best.
Products Referenced in This Post:
Honey Bee Scissors (Discontinued)

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to PhotobearSam

As of right now I have 6 yes 6 paper trimmers and none of them cut really straight Including all listed above.

As far as scissors cutter bee and Tim Holtz are my two fave. Don't like Tim's for fussy cutting though.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Sneezy1956

If you want to spend some money, their is a trimmer called Genesis. I also go on Heart prints and this is the trimmer that she recommends. I just wish I could afford it.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to stitch_a_day

I went to Staples and bought a 30.00 guillotine trimmer, and it's the only one I've ever had that A) cuts multiple pieces of paper easily and B) hasn't broken on me.

I have been through about 8 trimmers in the first 2 years of scrapping,,,

I've had this one for a year.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CommaHolly

I've had my Fiskar's rotary about 4-5 years and I do about 400 layouts a year, give or take 100. And almost every page I do is full of mats.

It cuts completely straight - never a crooked line unless I don't push it against the edge, then it is my fault.

I'm sure I make 50-100 cuts with it nearly every day and it still cuts completely and totally straight. I only change the blade once every 3-4 months, but considering that I scrap 10-12 hours some days, that isn't much.
I absolutely love it.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Henri Jean

I love my Creative Memories trimmmers.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to NMlady

I forgot to mention that you can get a scoring blade for the Fiskars one that I have (above).
I haven't tried scoring with it yet but the blade is easy to replace so it should work ok....

Alison

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-11-12 08:54 AM
In response to kiyawinn

I have this Fiskars trimmer. It's not perfect - I feel I have to replace the cutting track far too often. However I LOVE that it uses Blade Type F, which can be changed out for scallop, pinking, or my absolute fave - deckle.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics