Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: UN-DU Adhesive Remover        (Topic#1574317)
shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse

Years ago before I ever even thought of Scrapbooking our local Wal-Mart had several shopping carts full of scrapbook items for 25¢ apiece. I just found on the top shelf in the back of my pantry one of those items still in package. It is called UN-du Adhesive Remover and says it is "The Scrapper's Solution" It is suppose to safely remove sticker residue from Scissors and Punches. It says it will also remove sticker and glue on paper and will not bleed. What is your opinion of this stuff? Is it safe to use?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to shortmouse

I did a scrapbook page with a big journaling block in a crop. The paper was a thin patterned paper and the cardstock I printed it on was bright white with typing from my computer. There were also 3 pictures I think with matting.

One of the girls took her bottle of undu and started pouring it over my entire layout and everything came right off and the paper did not bleed or make a mess. Pictures were fine.

Becuase she used a fourth of a bottle, and the patterned paper was very cheap, it did wave a tiny bit but it was fine.

I just did one and I am afraid to pour a big portion of any liquid on my pages - just scares me but it did work fine.

Word of caution - take it outside to work with it. The fumes are very powerful. It makes a lot of people sick. It's like inhaling strong paint thinner - only worse.

You have got to have good ventilation when you use it.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-29-12 07:12 AM

You do need decent ventilation so you don't inhale the fumes, and it can be a skin irritant with prolonged contact. But otherwise safe, yes.

If you're ever in doubt about any chemical or product you can google the MSDS.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

Very good point Kara - and very good advice!

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to Henri Jean

Thank you for the ventilation warning since I have a very low threshold for odors. Plus we have a dog that goes into convulsions over certain odors.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram

Un-do is great stuff. Works magic on errors. I remember a few years back it was taken off the market ( don't remember why) but so many people here were going crazy looking for the stuff, then all of a sudden, it was back!!
I have had a bottle for many years, a little goes a long way.
Kinda reminds me of lighter fluid.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ChansGram

My son is a seizure patient and smells and odors will trigger a grand mal seizure every time.

I would not use it at all in the house becuase if he walked into the house, even the next day, we'd be calling an ambulance for him.

For me it is outdoor use only!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Henri Jean

I've used it to remove old black and white photos from my parents old photo albums. The old black paper stuff. Also use it to remove the stickers from glass.
I too still have the old bottle from long ago, but bought one again when it came back, just incase it went away again.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to SherylEb

It went away due to shipping, I think-- I called them back when it first went off the market and he told me the story. They were working on new permits etc....
I have since learned it is the same thing as bestine solvent. It is cheaper than undu and I get mine at HL in the art section next to the rubber cement.I use it quite a bit for removing stickers from things I buy to cleaning up sticky tape residues etc.. as well as for scrapping.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-29-12 08:53 AM
In response to terrihooper

I think the key to safely using Un-Du is to use it a drop at a time. I work on a very small section, and let it drip onto the spatula on the cap and gently ease up whatever I am trying to remove. It evaporates so quickly that using it on large areas at once is a waste of the product AND is more likely to produce the fumes.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to gone

Good to know Terri. Especially if I can't find it and am in need

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to SherylEb

Thank you all for the info. Now I know I can use it to remove pictures from those nasty photo albums from 70's. You know the ones that are cardboard with sticky and clear plastic. Since I bought this bottle so long ago half of it evaporated by the time I found it today. Again thanks everybody.

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn

I've only used it a few times, but it's a miracle worker:) I've seen in more scrapping stores lately.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to tinadn

I am an Un-Do lover! It's saved me from so many messes. Plus, I use it to clean my scissor and cutter blades and all my tools. And I've used it around the house when I have one of those nasty stickers that just won't come off. There was a flamable ingredient in it that California would not allow to be shipped back when it was "discontinued". As I understand things have changed - I don't know if it's a change in ingredient or a change in shipping policy - but it's back on the market. Do keep it tightly closed - it's prone to quick evaporation.

Resident
In response to dwelch

I love Un-Do. Just make sure to buy the regular formulation NOT the California formulation. I ordered some Un-Do online from another source when my lss was out of stock. They sent me the California formulation. It took FOREVER to finally evaporate. It really unnerved me. The scrapbook paper I was working with had a huge wet splotch on it for several hours before it finally disappeared. The standard formula evaporates in just a few seconds. I went on and used it for other household chores, i.e. sticker removal, etc. and bought a bottle of the regular when my lss was back in stock

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-30-12 07:53 AM
In response to oilbrat

The California version is VOC compliant, so it is different, and if you're a really 'green' person you may prefer to check it out. However Bestine is still readily available here, so I really wonder what the heck it was in Un-du that CA doesn't allow.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to gone

• bgpa Said:
I think the key to safely using Un-Du is to use it a drop at a time. I work on a very small section, and let it drip onto the spatula on the cap and gently ease up whatever I am trying to remove. It evaporates so quickly that using it on large areas at once is a waste of the product AND is more likely to produce the fumes.

I was going to say the same thing.

I would NOT pour 1/4 a bottle over a layout, like Henri Jean's friend did.

And, it does SMELL.

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to Bxr-Linda

I just used it for the first since I found it yesterday. Put one drop on the bar code sticker on the back of a plate that I will be modge podgeing and it worked wonders. What normally takes me 10 to 15 mins only took me sec. Glad I found it in the pantry and of course I am glad I got your opinions.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

That's another thing that it's awesome for.... removing price stickers and such from items!!

I used it to get sticker residue from the temporary permit off my car window.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

I went into shock when a friend pour 1/4 bottle over my layout - it was soaked! However, it turned out perfect.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics