Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Time spent on LOs?        (Topic#1576447)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-14-12 09:35 PM

Hey everyone! I'm just getting back into scrapping after many years of it being packed away and not having the time or space to work on it. Before that, I had many albums that I spent years on. I don't remember how long it took me to do each LO back then, but looking back on them now, I'm not happy with how they turned out. I don't want to go redo them or anything, but I want to look back on the pages I am doing now and be able to enjoy them.

Now when I am scrapping, I am finding that it is taking me FOREVER to do one LO. Okay, maybe not forever, but sometimes a few days or a week to get one done. I've been searching for "rapid scrapping" ideas but I wanted to check here and see, on average, how long does it take you to complete a layout? A good friend of mine can just kind of slap something together and it always looks decent and takes her like an hour or less, but Me? No can do. I struggle to come up with ideas (even when trying to scraplift) and then spend eons trying to make it look right to me. I really need to speed up my time. Not because I'm trying to compete, but because I get very frustrated with how long it takes me and I start to get sick of the photos before I even get the LO finished.

I've been searching the forums (and digging up some old posts before I realized how old they are) but have yet to come across one that addresses my particular question. I'm sure it's been asked a million times, so if someone has a link to a previous thread, please feel free to post it.

If not, I appreciate any tips and comments from you!

Judes4
Judes4 
Veteran
Judes4
In response to Vae

Some layouts take me forever. Others I whip out in no time.

I have learned to leave the hard ones out where I can see them when I pass by. That way I can remember to think about pieces of it and do little pieces slowly. I tried sitting there with the picture and that doesn't work for me because, like you, I get sick of them.

Whenever possible I do power layouts, ala Creative Memories, when I have large groups of pictures. That helps speed things up overall.

Edited by Judes4 on 05-14-12 10:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Judes4

I went to a 3-hour crop once with a friend. She created about 7 LOs which were each one big picture, 3 or 4 layers of rectangular papers, a title and a cluster or two of embellishments in a corner. They looked fantastic - great photos, really professional-looking, and QUICK.

I don't think I would want to look at a whole album of that style, but interspersed with other pages showing lots of photos, they'd be gorgeous. Maybe she saved those photos for the crop for that reason.

I find that using sketches works for me. I pick a design I like then find the photos to match it. If I try to design around specific photos, I often get bogged down. I'm quite happy to use sketches I've previously used, or to scrap-lift my own LOs, because if they worked for me once, they'll work again and they never end up looking the same.

Well those are my tips. Good luck to you!

Resident
In response to RedSquirrel

It always varies for me, sometimes it can take me day or weeks to finish to one some of them have been sitting for a year (I should really finish those). I find that I am hard pressed to finish one in less then an hour or 2. It depends on what I am doing though if I am making all of my embellishments, doing lots of stamping, inking, and misting I can spend 4 or 5 hours on a LO.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

the process is the purpose, the process is the purpose, the process is the purpose ...

sometimes when I'm frustrated with how long I feel I'm working on a particular page, I have to take a deep breath and remind myself of this. This is a hobby, which is supposed to be fun. I think when we focus too much on the results, and not enough on how we get there, we forget this.

That being said, sketches help me a lot. I also tend to use paper packs to coordinate my my pps, so I never have to worry if the papers go together.

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000

Sketches and collection packs or slabs.

The sketch gives me the general LO and takes that guess work away... and when the papers were all meant to be used together, well that's a major time saver for me.

carbphrek
Idol
carbphrek
In response to Msceejay2000

Most of my pages take 30mins to 3 days. All depends on what I get stuck on, usually its just a small bit of embellishment that I want/need/cant't find.

I rarely work from sketches so I work from the ground up. The most time spent is looking for the background paper.

Edited by carbphrek on 05-15-12 04:09 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to carbphrek

It depends.

IF I can scrap without interruption, I can get a lo done every 2-3 hours depending on use of paints and gesso and Stickles.....

Otherwise, I have had los sit for weeks unfinished.

Scrapping takes a backseat when real life gets in the way!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Manda_K

My time varies, sometimes an idea just comes and the page goes together quite quickly, a few hours. Other pages can sit for up to a week, if not more!

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to MrsAnnieS

• MrsAnnieS Said:
My time varies, sometimes an idea just comes and the page goes together quite quickly, a few hours. Other pages can sit for up to a week, if not more!

This is me since I seldom use sketches.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to prittb

My time varies, too. Some LOs just come together super quickly. Others, not so much. The ones that really have me stumped go into a plastic Iris container and sit there til I'm ready to look at them again. I opened that box while reorganizing recently and realized there's about 3 LOs in there. I looked at them again, still didn't have any ideas, and closed the box right back up. I haven't thought about it until this thread.

I think there comes a point where you have to give yourself permission to put it aside until the inspiration comes back, and maybe work on something else in the mean time.

I love sketches for when I need to get something done and the inspiration isn't coming. That Mr. Mojo guy is a persnickety brat who tires of my company more often than I'd like!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to madmatter

[quote=madmatter]the process is the purpose, the process is the purpose, the process is the purpose ...
sometimes when I'm frustrated with how long I feel I'm working on a particular page, I have to take a deep breath and remind myself of this. This is a hobby, which is supposed to be fun. I think when we focus too much on the results, and not enough on how we get there, we forget this.

I agree -it is supposed to be fun!! Sometimes I get bogged down in trying to create a WOW! page. I am really a simple scrapper and reading this site has helped me "find my style". It is easier for me to sorta learn basic layouts in my head then build from there using embellishment placement to make things look different.

Edited by wilbur on 05-15-12 06:16 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scarlet864
Veteran
scarlet864
In response to wilbur

Each layout is different, so if you spend 2 hours on one layout, it doesn't mean that every layout will take you 2 hours to complete.

I'm currently working on the album from my trip to Italy last summer, and what I have found to be a HUGE time saver is to cut and assemble my Cricut images BEFORE I sit down to create my layouts. I'll look at the photos that I am going to scrap next, decide what Cricut images I will use, and cut and assemble enough images for 6 to 8 layouts at one time. Then when I sit down to scrap, I'll have my titles and images set and ready to go and the layout creation time is much, much faster.

My system may not work for everyone, but it certainly has been a huge time saver for me.

Good luck!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Vae

I've never actually timed the hours spent, but on average it is taking me two days to have them completed. I will work for a while and make flowers or embellies and set it aside. Then I will come back and use misting and dry it and then put something heavy on it over night so it is flatter.....

This does NOT even count the time I spend THINKING about the design. I take a photo(s) and start pulling out papers and embellies and sometimes sit on it a while before I really start.

I don't mind this BTW. It's by design I do this, it's fun for me.

In between, my DH and I are scanning our entire collection of 35mm photos and also working on cleaning up old damaged photos. You can make it as big or little of a production as you want to, that's the beauty of it.

Last night I pulled out papers to start a LO of my father's military photos. Then I couldn't find the photo! After I went to bed, I realized where it was and got up to go make sure. Yikes, I need sleep!

mstasha
Veteran
mstasha
In response to Vae

Most of the time it takes me 2-3 hours to get a LO done. I would really like to get them done sooner since I'm always on such a time crunch and have to squeeze scrapbooking in here or there. I usually have a general idea of what I'm going to do, but I always print the photo's as I do the page so that's time consuming and then just the little detail work takes up alot of time, like coming up with title and welding the letters in the Cricut craftroom or inking/distressing.

Siimplicity
Idol
Siimplicity
In response to mstasha

10 years ago I used to do a layout in 30 minutes. Ha Ha...long gone are those days. I try to keep things simple, but it is so hard with all the wonderful products and techniques out there. Even so, my goal is always 60 minutes. In reality, it's closer to 2 hours. Having a good supply on hand that is neatly organized at all times helps the creative process to move quicker.

As for "rapid" scrapping ideas...I think the only way to go rapid is to keep it very, very simple. This can also be interpreted as very, very boring. (-;

~~Happy Scrapping~~

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Siimplicity

I don't have per page time goals but I have overall goals.

It was a goal to have my 3 1/2 cruise scrapbooks of the last cruise we took finished by Saturday because we were getting together the next day (Mother's Day) with friends who were on the cruise and wanted to see the books. I finished it Saturday night.

I have about 40 pages of family, misc. and Hawaii. It will be done by the middle of June.

There are pages I work with for days and days and some that just come together.

I do my journaling on a daily basis when we travel so that helps a lot - much easier than trying to reconstruct what happened. All I have to do is edit and print.

Right now I'm working on the page of me in the hospital when I had my gall bladder out. Its a fun page becuase there is a photo of the board in my room in the hospital with my doctor and nurses and other attendants. Bill listed himself as my doctor #2 which cracked up all the nurses.

I have no clue what I'm going to do with it but by tonight I should have something worked out.

I wore a hospital gown home and I may take the spare gown and cover cardstock with it and use it on my layout. It isn't good for anything else!

Okay, by tonight, the ideas should be in and it should be ready to assemble.

Travel layouts go very quickly for me becuase I do so many.

Granddaughter, holidays, family gatherings and things like that are slow for me.

I scrap them in chronological order for out books, but if it is a granddaughter page it goes in her book she will get someday.

It is not uncommon for me to have 8 or 10 pages laid out, which are in order and I will shuffle pictures from one page to another and when I get all of them done, then I will lay out 8 or 10 more pages for the next port and work on them together so I finish 8-10 at once.

ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162
In response to Henri Jean

uh... for 1 about an hr to 2... I'm a beginner so yeah (I also have to take out my stuff) Including the clean-up too

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to ScrappinGirl162

When I was first scrapping, I heard this rumor that some folks spent several hours on ONE layout ... These days, I'm jumpin' up and down if I can finish in several hours

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to runzalot81

Mine varies as well....mostly it takes me up to a week to do a page but that is working sporadically throughout the week (family and life take priority) very occasionally, I can do one in an hour or so.
I don't really mind either way....I like scrapping, doesn't really matter how long a LO takes for me!

If you are looking to speed up your process, google "Laine Ehmann". She is a professional scrapbooker that teaches how to do a LO quickly. She has a website and free downloads as well as classes that you can take....

Alison

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics