Username Post: What Is The Longest?        (Topic#1576555)
HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM

I'm bored (and avoiding tasks that need to be completed) and that usually means trouble for me. I am trying not to shop for crafty goodies out of boredom/avoidance. What is the longest you went without buying goodies (not including adhesive)? I am not talking about not buying due to financial situations or personal issues. I think the longest I have been on a buying freeze was about three weeks....

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to HisGEM

I've never timed it

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to cescrapper

Never really paid attention, I would like to know myself! Guessing, I would say 2 weeks maybe.
Kenya, just go with it, ya know you will be hitting that "submit" button anytime now!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to ChansGram

Without having a REASON to not buy? Hmmmm...maybe a week or two? Not very long!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to ChansGram

• ChansGram Said:
Never really paid attention, I would like to know myself! Guessing, I would say 2 weeks maybe.
Kenya, just go with it, ya know you will be hitting that "submit" button anytime now!

Oh Trish.... Honestly, there is nothing I want or need! Yet I keep looking for something...anything

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to HisGEM

I went on a 6 month freeze once (gasp) ... nowadays I don't usually go more than a month without buying something

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to madmatter

I haven't made a purchase from the store or the Superstore since spring/summertime of last year.

Instead, I'm trying to use up & make do with what I already own. And quite honestly, I feel like I've yet to make a significant dent!

That completely speaks volumes to me. I'm just sayin'.

Disclaimer: I still live on an island, so temptation isn't as severe as it will be, when I return to the states & head straight to Hobby Lobby, Joanns & M's! (But you totally didn't hear that part!)

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to KellyCali

I set myself a "no-buy challenge" a couple of years ago of a set number of LOs and cards before I could buy anything except adhesive. Then I had to add albums and white card-stock to my exception list . I think it took me about 5 months, but I did it.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to RedSquirrel

I went on a scrappy diet last year. I think the longest I went without buying anything was 2 months

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to DittoBabyGirl

At least 4 weeks for me and then the coupons were calling out to me.

nrthwdscrapper
Mayor
nrthwdscrapper
In response to prittb

Its been about a year since I've bought anything scrappy.....but thats because I got into quilting and was shopping for that.

I've started scrapping again (Thank you NSD!) but I'm trying to not buy anything.....I have so much stuff and since its been a year its all new to me....I don't worry about the "in" styles...I just want to scrap again.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to nrthwdscrapper

I commend you all! I try to be strong, but then there is nothing good coming in the mail...I guess my weakness is getting happy mail!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to HisGEM

Tried it once, but I couldn't handle the withdrawal! Decided to wait until they come out with a 12-step program.

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_
In response to HisGEM

i didn't put an exact time on it...but i'd say anywhere between 7-9 months out of choice. i was taking full advantage of all the fun things and events an internship gave me at the time. i simply wasn't scrapping as much. it's currently been a couple months since i bought anything (again, i haven't timed it, but i think it's been 3 or 4 months?) partly because i organized my stash around the new year and realized all the goodies i had, and partly because i may have temp lost my scrap mojo. even when i do have time off to devote just to scrapping, i either get distracted or just stare at my pretty blank pp lon my desk. lol about a year ago, i started deleting the emails that the craft stores send me. it was the biggest help to curb my spending when i know i don't need the new this or that, since there's a good chance it may sit in my stash for a month or two (if not longer).

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to dwelch

I can go for months without buying. It does help living in a country where there are not so many scrapbook stores and the closest one is a 45 minutes drive. So I do like to look on the internet, then get scared about the shipping costs and decide I have more than enough at home!
If there would be a scrapbook store nearby, I probably would not last more than 2 or 3 weeks!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to HisGEM

I think at some point the “amount of stuff” accumulated starts to impact the hobby in negative ways. It may start with physically trying to deal with “all of the stuff” or financially. It may be a revelation that you have WAY more supplies then you could ever use in a lifetime! Or finally realizing… “I just can’t buy any more things because they are cute. There will ALWAYS be cuter & cuter things. I need to use the cute things I already own.”
I had to teach myself to “window shop” and only buy what I really needed or absolutely loved. The funny thing is I have yet to regret “not buying” something. Everything is always available on ebay even years later. So I can pass on buying the latest cute papers, buying extras, or buying the matching items because I just might need them.
The motivation for me to stop buying out of boredom came when I reach a certain amount of physical supplies. I just can’t squeeze any more in. Now I only buy the basics like glue, cardstock, etc. and I can go months between visits to the LSS & box stores.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I have to agree with you! I still consider myself a newbie so perhaps I will get to that point. Also, I MUST stay off of the forum. I guess I am starting to reap what I sown because I am now being enabled instead of being the enabler!

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to HisGEM

I went for 3 months earlier this year, but I didn't get much done either. Since then, I did buy some paper for my sister's scrapbook, and some grad paper for my daughter's banner, but that's it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics