Username Post: Can't wait!!!        (Topic#1577269)
dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

I can't wait!!! My LSS in Ankeny, IA, is having its annual garage sale this weekend. My only gripe with them is that they have it in their crop room (or at last did last year), and it's waaaaay too small for the number of people it draws. You pay $5 to shop on Friday night, but Saturday is free. I go on Friday night - maybe there aren't as many people on Saturday. Anyone getting in my way will get whacked with my cane(not really!).

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to dwelch

I'm excited for you - those are so much fun!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I've never seen them charge on Friday night but its a great idea - lets you get to the best stuff first! I would pay the $5.00 to go on Friday night when the door opened!

What happens to the $5.00 - just curious, not that it matters. Does it split between the vendors or does the scrapbook store keep all of it. WOuld be nice if it went on munchies and goodies for the shoppers - some of it anyway to make it kind of an event, although it sounds like the space is small.

I went to one scrapbook garage or yard sale which was set up in the shade in front of the store. That was at Whim-So-Doodle in St. Pete. It worked great and I still shopped a lot inside too but nothing was cramped.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Henri Jean

I love these! I went to the two for the LSS near me last Sunday. One was inside the store and it was a bit cramped. The other was on the sidewalk outside the store. The weather was perfect and it was so fun to browse. I bought lots of stamps dirt cheap!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to siameseplease

My LSS does the $5 early-bird thing, but I've never bothered with it. Her store hours make it pretty hard for anyone with a typical 8-9 hour workday to stop by at any time except Saturday, so I have to use that first night of the garage sale to bring my box of stuff for sale rather than shop.

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to aquabunny

My LSS does this once or twice a year. What they do is on Thursday night all of the people who brought stuff to sell can come in and shop before the public. Then it's open to everyone on Friday and Saturday. Pretty cool and always a nice time to get great deals!
Have fun!

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to Babylou

Glad you still have a store that does this... they're a great idea! I never shopped when they had them here, but I found them to be a great way to purge my stuff. Have fun!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to *jesse*

This particular store picks a charity. The give you the money you make except they withhold 20%, which goes to the charity, along with the money they make on charging for Friday night shopping. At least that's what they did in the past - I assume they're doing it that way again this yaer.

michelley2002
Resident
michelley2002
In response to dwelch

My LSS is also having a garage sale this weekend and I am super excited. I have never been before so I'm not sure what to expect. I am hoping to get some good deals!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-05-12 07:22 PM
In response to michelley2002

I just got an email that my LSS is having one soon too, but I don't really understand what it is? Is it just a clearance sale or what? I didn't think I was going to go but maybe I'm missing something?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

Its where the customers bring all the supplies they bought and aren't going to use so they want to sell them to other customers. Its a great chance to get some great deals.

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to Henri Jean

It's also a great way to get rid of stuff you bought (years ago) and never used...and buy new stuff!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Love 2 Learn

A woman here runs a local crop one Friday night each month and also collects stuff we don't want anymore and sells it a a big garage sale for craft stuff to raise money for breast cancer research.

I donated bags of stuff a few weeks ago.

I like to go to the scrapbook garage or yard sales - usually pick up a lot and am amazed at how little I pay!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics