Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: HUGE/HEAVY Wedding Album Scrapbook        (Topic#1577467)
BougainvilleaBride
New Kid On the Block
BougainvilleaBride

Hello All,

I've only made 1 scrapbook in the past and it was quite large (50 embellished pages/100 layouts), but I'm getting ready to make my wedding album and I've got LOADS of keepsakes, stickers, embellishments, wedding cards and pictures that I want to put in it.

I purchased a 12x15 book to give myself some extra space, but I was wondering if any of you have experience with creating a HEAVY scrapbook and can give me some advice (other than splitting my album into 2). I want to just have 1 Giant wedding album to share with my family and children forever.

Thanks for the tips
Jessica

Edited by BougainvilleaBride on 06-12-12 02:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to BougainvilleaBride

I would definitely suggest using a 3-ring album instead of post-bound. I've just done my first 3-ring (for a 60-page album) after years of post-bound, and would definitely be open to using them again in the future.

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to aquabunny

All the wedding albums I've done that were post bound HAD to be split into two albums. They were over 100 layouts each.

So if you are not willing to split the project into 2 albums then you should deffinately keep the number of pages down and use a 3-ring album. Try not to do too many one-photo pages to help keep the number of pages in the album to a minimum. For instance put the brides's parents and the groom's parents on one page making a "parents of the bride and groom" page rather than a page for each. Same thing with grandparents, etc. You could do both bride's cake and groom's cake on a single page if you were so inclined. A single page for the flower girl and the ring bearer. Some of my space-saving ideas. Hope it helps and good luck!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I also recommend the 3-ring books...I switched awhile ago as I do a lot of 3D pages and they do hold a lot more!
Also, if you have a lot of ephemera....you can get pocket pages. I know you can get them through Becky Higgins but you could google them. I didn't find any on here like the ones I'm talking about. The ones below, you have to stick onto a LO. The ones I'm talking about are like a regular page protector but they have a top like an envelope and you can put all your stuff inside them.....they have 3 holes and insert into your book like a regular page protector.....IYKWIM

Alison

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to kiyawinn

Another vote for a 3 ring album, especially the we r memory keepers albums, I can fit into one what I would normally fit in two postbounds.

BougainvilleaBride
New Kid On the Block
BougainvilleaBride
In response to MrsAnnieS

Wow!! Thank you so much, I already purchased the 12x15 Pioneer Family Treasures Deluxe Album because of the size... I didn't think about doing a 3 ring, I just thought it sounded cheap.... I guess I should have asked before I bought my album. I was thinking of alternative ways to bind the album like finding some really long flat screws at Home Depot or Lowes, so the album isn't as wobbly... But I'm not sure if that will help. I will definitely not be wasting too many pages with just 1 photo, I was thinking maybe just a few really nice ones that I would have blown up. But I will have quite a bit of the thicker embellishments so I know the album will be very tall/thick…. I was thinking of not adding all the cards from my guests and making that a separate album instead, I guess I was just hoping to squeeze everything into one Beast of an album…. Wishful thinking I suppose…

BougainvilleaBride
New Kid On the Block
BougainvilleaBride
In response to rockmom

Denise, were they 100+ double sided pages or just 100+ layouts, so 50+ pages?

Sorry just trying to get a good idea of the size....

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-12-12 02:35 PM

I am in the same boat, but I have not made my album yet. I haven't tried swapping the posts for any large screws, but I don't see why that wouldn't work. It might be much better. All my really thick post bound albums ended up bending or breaking after a while. I was thinking of getting a large 12x12 3-ring binder but hadn't quite narrowed it down yet.

The only thing I would worry about with a large screw is the amount of gap from the screw and the bolt you use. But maybe you can drill through to the outside and then cover the screws/bolts with some ribbon or pretty flowers?

BougainvilleaBride
New Kid On the Block
BougainvilleaBride
In response to Vae

Yeah, I've been toying with the idea of using long screws for a while, it just makes more sense to me vs. screwing together a bunch of extender posts, I think it will be more sturdy and possibly give me more of an extension. My 1st ever scrapbook album is post bound and it's about 4-5 inches thick, I just keep it in a safe place and when I take it out to look at I treat it with care. I figure I will definitely be doing the same thing with the wedding album, especially because I plan on attaching a frame and some large items to the cover of it (very elaborate), so when I do take it out to show people they will have to be extremely careful with it.... I plan on storing it in a lovely box for safe keeping, to avoid getting any spills or dirt on it (that happened to my first album).

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

I love post bound albums because of the way they look with two page layouts (no gap). That said, they won't hold as many pages as a 3 ring.

I remember reading a thread awhile ago that mentioned someone replacing the posts with something very similar but much longer that they found at HD or Lowes. I'd think it would be sturdier than using a bunch of extenders.

I have converted a few of my books to snap loads and I have about 50 pages (100 layouts) in them. Not sure if that would work for an over-stuffed album though.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Kim222 on 06-12-12 02:58 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

Oh-for cards--what I've done is take very heavy chipboard and decorate it with paint/ink/paper/etc making a front and back cover. Then I punched 2 holes in them and in the cards as well. Lined them all up and put them together with binder rings. Then I tied ribbons on the rings.

I have little books like this for wedding/anniversary cards, christmas cards and one for birthday cards.

Might save you some space in your album.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-12-12 03:14 PM
In response to Kim222

I've found that all my post extenders have snapped over time. But I also get a lot of use out of them. I love to look through my albums and show them to friends. I am careful with them, but I really do find myself constantly opening them to look for a specific photo or show something to some friends or family members. Please do keep us updated on how the screws work for you as I might try that. I too love the look of post-bound but out of about 10 albums I have had to replace the post extenders on every single one of them (over the course of about 8 years) and have since divided many of them into 2-3 albums instead (something I do NOT want to do with my wedding album - I'm like you, I want it all in one spot including all my cards and stuff).

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Vae

I would suggest a we R Memory keeper 3 ring binder they will take that kind of pages and the number your talking about. the we r pages will also hold major embellished pages!!!!

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to Sneezy1956

I just counted the LOs in the post bound album I am doing for my DDIL, there are 62 LOs and 31 page protectors. Most of them are flat. The album she bought cannot have extenders because the way the spin is covered - it won't expand any more than what I've put into it. She will have the rest of the LOs in a second album.

DDs album came with 100 page protectors. Its too big that way, way too heavy. It had to be divided also even with extra long posts I got at either HL or Ms.

Just do a Google search for extra long posts for scrapbooks. I think the ones I have are 1 3/8 inch long and are better than those itty bitty ones screwed together.
Hope that helps!

lilmrmaid
Angel
lilmrmaid
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
I love post bound albums because of the way they look with two page layouts (no gap). That said, they won't hold as many pages as a 3 ring.

I remember reading a thread awhile ago that mentioned someone replacing the posts with something very similar but much longer that they found at HD or Lowes. I'd think it would be sturdier than using a bunch of extenders.

I have converted a few of my books to snap loads and I have about 50 pages (100 layouts) in them. Not sure if that would work for an over-stuffed album though.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I replace all posts with these too and they work great. My dd's scrapbooks are over 5 inches thick. And they work.

BougainvilleaBride
New Kid On the Block
BougainvilleaBride
In response to lilmrmaid

After reading everyone's comments and then googling reviews for the snap load straps, I think this sounds like my solution... I'm going to buy them and use them to replace my large album at home to see how it holds up and how much space I would have for a larger album.... From the sounds of it (says it will hold 300 pages!!) this might be the answer to my prayers!!! LOL!!

Edited by BougainvilleaBride on 06-13-12 07:04 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ItsPronounced_Abear
Tenant
ItsPronounced_Abear

I'm in the same boat with my wedding album. I've already got around 60 LO's and I'm MAYBE half done. But I've already decided I'm going to bite the bullet and divide it into 2 books (Pre-ceremony/ceremony, and Reception/formals). I'm also making a 3rd book for "Wedding Events" that includes my bridal shower, bachelorette party, and rehearsal/dinner.

My J's (which is rather small) just started offering the straps. I've been meaning to look into them.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

You mention a 12x15 album. I've never seen scrapbook paper in that size - are you going to be able to find what you want in the way of paper? I do the Martha Stewart brand tried the huge albums in the beginning, but I haven't even seen those in quite some time, and they were really expensive as was the large sized paper. Most people use 12x12 or even 8x8.

BougainvilleaBride
New Kid On the Block
BougainvilleaBride
In response to dwelch

dwelch - Actually, I'm just going to use 12x12 paper and add 3 inches on the end, the page protector comes with a plain white page (they were very expensive, but I found someone on eBay who gave me a great deal and still overall cheaper to make a scrapbook then to have my photographer do an album), so I can also use those plain white pages as well and add embellishments to them.

ItsPronounced_Abear - Yeah I am doing seperate albums for the bridal activites and our honeymoon (2 albums for that) but I'm cheating a little bit with those and just bought 500 slot albums that I will just embellish to make them nicer.... The wedding album is going to be so time consuming I can't imagine making like 5 scrapbooks this year!! So, I'm so stubborn about the primary wedding album being just 1 elaborate beast.... Who knows though once I get started I might cave and make it into 2... But I'm really trying not to.

creater1
Diva
creater1

I have found the post at specialty hardware stores. They come in .5, .75, 1, 1.5, all the way up to 3"
The are not expensive and they are more stable that post extenders.
What I have found is a few issues most of the spine covers will not allow you to expand your books that much as they give you little material to work with. What I have found as a solution to that is I purchase a close match or complimentary match of decorator vinyl, leather or heavy fabric and use that as the center piece that covers all you page protectors.
One thing to keep in mind though is regardless your book will still be a little wonky and not as solid as if you use 1 to 1.5" post. Anything more that that you are pushing it.
I do get lots of pages in a book and I feel that the intrigity is there but once I have exhausted my stash of leather post bound books I am going back to the 3D binders.
There are pros and cons to both for sure.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics