Username Post: Die Cutting with a rolling pin?        (Topic#1577473)
lizzi97
Tenant
lizzi97

I recently saw a youtube video on how to use embossing folders with a rolling pin instead of a machine (www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8DRIPDNvxk). Have any of you tried this with die cuts? I like the idea of Nestabilities, but I'm not super interested in getting a Big Shot or anything, since I probably won't use any other die cuts. Do you think the rolling pin is a viable alternative? Thanks!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to lizzi97

I heard this technique years ago for embossing.

I even bought the plumber's gasket, have a big rolling pin and embossing plates. I haven't played with it much, but the one time I did try it, it really didn't work.

I imagine using the dies (for cutting) may be easier than embossing. I don't know.
Let us know if it works out for you.
Good luck!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to lizzi97

Nope, it won't work. It can work for embossing, but to get a clean cut, you're going to need a machine. Not to mention, it would be pretty dangerous using a lot of pressure on a sandwich of cutting plates, paper and dies - it would likely just shift/come apart and cause you to hit yourself with the rolling pin!

Edited by Here Kitty on 06-12-12 01:51 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Here Kitty

I considered using a pasta machine or clay roller, but those are really not cheaper than a craft embossing machine.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• Here Kitty Said:
Nope, it won't work. I can work for embossing, but to get a clean cut, you're going to need a machine. Not to mention, it would be pretty dangerous using a lot of pressure on a sandwich of cutting plates, paper and dies - it would likely just shift/come apart and cause you to hit yourself with the rolling pin!

I'm trying to imagine this...
How would you hit yourself with the rolling pin?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Bxr-Linda

Unless I'm mistaken, she's talking about cutting Nestability dies with a rolling pin. To do so, I imagine you'd have to use cutting plates, a Nestability, paper and then roll over them. Rolling over a die and paper won't do anything but mess up your paper. Rolling over a loose sandwich of cutting plates, dies and paper with a rolling pin WITH enough force to try to cut anything seems pretty dangerous to me.

Either way, it won't work

whateveriwant
Resident
whateveriwant

Yeah, I'm thinking that sounds dangerous too, LOL! I can't imagine it would work because the dies need the intense pressure of a machine, not just rolling over it.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to whateveriwant

If you just want to emboss but not cut, you can get the Texture Boutique which costs less than a Big Shot and is safer than a rolling pin

Edited by Kim222 on 06-12-12 02:51 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

lizzi97
Tenant
lizzi97
In response to Kim222

I didn't even think it might be dangerous! Just maybe not very effective.
Kitty-I forgot that plates would be involved, which would be slippery and messy.

Thanks for the insights. I guess I'll stick with hand-cutting for now.

Lidibids
Resident
Lidibids
In response to lizzi97

I use the rolling pin technique all the time for embossing, this works especially well when you are trying to blend edges, but it really does not work well if you want to cut. It is simply not enought over all pressure to get a clean cut

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics