Username Post: Help w/ paper colors        (Topic#1579471)
Resident

I am trying to work on my DDs 8th grade album. There was a large amount of monthly events, banquets, graduation, awards, etc. It's A LOT but would like to get most of it done before I have to start on the Freshman pages.

I am trying to do a 2 page layout of a service project they did for our parish and school which consisted of the 8th graders planting flowers, mulching, cleaning the grounds up for Easter.

I cannot seem to find the right color of paper. There are many colors in the 6 pictures I am using. The colors of clothing all the kids are wearing,(aqua, yellow, red) the green from the yard and trees, and red from the Japanese Maples, the blue from the sky...nothing I have tried seems to work. I do not want to use black and white photos because I like the colors from the nature which ties into the service project. All the other photos in the album will be color too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Trish

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to stvmom2

I'd pick one of the colors to play off of,,maybe the blue of the sky??? which color is the least? You might be able to pull that color out by using that color,,,,,,,if the red of the maples seems like it has the least color in the pics, use that red for the bg papers,,,,,

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to CommaHolly

Scrapbook.com has a free "scrap by color" tool that might help!

http://www.scrapbook.com/color/?m=color

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Luvmyfam

I like using kraft cs as a background......it goes with everything. If you don't like kraft, you could use a cream or white cs....then use a soft green or blue to complement the sky, grass etc as a matte/embellishment colour.
Alison

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to stvmom2

Here are 2 layouts using kraft as a background with colourful papers and embellishments. My son's birthday photos all had really bright red and blue in them so I just pulled those colours for the embellishments....

Friends By Kiyawinn

Balls of Fun By Kiyawinn

Alison

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to kiyawinn

Hmmm...the first thought that comes to mind is an aqua background color and red accent to highlight the maples. I like the idea of kraft as background too and then use aqua and red.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pugs223

Here are a couple I found in the gallery doing a color search....

...all of the colors you mentioned
Soakin' Up the Sun! By Dancinirish90

(no public embedding on this one)
http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/?m=image& id=368100...

Almost Summertime By Kzookeeper

And a few others that popped out at me
Deployment Rugby By Pam In TX

http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/layout/ 3682163.h...

Resident
In response to stvmom2

Thanks everyone! All wonderful ideas. I have never used or seen the Kraft CS before. Thanks for suggesting it! Can I get this at HL?

I may go with that for the background and I found some burgundy patterned paper last night in my stash that matches the Jap Maples very nicely and a few accents of aqua which is the color of my DDs shirt and I think it will work well!!

Thanks again for your creative minds and ideas!

Happy Tuesday~

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to stvmom2

Yes, HL sells packages of Kraft paper - it's really inexpensive as well!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Here Kitty

Kraft paper is one of my favorites to use!!! I might use it a little to much but it looks so good!!!!

Scrapbook Roadie
Resident
Scrapbook Roadie
In response to binkiemonstermom

Moxxie has a great collection called "Spring Has Sprung," which uses kraft as its main color. It might fit your needs with theme, too!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to Scrapbook Roadie

My thoughts would be a neutral brown. I have done several outdoor layouts with a neutral brown and the photos seem to just jump off the page.

Resident
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I have actually decided to use browns, lighter greens and burgundy and love how the colors are popping from the pics!

And I am off to HL this weekend to grab some Kraft paper.

Thanks again everyone!

Resident
In response to stvmom2

Thanks again everyone for your color suggestions. I think the layouts are turning out wonderfully. I am finished with the first page and half way there on the second. It took me longer to decide on paper colors than to do the layouts.

I decided to go with browns, lighter greens and burgundy with a tiny touch of aqua. I had some old colorbok papers that really work well with the photos. Plus they are leaf themed so it is perfect. I did not even think about these until the color suggestions here.

Also found a generic piece of paper with green trees and aqua trees that I have cut out that adds just the right touch.

I am pleasantly surprised at how well it is all coming together with the photos.

Thank you~
Trish

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics