Username Post: embossing newbie        (Topic#1579765)
amdoak 
New Kid On the Block

I am SUPER new to the whole concept of embossing. I read a couple of blogs and watched some videos on embossing 101. I purchased a heat tool from J's, a VersaMark ink pad in clear, and Ranger Embossing Powder in Holographic. I also have colored ink pad already.
I started playing around with the colored ink pad and the ranger embossing powder. But when I heat it (10 sec or so) all i can really tell is that the ink kinda gets brighter. When i hold the paper eye level, is there supposed to be some raised effect on the paper where I stamped and embossed? I think it maybe because of the color of the powder?...
Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I just feel like its a more expensive way of gluing and glittering some letters lol, but then again I'm totally new to this so I welcome all advice!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to amdoak

On these two pages I used Rangers Perfect Medium pens and the Ranger holographic powder to add glitz to the big white snowflakes & some branches. When I just now checked in my real album, I had to take the lo out of the protector to make sure it was embossed and not a sticker :>) It's raised and glittery-looking, but definitely not a sticker~ (The big ones right on the corners and along the border are 3-D stickers, but those more on the lo were printed, then embossed. I know it's hard to tell what's what on the screen. Come over to my house and I'll show you )

006 Snow Play By Mrsdriver5

007 Snow Play By Mrsdriver5

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-16-12 02:14 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

Mrsdriver - Where do you get the perfect medium pens? I don't even see them on the Ranger website, all I can find are reinkers and pads.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to stick

I got them either at J's or Mike's.

I just looked on J's site and they've changed their pack...of course :>( What I have were two pens, one bullet point and one brush. Now they come with 2 pens, 1 clear--both of mine are clear--and 1 black. They're shown as online only for $4.99.

Now J's also shows a pack of 12 clear bullet ($20.99) or a 12-pack of clear brush ($25.19). Guess I should have stocked up since I use the clear bullet all the time, but hate to spend $20+ for 12 pens at a time. Might be a good time to use a 40% coupon, but since online shopping only allows 1 coupon code, I get 40% off or free shipping w/min. purchase. Grrr...I wish they'd quit messing up the things I use :>) ~Judy

(Just looked again and those are the sale prices, so my 40% online coupon wouldn't be good anyway. I may order 12 bullets since it's actually a good price per pen.)

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-16-12 03:36 PM

I wonder if Aaron Bros. has them, then I could use a 50% coupon

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to stick

The embossing should definitely be raised. Can you post a photo of your results? Did the powder stay on the ink while you were heating it?

Here are a few examples I have of embossing.
On this LO, I stamped the doilies on white cardstock. I just used clear ink and clear powder. Then I rubbed pink ink over it - the embossed regions are ink-resistant and they are raised so they stand out from the page.
Stamping Challlenge Sample LO By Here Kitty

On this card, the silver cake and sentiment were heat embossed. You can tell close up that it is raised.
White Wedding By Here Kitty

On this card, I used blue embossing powder.
Damask embossed birthday wishes By Here Kitty

Some of my gallery items are linked to blog posts which show close-up photos. You can see the embossing better on these posts if you want to take a look.
June WEddings
Lily of the Valley

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to Here Kitty

The embossing should be raised and shiny, and in my experience all the Ranger embossing powders heat best if you holdyour heat gun to the back of your paper instead of to the front as one would normally do. Ranger has a couple of powders that are thicker and clumpier looking, they definitely heat better from the back, as the clumps tend to blow off if you hit them from the front.
Good luck, I love the look that emobossing gives to stuff, and if you like to color in your images, it keeps your ink from smearing.

Expert
In response to chocolateaxel

hmmm..I might have to try embossing after all after listening to all you ladies.

amdoak 
New Kid On the Block
In response to deedee49

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I will try and post a picture of the letters that I stamped and embossed. After taking a look at some of the LOs from the posts ppl made on here, I just think I'm doing something wrong. As I look at the paper, it looks slighty raised but not like some of the pics I've seen on here. Maybe bc the ink maybe drying out too soon? Or The powder isn't sticking enough to the ink? But I will deft try and heat dry from the back of the paper instead of the front and hopefully get different results.

amdoak 
New Kid On the Block
In response to amdoak

Also what are some good brands for embossing powders? and is it better to use rubber stamps or clear stamps? I already bought a set of alphabet clear stamps but just for future reference. Thanks again for all the help!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to amdoak

The stamps themselves don't matter as much as the ink. The ink is what holds the powder so the heat can melt it. I like Veramark ink.
As for powders, I like American Crafts Zing, Ranger, Stampendous, Judikins and a few more.

If you're using detailed stamps, you will definitely want a fine grain powder (detail powder). Sometimes the ones with lots of glitter and bigger granules will give you a blotchy image and erase some of the fine detail. Also, there are chunkier powders (UTEE - Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel)and powder mixes that are fantastic for other types of heat embossing - like covering chipboard or larger spaces - but not so good for detail stamp heat embossing.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Here Kitty

My Ranger holographic, which is what you said you had used, comes out "chunkier" than the regular Ranger powder that I use. The regular is raised and looks kind of like it melted together...which, I guess, is what it actually does. The holographic is more of a glittery look, but it really catches the light, which is what I wanted for my snowflakes. It still melts together, but with little chunks :>)

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I use versamark to stamp my image and then I use Stampin' Up embossing powders. I bought some cheaper powders at CKC one year and hated them, didn't get the whole embossing thing. Once I signed up to be a SU demo, I tried one of their embossing powders....they won me over!!!! I do think a good powder makes a difference. Stampin' Up powders melt like a dream. Feel free to look at my blog for projects I have embossed..it is my new favorite thing to do!!!! (or even my gallery here!!) Feel free to ask me any questions!!!

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to amdoak

VersaMark ink is great for any embossing powders.

Make sure you are using pigment ink with any embossing powders also.

Dye inks dry to fast and don't hold embossing powder very well or at all.

HTH

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics