Username Post: vellum and other non paper sheets        (Topic#1580441)
daschweder
Veteran
daschweder

I have a bunch of vellum and other non paper 12 x 12 sheets and don't know what to do with them or how to use them. They are all real pretty but not sure if you use them by themselves like sheets of regular paper stock or on top of the pages of paper as an accent?
The other non paper sheets are like a clear acrylic/plastic sheet with a design on it. Is that used the same as the vellum sheets or totally different than what I think?

Any and all help on what to do with all this great stuff is much appreciated.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to daschweder

Oh I love vellum sometimes I layer it over a piece of cardstock and it gives it a brand new look. Other times I have placed vellum over an embellishment or a sentiment that has been written somewhere to give it more dimension. You can punch vellum out in different shapes and use it that way as well! The clear acrylic/plastic sheet I have no idea what you do with that as I don't use it.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-05-12 05:25 PM
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Vellum IS paper, btw And I love it! I use it all the time. You can use it as a background paper, for matting, for embellies, for printing journalling and titles on. It's so fun! Here are some examples:

The grass at the bottom is a lime green vellum, and the matting for the two top left pics
Santa Barbara Zoo right By Stick

The large bright pine bough is a digiscrap element (a photo) printed on vellum, and the light green pine bough is Distress ink stamped on vellum
Bear, Yellowstone, 2008 By Stick

Here I used both bright yellow vellum and regular white vellum for the matting, journalling, and title (double-layered under the top journalling so it stands out better)
Soudan Underground Mine State Park By Stick

And here I printed the center photo on white vellum, and matted it with mulberry paper. It's a very vintage-y painterly effect in real life. The title is also on vellum.
Gooseberry Falls State Park By Stick

Edited by stick on 09-05-12 05:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-05-12 05:31 PM
In response to stick

Actually I think most of the white vellum in the mining LO is an extra-thick variety. But double-layering achieves almost the same effect

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

Ditto what everyone else said. If you go to Youtube and look for scrapwithshelby, she has a good video on overlays. Basically, they are quick embellishments.

Henri Jean talks about her piles of overlays, so she should be able to suggest some ways you can use them.

Like others, I run vellum and transparencies through the printer. I also keep the acrylic packaging material and use it for embellies.

The title banner on this page was done on packaging "plastic".

001 Tahoe Trips Title Page By Mrsdriver5

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to mrsdriver5

i use vellum for hand journaling, memorabilia pockets and matting. Sometimes I even cut out letters with it for a ghost letter effect

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Just G

The overlays I use are really cardstock with the holes cut where the picture goes and even the title and everything are already on it - all you do is pop your pictures in and dress them up - I love them!

The clear acrylic overlays you mentioned are nice too. I've used them a couple times but not many. I'll see if I can find an example of the two differnet kinds of overlays and also I have some velum I printed. I love to print on velum and run it through the xyron (The 5" wide one" and use it for my journaling. It is awesome for that. I show an example of that too.

For this one I printed on velum and ran it through the xyron to make the glue invisible - if you use glue on velum it usually shows but the xyron doesn't:
Melbourne, Australia By Henri Jean

This is a cardstock overlay - the kind with the openings and you just insert your photos:
Our Special Day By Henri Jean

This is a transparency overlay - clear 12 x 12 with a design or words. I took a piece of orange cardstock, glued down the photo and the "Halloween 2008" title. Then I placed the transparent overlay over it with the graphics. Then I slipped them in the sheet protector together - I do not attach my transparency overlays, no need to because the protector holds them in place:
Halloween With Hannah & Helga By Henri Jean

Looking at the last one - I need to go back and mat the photo!

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to Henri Jean

Henri, is that you and your hubby in the "Our special day" LO??

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Juansmom

No, that is my son and his wife.

I'll post on of my husband for you:

Bill - Bondi Beach, Australia By Henri Jean

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to Juansmom

Well my goodness, she looks a younger version of you!!!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Juansmom

She really does - I thought so too when I saw the thumbnail.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I will take that as a compliment - she has such big pretty blue eyes. And I'm so pleased that their daughter got the big blue eyes!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Henri Jean

It is definitely a compliment - I thought "Oh, there's Henri's kind pretty face and slightly wavy hair!"

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

Aren't you a sweetie!

But that is my oldest son and his new bride with their baby girl. Can't believe she just turned a year on Saturday!

Her hair is naturally curly on its own, mine is board straight - I have to coax a little curl or waves into it.

daschweder
Veteran
daschweder
In response to aquabunny

That all gives me a better and clear understanding of what to do with this stuff.. Thank you all very much. Now to go and see what all I have to work with and where I can use it!!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I love using acrylic and vellum too...same as pp
I also use it to "ghost" embellishments, punch out a butterfly and punch out a 2nd one with vellum, layer them.....
I also love printing my journalling on vellum

Alison

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics