Page 1 of 8 
Username Post: Scrappy Weekend        (Topic#1580487)
Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

I love going to 1 day crops but hate packing for them because I always bring too much (is there such a thing?!).

Next month, I'm heading to my very first weekend scrapbook retreat and wondering if anyone has any tips. It will be at a resort with no lss nearby, so I'm worried I may over-do the over packing I already do

What are your shoulds shouldnts dos dones donts?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

I have a 2 day crop coming up this month and I'm getting prepared now.

I have about 40 pages already made into kits with the paper, embellies, photos - everything in files so all I have to do is assemble the pages.

I also sketched out where I want things to go so I can make mats and glue and get things completed.

If it requires a punch, I am just taking the ones I actually need for particular pages.

I'm doing Cricut labels in advance, lifting them onto Drywall tape and then putting them on typing paper so I don't have to take my Cricut.

I will take my Slice - I like the way it does smaller letters better and will use it on some and will actually make those letters at the crop. BUt I alreayd know what I want the titles to say.

If I need to ink edges, most of that is already done.

Usually it takes me 10-15 minutes to finish a layout - sometimes 30 minutes to finish one but I go home with a lot of pages finished and I don't take everything I own. I know exactly what I need for each page.

I have a craft wagon which I love and it is the best thing I have ever found for crops. If there is room I put it behind my chair and work out of it. Really keeps it simple!

My Little Red Craft Wagon By Henri Jean

I just make sure I have plenty of ATG tape and my trimmer and the essentials like that. But I don't take a lot of stuff I don't need - and that is easy to do when you plan out all your pages in advance so all you have to do is put them together.

Plus I am able to talk to the ladies and enjoy the crop and not be working through slumps or blocks or trying to come up with ideas. SO many of the ladies just move stuff around on the paper trying to decide what to do - for hours - and then complain becuase they got nothing done. I like to get stuff done at crops!

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Henri Jean

Just take your basic tools you use over and again. Plan your pages, i.e., the paper and embellishments you want to use for your photos. We all have a tendancy to go overboard when bringing supplies to a crop.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to t-scraps

You are so right! I've watched some ladies bring 4 or 5 loads of stuff in and have as much stuff set up around them as if they were in the scrapbook store with no clue what they needed.

I've actually seen ladies bring portable shelving systems 5' high and start setting them up and then filling all the shelves for a 2 or 3 day crop. And still get almost nothing done besides haul stuff in and out and set things up.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

I am that girl who brings everything in her scraproom to a weekend crop: all paper, embellies, tools, cricut, etc. Thank goodness for a mini-van and the bed & breakfast's conveyor that takes it to the 3rd floor for me. I would spend more time trying to pick the perfect paper and would get less than half the amount of LOs done as the super women of the group.

This year I'm hoping to do things a little differently. I'm hoping to at least have my pics organized and paper picked out for the LO's. I'll still bring my embellies (one medium tote from HL); my rolling tool box that has paper trimmer, punches, etc; and maybe a small tote of extra paper.

Oh who am I kidding, I'll probably bring my whole scraproom again.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

You are so funny Peg. The person I go with takes her whole scraproom. I love her to pieces - but the stuff she takes! If I took more we would not both fit in her car with all her stuff! I've rally pared down what I take becuase I don't like packing and unpacking it.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

I know, the ladies laugh at me when I show up. But they also know if they need anything, I probably have it.

They also laugh because I take up half of a minivan with my scrap supplies but only have a little backpack for my clothes for the weekend.

I know I can't take all of my paper this year. It's surprisingly mulitplied in the last year and I'd need a U-haul to get it there.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to pugs223

One day I hope to be like you Henri Jean until then I am stuck taking a bunch of stuff to a crop, LOL. What I have actually started doing was bringing my pictures and my paper and getting them on the page and when I get home I finish the pages. This way has been working for me lately.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to thehappyscrapper8

That works for a lot of people Beth. I've done that on occassion when I needed a little more done to a page than I could do there.

The more prepared I am, the more I enjoy the crop.

I hear so many women say they will never go to another crop. They say they got nothing done so they won't go again.

My next crop is Sept 21st I think. Can't wait. Then a two day-crop the following weekend!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I go on 2 or 3 weekend crops a year. I certainly don't take my whole room with me, but I do overpack ... I've decided that's part of the fun

I do best when I spend the weekend scrapping a particular event (my son's Bar Mitzvah, a vacation) because then I can bring only what I need for those pics (i.e. no need to bring winter papers if I'm scrapping a summer vacation)

I love punches, so I bring a ton of those, and then the embellishments I think I will need for the pics I've brought. I do believe it is essential to at least go through your photo first and decide WHAT you are going to scrap ... otherwise, you can spend the whole weekend just going through your pictures.

Though I greatly admire how prepared Henri is for these weekends, it isn't the way I scrap, and I'm ok bringing too much stuff ...

(by the way, no matter how much I bring, there are always a number of people who bring much, much more than I do)

one more thing ... bring more photos than you think you will get through ... the last thing you want is to run out of pictures to scrap

have fun

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to madmatter

So true - I've seen people run out of things to scrap and be completely caught up. I think most only do that once.

My husband thinks I take a lot but what I take is someone modest to most. I just don't like packing and unpacking or lugging it in and out.

crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping

i just got back from a 4 day crop and i took everything. well, almost. it was an opportunity to organize my things that i haven't touched in quite a while.. That said... i really hurt my back carrying it all in. I was given an extra table for my overflow. Im not organized enough to do kits before I go. But, i would certainly recommend cutting your titles and embellishments in advance.

Edited by crazyaboutscrapping on 09-07-12 09:35 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to crazyaboutscrapping

I've only been to one all-day crop (last weekend ) and it was really good but I didn't bring much (2 small bags) and I didn't have enough. I did bring my notebook with me though, and I made a page of notes on what to prepare/bring next month, including page kits. Hopefully I'll get better.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to RedSquirrel

I have a shower tote with tools in it...you know the kind they sell to college kids for their dorm bathrooms? Pens & markers, pencils, a good white eraser, scissors,tweezers, various glue products, and a decent, reasonable collection of punches. Ok, maybe more than a reasonable amount of punches, so sue me, I like them. The tote is great b'cause its lite n has a handle, (at least before I cram it full! Ha!).

Then I have several Iris 12 x 12 boxes w/cardstock n paper, plus a box w/paper scraps (very, very handy!). The last Iris box has LO's in progress to finish, plus room to safely store newly finished LO's in. I try to keep the # of Iris boxes to 4 or 5 to ease in lugging it all in. These go in totes along with my craft mat and large cutting tools.

Finally I have my photo box, and since I scrap chronologically this is extremely easy to grab n go, and have plenty to work on.

I am not as organized as Henri, but I do have a general idea of what dates/topics I am scrapping n what papers/embellies I would like to use. I keep them in Sterilite stacking boxes at home, & sometimes just grab a selection & shove it in whatever bag has room. I am usually a huge overpacker so this gives me plenty of options, really!, and keeps it light. Sort of.

Believe me, bringing less paper actually insures that you USE your stash. If you know you want a certain design paper for a pic, make sure to include it in your packing! Or you will get creative and stash-bust!! I have done some of my best baby LO's this way, forced to use papers that are not baby blues and duckies!

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 09-08-12 04:55 AM
In response to Juansmom

I've found it really helps if you stick with a theme during crops. For instance, at one I scrapped all my Christmas pics and at another I worked on my wedding album. It really cut down on the amount of stuff I had to bring because I knew I wouldn't be scrapping little boy pics. I also skip bringing things like stickles and embossing powder - that's just too messy for a crop and there's nowhere for things to dry.

I have an all-weekend crop coming up at the end of the month and I've got to get cracking on what to bring!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to J-M

thanks for all the great ideas. i guess its worth it to put a little time in before the crop to organize and prep.
i still may overpack a litte bit, though, just because i can't go "cold turkey"

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

oh and henri!! i'm on the lookout for that craft wagon.....fabulous!!! at the very least, it would help me make one (or three ) trips instead of 10!!

res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d

I love your process of page kits!!! I haven't been to a scrapbook retreat ever!! But I do haul my stuff to the family lake house and it's a challenge making sure I have what I need and most of the time I don't!!! So I'm going to do this the next time I'm go!! Thanks for sharing (:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to res19s2d

It works for me. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it definitely makes the crop more enjoyable for me.

Kim - the wagon so many of us use is called a garden wagon and silly stores put them in the garden section most of the time! Walmart has them and the best price I found on them was at Sam's Club. But they are about $56.00 now - saw them last week. But I got them mine when they went on sale for $49.99.

They fold up to the size almost of an umbrella - all you do is pull a button up that is on the bottom of the wagon - takes about 3 seconds!

To me it is easier to have supplies in the wagon in those plastic 12 x 12 totes with handles and other large containers so you can load and unload them in the car easily. Much easier than having the wagon full of loose stuff.

Mine stays packed for crops. I have duplicate cutter, scissors, ATG and other things - and when my pages are worked into kits they go into the wagon. If someone tells me about a swap I just have to shower, change my clothes and grab my wagon by the handle. Its always packed and ready.

When I was working a page yesterday that needed a particular punch, I packed the punch so every thing I need for every page I'm working on is already in there. It stays ready to go!

I keep about 6 or 8 extra ATG tape rolls in my biggest container in my wagon too and extra glue pens and even extra rotary blades for my cutter.

And definitely - several extra pairs of cheap WalMart reading glasses!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

I just got back from a 12 hour crop. Most of the pages I completed were premade and had only little things to add. Titles were cut, pics were printed, and most of the paper was in place. I just added cropped pictures and bling. I finished 38 pages. (I do 2 pagers and two of each page - 2 boys). I also brought a bunch of punches to add some borders. Feeling pretty good right now.

Page 1 of 8 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics