Username Post: Altered Laptop        (Topic#1580595)
iuplori
Guru
iuplori

So, has anyone ever done or heard of decorating your laptop a la altered project? I'm thinking of trying this to cover some pretty unsightly scratches on the case and I'm wondering how it might work out. What do you think?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to iuplori

Back in college I decorated my laptop a bit, but it just involved taping some stuff down with packing tape and painter's tape and duct tape. Which are also the tools I used to try to repair a crack in the hinge. Man, I loved that machine.

Beyond that I think people just buy vinyl skins for them. If you have something you can cut shapes from vinyl with, you might be able to apply those to portions of the case, depending on the texture of the case.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-10-12 05:28 PM
In response to aquabunny

Sounds like fun, but I'd make it a really quick and easy project since you'll be replacing the laptop sooner than later. Mine is unintentionally decorated with droplets of nailpolish, lol.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to stick

I think you should try it.

iuplori
Guru
iuplori
In response to SoonerT

Thanks for the thoughts! I've already got stickle smears across many of the keys and electrical tape is holding the corner of the thing together, but I love my machine and will probably keep trying to rescuscitate it for a long time....now, to think through a theme for it...

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to iuplori

I bought some corner laptop vinyl stickers and some butterflies that are meant for a cell phone but I used them on my laptop.

Now it's "very girly" my husband tells me.

I'm in love with it and I love how it looks. There's even pink on it and I'm not a fan of pink.

New Kid On the Block
In response to foltzy

I have some vinyl stickers on mine as well. They're by MAMBI ... pink paislee designs on 2 corners, then "Think, Believe, Create" with bling and "Explore, Dream, Discover" in bright colors. I love how it looks and, yes, very girlie

I can't find a photo of my Macbook but THIS blog entry shows the stickers. They could cover up a lot and would be WAY easy.

But altering it would be fun too

Edited by Scrapbook Obsession on 09-10-12 08:12 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to Scrapbook Obsession

They're the corner stickers I have on mine and then I have 2 butterflies in the middle of them. The butterflies have bling on them as well.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to foltzy

I decorated mine with vinyl that I cut with my Cricut. Its says "Spoiled Brat" on it too

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to DittoBabyGirl

This topic reminded me of an incident that happened to my DGS. He got a guitar for his birthday a couple of years. He decorated it with lots of my left over stickers I gave him. His guitar teacher just scratched his head when he brought it in for his first lesson a few months ago.

OlesyaK.
Idol
OlesyaK.
In response to iuplori

i guess decorating with some washi tape etc might be simple and cute)
but I wouldn't cover it too much - first, you don't want the decor items to snag on anything, and second, you still want the heat exchange so the electronic parts don't overheat
(unlike some altered projects i've seen on the 'net, where every inch is covered in triple layers. gorgeous, but defeats the purpose)

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to OlesyaK.

Mine has a skin sticker decal that I bought from evil bay extremely cheap and it comes in various designs depending on your taste. It can be applied and removed pretty easy (I asked one of the engineers @ work to do it for me to avoid any bubbles on the application

Here is what I'm talking about: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313...

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to GIGIGI30

I keep thinking of altering my laptop but i want to make sure i can live six months from now with what i've done.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to cescrapper

Then adding vinyl shapes or skins would be ideal. You can remove them at any time without damage to the computer.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to aquabunny

I saw a scrapbooking tv program where one of the segments was about using your digital scrapbooking skills to make custom “skins” for your phone, tablets, laptop. You design it in a template, send it off to be reverse printed on adhesive plastic in the exact shape, and then you just apply it.

Diva
In response to Gelidy Gelato

INteresting ideas. I may try some of them!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics