Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: I am mad at Glitter        (Topic#1580745)
nicy 
Tenant
  • nicy on 09-16-12 06:45 AM

I am sooooo mad! I am not a good scrapbooker. But I study and follow utube and the various tutorials. Years ago, I bought the Cricut and glue and embossing powders and glitter and microbeads etc. Thought I could make my own embellies and save money. Well, I am done with glitter. After studying a tutorial on using heat and stick, I set upon my task and made such a mess that I just spent 20 minutes cleaning it up! It is not worth it. I am throwing away the glitter and sticking with Stickles. I just needed to write this because of the mess I made and the time consuming cleanup and because I will still be seeing glitter for months to come! And, those micro beads will not stick either. The roll all over the place.

Castle Scrapper
Diva
Castle Scrapper
In response to nicy

Glitter is too messy for me too, so I use Stickles instead. Much easier!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-16-12 09:22 AM
In response to Castle Scrapper

I have been looking for red damask paper for my wedding album. Well the only stuff I could find was on the back of a piece of glittery christmas paper. I thought no problem, I'll just wipe the loose glitter off and use the other side. Today, there is red glitter on EVERYTHING!!!! Soooo frustrating.

I did find something that said that swiffer sheets clean up glitter pretty well. I use dryer sheets on my table when I'm going to be using glitter and they work pretty well for cleanup too.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

SOmeof the scrapbook stores carry a cloth that is specially made to pick up glitter. It is awesome! I did have some so I'm sure I probably still do.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Henri Jean

I am a glitter LOVER, but I don't mind having glitter all over me, all over my floor, all over my furniture...lol I glitterfly EVERYTHING ;-)

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Crafting Marfa

You can use cheesecloth to clean up the mess. Paint department, used to wipe wood after sanding to remove all the dust. Its sticky! I think that's basically what the scrapbook cloth is, just relabeled and cost a lot more.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to SherylEb

I don't use loose glitter anymore either. Except glitter glass from SU but it is bigger and doesn't make as big as mess for me.
I love Stampin' Up's glitter paper! The work is all done for me and it cuts like a dream, and the most important part, the glitter stays ON the paper....not on me!!!!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to nicy

• nicy Said:
I am sooooo mad! I am not a good scrapbooker. But I study and follow utube and the various tutorials. Years ago, I bought the Cricut and glue and embossing powders and glitter and microbeads etc. Thought I could make my own embellies and save money. Well, I am done with glitter. After studying a tutorial on using heat and stick, I set upon my task and made such a mess that I just spent 20 minutes cleaning it up! It is not worth it. I am throwing away the glitter and sticking with Stickles. I just needed to write this because of the mess I made and the time consuming cleanup and because I will still be seeing glitter for months to come! And, those micro beads will not stick either. The roll all over the place.

When you say you watched a video "on using heat and stick"....what do you mean exactly? Were you using heat with the glitter? Is it a Cricut thing? (I don't use a circut)
I use glitter a lot but I use one of the glitter trays to pour it into and then back into the bottle. After I use craft wipes to wipe up my desk area.
When you use the ball-type glitter (microbeads) you need to give it a little puddle of clear drying glue to sit in....when it dries, it won't move anywhere......

I think you should give it another go
Alison

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to kiyawinn

I also use a glitter tray, but I can always find a way to make a mess. For any stray glitter on the table, on me...or wherever, I use one of the lint rollers made for clothes that has the tape on it. When it's filled with glitter, I just tear off that part of the tape and have a new section to use. Cheap, easy and doesn't take much room in my tool totebag. I use it every week or so on my table, even if I haven't been using glitter. It's amazing the junk that sticks to the tape that I couldn't even see.~Judy

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to mrsdriver5

Outlaw glitter! I don't like it' it's too messy.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to t-scraps

No one's said it yet?

Glitter is the herpes of the craft world.

Anyway, you can still make your own embellishments, you don't need glitter to do that.

normag_lil honey bee
Veteran
normag_lil honey bee
In response to aquabunny

This is too funny! I've had glitter in my stash for 7yrs and FINALLY used some this weekend

Diva
In response to normag_lil honey bee

I use the glitter only for my chipboard embellishments and letters. Nothing else. It is too messy and hard to stick to other surfaces.

RhondaR
Idol
RhondaR
In response to bayamonesa1

I love glitter...I use the tray also and one of the glitter cloths to clean up afterwards. I do tend to get it on my clothes but I only wear certain shirts when I'm scrapping so it's no big deal to me. It can be a little tedious at times but the effect is so worth it.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to RhondaR

You can send me all your glitter.

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to Here Kitty

I'll take your glitter. It works just fine for me with a coffee filter, Versamark and A Muse Studio Simple Stick powder. I do sometimes get glittered but it's usually on my hairline and cheeks...

rebeccakeppel
Idol
rebeccakeppel
In response to nicy

I haven't tried them yet, BUT Martha Stewart has some very cool products in the store for using (and controlling!!)glitter:
Glitter Tray

Glitter Clean Up Roller

Glitter Shaker Set

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to rebeccakeppel

Oh I love glitter so much the the mess is minimal to me. When I use glitter I also have glitter everywhere for a long long time.
Not unusal to see glitter all over my dogs back. Then where every they track it that I have not already tracked. But I still love the stuff.
Sorry that your experience was so unpleasant we all have our tolerance and while some of us can tolerate glitter spillage they are many scrapy thing that send me into a rage. Move on to the things that don't bother you. Stickles is definately a great alternative for glitzing things up

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to t-scraps

• Quote:
Glitter is the herpes of the craft world.

Melonhead
Tenant
Melonhead
In response to binkiemonstermom

Ya'll really need to watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4A5-luQh8A

It teaches glitter safety.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics