Username Post: I don't know what this is called...        (Topic#1580857)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 06:17 PM

I'm hoping someone can tell me a name for it so I can search for a video of how to do it.

I was in my LSS today and was looking at an amazing mini. One page had a pull tab, and when you pulled it, the pictures started flipping one by one. They were all kind of layered left to right with maybe a one-inch offset for each one so when it was just flat, you could see an inch of each picture, plus the top one. But as you pulled the tab, it kind of "opened" and the top picture flipped over to the left, then the next, and so on.

I don't know if this is making any sense but if anyone has any idea what I'm talking about I would appreciate any help! Thanks!!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-18-12 06:25 PM
In response to Vae

I think it's called a flip card or swing card. For pop-ups and mechanical paper constructions you might also want to check out these books: "Pop-Up Design and Paper Mechanics" ... "Elements of Pop-Ups" ... and "Making Mechanical Cards." Also the blog extremecards.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to stick

That sounds really cool! Should've snapped a quick picture! I'm going to keep my eye on this post, I'd love to know more about this!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 06:32 PM
In response to stick

Thanks!!! I found a video on a swing card and that was close, but a "related" video showed a Waterfall and that's what I was looking for because it shows several pictures flipping over. Thanks again!!

For anyone wondering what the heck I'm talking about, here's the video: Waterfall Card

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 06:34 PM
In response to Vae

Tanya, I actually did take a very crude video of it. The thing is, I didn't want her to see me taking the video because they do a class on it every few months. Only right now, there isn't one on the schedule yet and I didn't want to wait! So I took a video but I was hoping not to have to post it LOL

Jaci67
Jaci67 
Resident
Jaci67
In response to Vae

Close To My Heart has a book called "Magic" that teaches you all those techniques. They have discontinuted it but you can still find it online in some stores. It's amazing!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Jaci67

glad you found it,,,,I received a waterfall mini as a gift a couple years ago, and it's still, to this day, one of my fav albums!!!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-19-12 07:32 AM
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
Thanks!!! I found a video on a swing card and that was close, but a "related" video showed a Waterfall and that's what I was looking for because it shows several pictures flipping over. Thanks again!!

For anyone wondering what the heck I'm talking about, here's the video: Waterfall Card

I have made and taught classes for a mini- waterfall album - probably uses the same principle. I can't view the video here at work.
If that doesn't work for you let me know - I should have the instructions somewhere.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-19-12 04:55 PM
In response to GMFTS

Thanks Jaci! I'll have to look for that book. It sounds magical! I wonder why they would discontinue something so fabulous.

Mary, thank you so much for the kind offer. If you happen to run across the instructions, I would appreciate it, but I don't want you to go to any trouble.

Thanks everyone!

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to Vae

Thanks for posting this. I just love "moving parts", or "interactive" Cards or LO's. I think it should be the wave of the future!!!

simplycrafty
Veteran
simplycrafty
In response to Love 2 Learn

I was going to say waterfall I love that!! Some people can really make it work!! I haven't tired it yet!

Diva
In response to simplycrafty

I have done these cards and I love them!

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to bayamonesa1

That card was very cool, I would love to do the same thing on a mini album, like Jarvae said, sideways. How cool!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to tanyaham

Very neat card. I am going to attempt making it at some point

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to thehappyscrapper8

It's a waterfall card and they are very easy to make tons of video's on you tube.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Sneezy1956

I need to remember to look at this at home sometime (YouTube is blocked at work and I wouldn't want to watch anything with audio at work anyway). Is there anywhere that has the directions for this in text instead of as a video?

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to aquabunny

I want to make one of those! I also saw on posted on youtube this card http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUzBxNNSgeM&a mp;feature=... I want to learn to make one of these too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics