Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Sizzix Big Shot or Cuttlebug        (Topic#1580935)
New Kid On the Block

I'm new to scrapbooking and looking for something that will both cut complicated embellishments and emboss paper.

I saw these two and they seem reasonably priced, which is better?

Is there one that uses all brands of dies?

Are these like manual versions of the Cricket?

Is there a way to make your own dies to use in either of these?

I have literally spent hours online searching for answers and I am even more confused and with more questions.

I'd also like to emboss on larger paper 12" x 12", unless its simply too expensive to get a machine that embosses that size.

Any ideas or opinions?
Products Referenced in This Post:

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to ♥HappyCat♥

Between the two, I like the Big Shot better. The big shot will cut everything that the cuttlebug will cut and more. I am a Stampin' Up demo and we sell the big shot so we have a lot of exclusive dies and folders available.
The big shot will cut most nesties except the grande ones. It will cut all the embossing folders I have found!
The big shot is a manual machine. I like the big shot more than my cricut. Just for ease of use! I use my cricut but I would say I use my big shot 2x more!
There is a way you can make your own embossing folders- google it, there are several youtube videos on it. I have never tried it.
There is no machine at this time that has 12X12 embossing folders out. The big shot pro is the only machine that might eventually have them. I have the pro as well, but honestly it mostly sits on my shelf. It weighs 44 pounds by itself...yes, 44 pounds!!! It is a HUGE HEAVY machine. The embossing folders were supposed to be available by now but are yet unavailable, make me think they are not going to be available anytime soon.
The big shot is a great buy!

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to binkiemonstermom

I have the cuttlebug and love it. The platform folds up so it takes up less storage space than the BigShot. It will work with any of the embossing folders available, from any vendor. It comes with standard size plates. For the long folders, you need to get the longer plates. It will work with all of the dies except the very large ones.

No, you cannot make your own dies. The cricut is a lot more versatile, as you can vary the size of each of the images and manipulate them in many ways. The manual die cutters work with fixed size dies. If you want different sizes you would need to find sets that include multiple dies, such as the Spellbinders Nestabilities in geometric shapes. That can add up to a lot more money than a single cricut cartridge that includes dozens or hundreds of shapes, each of which can be resized.

You may want to get both the electronic and manual machines, as each has its pros and cons. I use my cuttlebug more frequently than the cricut because its so handy, and I love the embossing effect. There are a few combination embossing dies/folders you can get.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Solitaire

I would love to get the E-bosser, but for now, my cuttlebug is versatile enough and takes up very little room on my desk ... it was also very inexpensive since I bought it with a coupon

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Solitaire

• Solitaire Said:
I have the cuttlebug and love it. The platform folds up so it takes up less storage space than the BigShot. It will work with any of the embossing folders available, from any vendor.

Not anymore - Spellbinders has just introduced a line of A4-sized embossing folders that measure 8 1/4" x 11 3/4".

Scrapingbliss
Mayor
Scrapingbliss
In response to aquabunny

I have the cuttlebug right now and it does a wonderful job! Love it. BUT, sometimes the feet don't stay very stable, when I use the larger, thicker dies I have to really push it through enough for the rollers to pick it up and the it's awkward making the sandwiches. (I'm a bit clumsy so probably just my issues) I was looking at getting the Big Shot with it's larger base, but then I found the Ebosser and bought that. So far I'm not impressed with the Ebosser and I'm kinda wishing I just bought the Big Shot. Not bad mouthing the Ebosser yet, just waiting to see what they do about my issues.

If money was not an issue I would go with the Big Shot, just my opinion.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

• binkiemonstermom Said:
The big shot will cut everything that the cuttlebug will cut and more.

What does the Big Shot cut that the CB will not?

scrappin 2
Governor
scrappin 2
In response to Here Kitty

Get the Big Shot. It seems to be on sale for $59.99 in a lot of places. It makes me wonder if they are clearanceing them out and are coming out with a 12 incher, or something new.

Watch a You tube video on the Big Shot. It cuts almost all other dies and embossing folders. I'd go with it. I love mine. Michael's has had the embossing folders on sale for 50% off.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome

This very question is asked all the time Here are just a few of them.

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15776...

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15729...

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15676...

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to scrappin 2

• scrappin 2 Said:
Get the Big Shot. It seems to be on sale for $59.99 in a lot of places. It makes me wonder if they are clearanceing them out and are coming out with a 12 incher, or something new.

There already is a 12 inch cutting Sizzix, it's the BS Pro.
Cuttlebugs are also quite inexpensive. I just looked the other day at my HL and I could get one for less than $50.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome

• Here Kitty Said:
  • binkiemonstermom Said:

I was under the impression that they cut the same things.

Diamond Events by Tiffany

• Here Kitty Said:
  • binkiemonstermom Said:

I would like to know the answer, as well...since the lady who posted this sales these...surely she can let us know all about it. I am considering another manual machine (I have the cuttlebug as well as the grande calliber)...

I LOVE my cuddlebug. The only reason I am considering another machine is I tried to cut something earlier this morning and it was too thick...idk if I should push it thru, I would be sad if my bug broke.

Thanks.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to Diamond Events by Tiffany

I just got the cricut expression 2 is it necessary for me to have a cuttlebug or a big shot? I have the little texture boutique embossing tool made by sizzix which I love so do I need another machine that will cut dies or am I good to go with my cricut?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to thehappyscrapper8

A lot of people, myself among them, like having both. But you don't need to have either one of them.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to aquabunny

Diamond Events said:

"I LOVE my cuddlebug. The only reason I am considering another machine is I tried to cut something earlier this morning and it was too thick...idk if I should push it thru, I would be sad if my bug broke."

You need to use a C plate, which is thinner than the B plate. For some dies, you can use several layers of card stock. You can even get a set of foam plates (made by Spellbinders), or cut up your own from a foam sheet.

Diamond Events by Tiffany
In response to Solitaire

Thanks, Solitaire. I was racking my brain for a solution and you spelled it out for me. Gonna try that.

I found an OLD Sizzix at a charity shop today and it looks like it has enough room to get the material I am using thru... I just gotta figure out how to use it...LOL

Tiffany

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Diamond Events by Tiffany

I am sorry, I mispoke...I have the big shot and the pro, I was thinking of the pro. The pro can cut the same as the cuttlebug and more....ie the bigger dies that don't fit in the cuttle or regular bsh. I don't use my pro as much as my regular big shot but the pro can cut the larger dies (12X12) and the larger nesties. I find the pro harder to use because I have to figure out the right sandwhich all the time. I have read that they came out with a platform like the mulitpurpose platform for the regular for the pro which would make it a LOT easier! I don't have it yet but I need to get it. I just hate to drag it off the shelf all the time. The big shot is easier for me to grab. I do take it to crops, so it isn't to heavy.
Manual machines can only cut one size (whatever size the die is) but an electric machine can be sized. I would say the learning curve on an electric machine is a little more than a manual. Manual machines are very easy to use.

Both the cuttlebug and the big shot are great machines. I like the handle on the big shot slightly more than the cuttlebug (the newer version has the fold in handle). Not a big issue but just one difference that I prefer.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

I prefer the Big Shot to the Cuttlebug. I had both. Sold the Cuttlebug. My Big Shot is more stable and cuts things better. I used to topple my Cuttlebug a lot. And need is relative. Need all you want.

New Kid On the Block

Hi
Thank you ALL so much for your responses! I like hearing from people who actually USE the products, because you can get a better feel for the pros and cons. Now do either of these handle paper bigger than 8 inches wide like a 12" x 12" or do I need to look for another product? I know if I go with something that only does 8 1/2 inch across paper, I might regret it if at some point I decide to do a larger project. Size isn't an issue, I'm an artist so I have room in my studio to just leave it out on a table, I guess I'm just hoping to find the machine that does a little of everything. Embossing, cutting etc. I have made plates before with metal for stamping and embossing, I guess I'll just have to actually get one of these and check out the dies they use to see if I can make my own.

and OMG 50% off at Michaels--I love that store....

Well now I just saw the Sizzix BigKick which also embosses metal. sigh.
I would love to emboss sheets of tin as well. I am starting to think I will need to buy more than one machine!

Is there one machine that will cut or emboss everything from cardstock to thin copper or tin? That can take all competitors dies?

Edited by ♥HappyCat♥ on 09-21-12 09:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ♥HappyCat♥

I love my Michaels too! We have a HL and Joann's just as close but the people are so much more helpful at my Micaels - and knowledgeable!

Just got a Big Shot. I only used it once - cut some Nesties and it was great but I got it and we left on vacation 2 days later. Just got home for a couple days and my son is in the hospital out of town. When we get hom, I plan to use it!

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics