Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Can members disappear?        (Topic#1581509)
elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2

I have been trying to find a member here on Scrapbook.com, but it seems she has completely disappeared. The LO's I had in my favorites are gone, the public comments I got from her are gone and in my gallery I have some comments from "Unknown"? Also she disappeared out of my friends list.
If someone ends their subscription, does this mean automatically everything will be removed?

Edited by elsje2 on 10-07-12 02:19 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to elsje2

You can delete all your uploaded LOs etc., and if you ask for your account to be deleted, everything else will go as well. The comments and posts will still show, but as there is no account associated with them, the poster will show as "unknown" or "anonymous".

It seems as if that is what has happened with your friend. I don't believe users just time out through inactivity, because there are many on here who haven't posted for years but their accounts are still there.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel

That is what I think too becuase there are a few people who asked to be completely deleted.

Several have gotten upset in heated board discussions that got out of hand and just left and asked for everything to be removed. I personally know of 2 that happened to.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Henri Jean

Wow! I wonder if that is why? I can't say that I've seen a board discussion so heated that anyone should leave SB.com because of it. I think I'm just not that easily offended anyway but mostly I think it's funny when people get upset. So many times it's because they have misunderstood a post. I've even caught myself posting on boards and then I go back and read it and laugh because it reads like DUH!

I seriously don't think I would go to the trouble of having my account deleted. Taking it just a little too seriously to me.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to CrimsonMama

I don't know if they get so offended by a discussion that they leave, but some people have been targeted in discussions over and over again, which makes their overall experience here not good.

Other members have gotten stalked/harassed from "real life" people in their lives who have found their account here, so they want to disappear that way.

And some just like to clean house with their online activity when no longer use the website.

And I suspect some big-time swap flakers just like to disappear completely after they get caught.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to scraprabbit

What is a swap flakers??

I am on several boards and it happens from time to time. I tend to think maybe their life got busy and then didn't have time anymore.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to binkiemonstermom

One person wasn't on the boards in a long time and I emailed her personally. She told me she had everything deleted - she felt attacked in some of the discussions that got really heated and it was getting to intense for her. It had just happened too many times so she asked to be completely deleted.

ANother woman and I emailed after she left and she said she had gotten her head chopped off a few times too many so she had her account deleted.

If I know of those two cases who told me personally that is why they had their accounts deleted, there has to be more.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to binkiemonstermom

• binkiemonstermom Said:
What is a swap flakers??

I am on several boards and it happens from time to time. I tend to think maybe their life got busy and then didn't have time anymore.

a swap flaker is someone who doesn't live up to the terms of whatever swap they've agreed to. ie they agree to make something for a swap, but don't follow through. there was also a case in the past couple of years where someone was collecting money and supplies from people (worth lots of $) and then disappeared with it all. I don't know all the details.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Tina scraps

I think some people can find their experiences here (or on any board) too intense and rather than backing off or going away, they request their accounts to be deleted.

I knew one woman who did this board after board after board. She seemed nice, but was very odd and posted odd things. She would flip out and attack people publicly, and then blame these same people for her experience. She left.

I knew another woman who confused me with another member here. I pm'd her because I don't feel that personal drama needs to be addressed publicly. She attacked me for several long-winded posts whle I kept asking, "Why are you writing this?" and "What did I do" and "Why are you attacking me,". It took me several posts and hours of reading to realize she thought I was someone else. She requested that her account be deleted shortly after that.

Bottom line.....people come, people go, and some people love to create drama and then go out with a burst of flames.

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to Luvmyfam

Thank you for all the clarification. I had no idea it was possible to have everything deleted completely, but I think it is a good thing it can be done if you request. I sincerely hope this person did not leave because of any experiences she had, but I can not believe she was deleted because of her behavior!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to elsje2

I can't believe some of the stuff that goes on. We should all be cyber friends that respect everyone has different philosophies/backgrounds and different ways of getting their messages across. I think people do or say certain things and then wish they hadn't and it is just easier to leave. It happens in real life; it happens here too.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to 950nancy

Els, I think the only time someone completely "disappears" is when Megan (forum-tech) thwacks them hard with her mop. I have seen spammers completely disappear, but not members.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to Luvmyfam

We run about one a week. Not counting spammers.

Everything from getting their panties in a twist, to being stalked online, to not liking to have "unattended" accounts out there.

It is permanent, so they usually get done after a day or so unless it's a stalking thing. 'cause once that button is pushed....

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Thanks Megan. I will make sure I have my favorites also stored somewhere else!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to elsje2

Els - I am trying to locate someone on the boards and she just completely disappeared - I'm getting "anonymous" when I click on one of her old posts.

Everything is gone from her gallery and everything is just gone all together. Her posts are still there but her name is not on them.

This is a person who was only on some challege threads and a few critique groups. She was not on any of the board threads here, or at least I never ran into her on the main boards.

She was never controvoserial and never got into a squirmish with anyone.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to elsje2

Duplicate post - my bad.

Diva

I think also that people's account can be deleted by SB.com if there are complaints about them.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to bayamonesa1

Henri Jean -

A fairly significant number of the delete requests I see are from "life forces" off the site. So while I'm A> too lazy to dig thru the huge pile of tickets we get and B> wouldn't comment on someone's specific request if I found it....it's quite possible that life happened to whoever this is.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Thanks Megan.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

Henri Jean - I don't know who you're talking about, but I sure hope she's ok.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics