Page 1 of 5 
Username Post: Whar do you do when you have too much stuff?        (Topic#1581615)
Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

I mean paper, embellishments, whatever I feel so swamped and don't know where to begin. I really need to downsize, I have too much stuff. I am not prepared to tackle anything, what the heck do I do????

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Mia1979

Have a give-away?
Gift some to a friend who would like to papercraft?
Donate to a local school or organization?
Have a garage sale?

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to Mia1979

I move other stuff out of the way to make room for more scrapbooking supplies. lol Since were finally done with cub scouts I moved all my leader stuff into boxes and under the bed it went to make room on the bookshelf for more scrapbooking stuff.

lol May have to more the aquarium to another room someday to make more room. lol

I have a hard time parting with scrapbooking stuff. I keep thinking someday i'll need it.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Here Kitty

I was in your position... I stopped spending and made kits until I got my stash to a more manageable size. There's still a bunch of stuff that I don't use, but I'm not ready to get rid of it, so it's off by itself in a corner. I used some of my stash to fund the prize tote for my getaway weekends and donated a bunch of stuff to an art teacher friend for her classrooms.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to Cindyckj

Hi, I'm Mia and I'm addicted to scrapbooking supplies.....

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Mia1979

• Mia1979 Said:

If you decide that you need "help" and go on Hoarders Buried Alive to deal with your stash, you need to let us all know so we can plan a viewing party...

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to Mia1979

• Mia1979 Said:

Tell me about it. lol

Being a divorced mom and money being tight I keep telling myself that even if I don't like the 10 year old sheet of scrapbooking paper with a cat bed on it that I haven't figured out how to use that someday i'll figure out how to use it.

and the way my luck is that as soon as I get rid of it that's when i'll need it.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to moxiegirl23

• moxiegirl23 Said:
  • Mia1979 Said:

If you decide that you need "help" and go on Hoarders Buried Alive to deal with your stash, you need to let us all know so we can plan a viewing party...

I'm sure we'd all come and help you thin your stash out. lol

Maybe you can find a good storage system to help organize it better so you don't have to thin it out?

Kathy Edwards
Veteran
Kathy Edwards
In response to Cindyckj

Hi, I'm Kathy and I'm addicted to scrapbooking supplies..... and I'm keep it all!!!!!!!!!

Kathy Edwards
Veteran
Kathy Edwards
In response to Kathy Edwards

who said I had to much!!!
no I need that!!!
wait I'll find somewhere for that!!!!
It mine all mine!!!! but if you come over and scrap with I'll share with you.LOL

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

Oh, you poor thing! There is no such thing as "too much" in the Land of Scrapbooking!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-10-12 02:47 PM

I'm trying to make kits with mine. Not like perfect kits where I have everything planned out. But what I have learned is that I have a bunch of things and when i look at them, I had a very specific thing in mind when I bought it. Then when I go to make that page, I have forgotten about that thing. So now, I'm looking at my stash first, gathering together things that I got for a particular project or topic, and THEN I will add the pictures and make a page. Otherwise I stand there for hours staring at all my ******** not knowing where to start.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Mia1979

I think that you just have to sit down and go thru each stack and decide if you will realistically use it or not. If you will use it, either make little kits, where the paper and embellishments coordinate or share a theme, or organize it by type of product such as a cardstock section, patterned paper section, stickers, stamps, etc.

Then what you don't want any longer, you can either donate to a woman and children's shelter or sell.

Hope that helps!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to createwithcare

Organize/label! Even though I have waaaay more stuff than I need, I can put my finger on just what I'm looking for in an instant. Believe me, that really cuts down on the frustration. Of course, I'd be willing to take off your hands what you can't use!

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to moxiegirl23

• moxiegirl23 Said:
I was in your position... I stopped spending and made kits until I got my stash to a more manageable size. There's still a bunch of stuff that I don't use, but I'm not ready to get rid of it, so it's off by itself in a corner. I used some of my stash to fund the prize tote for my getaway weekends and donated a bunch of stuff to an art teacher friend for her classrooms.

How do I make kits?

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Lunareclipse

• Lunareclipse Said:
  • moxiegirl23 Said:

How do I make kits?

Making kits is just putting pp and cardstock, embellishments, photo mats etc. together to make a page sometime in the future. Everything matches and is all together. Lots of people make kits to take to crops so you don't have to take your whole scraproom with you to the crop....
You can add a page design with it if you like and put the whole thing in a plastic bag so it's ready to go....

Alison

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Mia1979

I have lots of stuff myself....I think scrapbookers tend to buy lots and hoard lots...haven't met a scrapbooker yet that has been doing it awhile and doesn't have tons of stuff!

I don't like clutter, though....I go through my stash once a year and weed out old stuff, things I no longer like or wonder why I bought in the first place.....
I sometimes sell stuff in my LSS garage sale (they have one twice a year) or donate to our children's hospital.

I like feeling that everything I have, I really love....I can't hold onto things just for the sake of holding on to them. I just got to the point where I could look at an item and ask, "Do I really love this?" instead of asking "will I ever use this?"
The former is more likely to make me throw it away, the latter will make me hold onto it in case I can ever use it....

Everything is really organized as well. Everything is in bins, labelled on shelves so I know where everything is. If a bin is getting too full, I know it's time to start weeding....
I work better when I'm happy with everything I have as well...
The big plus to weeding stuff out once a year or so is that I can BUY MORE STUFF!

Alison

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to kiyawinn

I sent a ton of stuff to the art teacher at my son's school --- she was beyond thrilled.

I gave lots of stickers to the little girl next door -- kept her pretty busy.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Mia1979

• Mia1979 Said:
I mean paper, embellishments, whatever I feel so swamped and don't know where to begin. I really need to downsize, I have too much stuff. I am not prepared to tackle anything, what the heck do I do????

Easy.....start using it! Pick up the nearest item and start scrapping with it. Don't buy anything new until you make a considerable dent!

This comes from my "Do as I say, not as I do" collection

Kathy Edwards
Veteran
Kathy Edwards
In response to chocolateaxel

I say amen to that!!! Thanks you know me so well!!!! LOL

Page 1 of 5 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics