Username Post: Inspiration Board        (Topic#1581629)
dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

OK, I feel a little stupid finally asking this question. I thought eventually I'd see something that clicked. Exactly what IS an "inspiration board"? I see such a variety of things on them, and really none of it has much to do with scrapping. I'm missing something here - someone explain without making me feel like more of an idiot than I already do!

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to dwelch

Items that inspire you? They look like a collage of a junk drawer to me.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to t-scraps

Never heard of it... hmmm...
Now I'm curious too!

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Doreena

Inspiration boards on sb.com? Where? I'm always missing the good stuff.

I have a pinterest board that I use for things that inspire me for scrapbooking..some of it, I'm probably the only one that would "see" the inspiration. It might be the colors, it might be the texture, it might be a design. Jewelry might give me an inspiration for making an embellie, quilts might give me inspiration for a pattern for a background, an embellie or even an overall design for a page, a sign might give me inspiration for a title design or how to do journaling in a different way, etc., etc. Like I said..it might just be my silly way of thinking that "sees" the inspiration.

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to Doreena

I think of it as a place to hang or put things that inspire you in some way. It could be a color palette you want to try, a magazine ad that interests you to lift, a quote or story, pics of your family or friends, or anything that peaks your curiosity and adds to your creativity! It's going to be different for every person, because we are all different.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Babylou

Thanks for the comments. I'll just consider my Pinterest account as my "inspiration board"! I agree with "t-scraps" - most of the ones I've seen look more like a junk drawer collection, but then again, I guess I won't judge what may inspire someone.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to dwelch

I'm confused, is this a term referring to a specific type of thing? When I think of what I guess I would call my inspiration board, it's cards by other people and technique samples tucked into the ribbon boards next to my scrapping table.

Diva
In response to aquabunny

Is to collect on a board what inspires you. Could be anything, from paper, fabric, a postcard, etc. For me it is too busy. Not sure if I will get that inspire to do one!!!!!!!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to bayamonesa1

Yeah, this still isn't clear to me. The way people were referring to them (like multiple people saying they usually look like a junk drawer), and the fact that people seem to have seen quite a number of them somewhere, made me think this was some specific trend that had gone over my head. And describing it as "too busy" and needing to be inspired to do one still makes it sound to me like it has a specific meaning as a type of project requiring effort or creativity. If it isn't - if my ribbon board of cards and ideas that took no planning is as valid as any other type of "inspiration board" - then why are they described as all looking similar, where is this a thing that there are a lot of pictures of, why are people talking about them as though they are by definition a project in and of themselves?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-11-12 11:40 AM
In response to aquabunny

I haven't heard of this for scrapbooking, but I do have an inspiration board at home. It's not cluttered... everything is matted on a large piece of foam board. But it's pictures of things that represent goals I have or things that inspire me. Right now I have some postcards of a few places I really want to travel to, I have a picture of myself when I was in really good shape, and then just some pictures of things that make me smile every time I see them. I change my board up from time to time too but that's what I use it for. I have similar pinterest boards as well.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Vae

Pinterest is where I've seen so many of them. If you go out there, you can just search for "Inspiration Boards" and it will pull them up. They seem to be used primarily for scrapbooking/crafting.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to dwelch

I have an "inspiration binder". It's where I put scrapbooking/card ideas that I have collected from magazines, books, even scrapbook.com. I divided it into a couple sections like "interesting title ideas".

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I know they use them for interior decorating. You make a board with colors, materials and pictures of what you like. I guess you could do the same for scrapbooking. I also have a inspiration binder, where I keep prints of all the LO's I find here that inspire me and things from magazines.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Doreena

I have seen people have them in their scraprooms. Most of the time it is a bulletin board & they attach things they want to try. I have binders that I have my inspiration in but some people use it to put things they want to try or do in the near future so they don't forget.

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62
In response to dwelch

I hve a chicken wire frame I use. I might pin up 2 or 3 colours together ,a pic from a magazine, a quote or title I thought of. A sketch, just anything that catches my fancy. I keep a note book on my desk and also by my bedside. I'm sure we've all woken at 2.15am and thought of the title that would be perfect for what we're working on. : )

BUT Are they talking about a board where you pin things as goals. I've heard of boards,like you pu up where you want to go , what you want to save for, photos of a slimmer you ect.. It's visual board that reminds you of your goals.

Edited by ajsophios62 on 10-29-12 11:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics