Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Help! I'm stuck.        (Topic#1581721)
New Kid On the Block

I need some help! I'm stuck - I haven't scrapbooked in months I've scrapbooked for years, but lately, not so much. I have tons of tools, supplies and papers, plus plenty of pictures to work on, but I can't seem to find motivation to sit down and do anything. Looking online doesn't help jumpstart my creativity either. Any suggestions??? Anything would be helpful! Thank you!!

Erin

Seaside Dreams
Veteran
Seaside Dreams
In response to SupplyLady

I totally get this - I've been there. The only things that seem to help me get going again are: 1) just jump in and do something, even if it ends up being garbage after you're done, and 2)scraplift something.

Either way, I find that the more I stress about getting started, the less inclined I am to actually start. Once I get going, I'm good..and it comes back, sort of like riding a bike.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

I always get motivation when I go to the store & look at the stuff. I also get lots of inspiration from the amazing gallery here. I see you are new. The gallery here is AMAZING. Try it. OR try a card. sometimes that helps. there are cards here too. hope that helps. WELCOME. this is a great place.

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens
In response to anda11

When I get in that mood, I make cards to add to my stash. I almost always end up moving to my scrapbooking and actually get some pages done. Good Luck, I hope your "scrapping mojo" comes back soon.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to lifethroughalens

I have those momments, I say look through the gallery, do you have any magazines? Look through those pics and start crafting.

wiccan333
Tenant
wiccan333
In response to anda11

I think everyone gets a designers block once in a while.
My problem is I get too many ideas and when I have the chance to get into my craft room I nearly flatline on which one I want to do first.

I currently have 4 Halloween cards in various states of completion with a homemade sketchbook that I carry with me with 4 more layouts waiting to be born AND about 12 different Yule card layouts.
Now, if I can get the time and find all of the supplies, which I know I have...somewhere, I can get these started!!

I go to the local bookstores and look at all of the magazines for cardmaking, scrapping, multimedia, stamping, journalling, etc. My local stores have cardmaking mags from Great Britain that have not only great ideas but they give you free things! The September issue of one of the mags gave me a complete set of clear Yule stamps with matching papers. That mag gave me a bunch of ideas. I usually look at their card and think, "That's nice, but if I did this, it would be great!". Then I come home and dig in or I go out to the parking lot to sit in my car and sketch my idea out in my book.

Just FYI, if you decide to make your own sketchbook for ideas, use watercolor paper for the inner pages. That way you can use markers or aqua pencils on the pages and it won't bleed. Cut a piece of acetate to place in-between the pages. I torn apart an old hanging folder to use the hook ends on each end of the acetate so I can place it in the sketch book's spiral rings.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to wiccan333

i am in the same state right now. I have the urge just cant get modivated! I know the feelin! Its awful....then i look at all my stuff and im like "You should be using it duh!" lol

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 10-14-12 11:51 AM
In response to ellybug312

Find a challenge to join and as OP said just get in there and do a lo even if you aren't happy with the results...it should get your engine ticking.
Or organize or reorganize your scrap stuff...sometimes that helps me.

Or if you really aren't motivated yet let it go...keep coming on here and join in the forum on any topic and eventually you will try again.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to GMFTS

Challenges & cleaning my space are my 2 main sources of creative mojo. Challenges 'make me & move me to scrap' & my space 'makes me want to have to'.

- challenges

- blogs

- sb.com gallery

- youtube

- pinterest

- cardmaking

- DIY crafty projects

- magazines

- books

- shopping

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to GMFTS

I haven't did anything the past few eeks because I have so many ideas and some of them are REALLY huge projects and dread getting started. If you have a husband or SO, tell them to pick out a picture for you to scrap and you have 24 hours to get it done. Make it a challenge to do it.

TJCraftyWitch
Governor
TJCraftyWitch
In response to Lunareclipse

The ladies have all came up with excellent options for it. But also look at other types of crafts. Sometimes if you at other crafts it will give you ideas for scrapping. I love getting ideas from jewelry and beading books and use them on my cards and layouts. Quilting and crocheting can give you ideas. Candlemaking, painting and woodwork and woodburning ideas, mosiac glass making..those can all give you ideas for your inspiration.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to TJCraftyWitch

Try reorganizing your stuff. Put patterned papers, embellis and coordinating color stuff together. It might spark some creativity by going through yuor stash.

Then pull out the pictures you want to scrap and put them with the themes

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Just G

I agree with reorganizing. For me it's always fun to look through everything. Try to remember why you scrap and most of all don't feel guilty because you aren't making pages. This might be the season for you to look at magazines or surf for ideas -- or maybe do nothing. Wait till you are ready.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 10-14-12 04:51 PM
In response to wilbur

I've had that lack of motivation for a couple of years!!! Sad, I know.

You probably won't want to do what I did to get motivated again though. I repainted my room and now I want to spend all day in there!!

Something will spark your motivation.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to KimKV

Totally agree with the other suggestions here...

I get motivated by
shopping for new stuff,
reading my scrapbooking mag.(even copy/scraplift one of the layouts in there...)
organizing my existing stash (I often find items that I had forgotten all about and get motivated to do something with them...)

Good Luck!
Alison

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to kiyawinn

I go through my Favourites here in the Gallery, copy 6 of them into a Word document, and print it off. I pin it up at my desk, then choose photos and start scrap-lifting. More often than not, my page doesn't turn out anything like the original, but it's a good starting point.

Good luck and here's to a flood of mojo!

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to RedSquirrel

I am guessing all of the above. Before I start with a new album, I take my binder with all the favorite pages I have printed and look through them to get motivation. Then I start sorting out my pictures and decide which picture will be in a page together. Then I start adding paper I want to use, memorabilia, embellishments. Starting a new album for me is always the hardest part.

Once you get started I learned one thing from this forum: always stop while you have a project on the table. This way when you have the time to scrap, you do not have to start with looking for ideas, but you can continue working, which helps me getting ideas for the next pages.

I have had a period I was working on something and I got completely stuck. After a couple of months, I put that project aside and started with another one. That did help.

Most important: scrapping is a hobby and if you don't feel like it right now, regardless of all the paper, pictures and other stuff you have, don't do it. If you have scrapped before and you do like it, it will come back.

Good luck!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

Hobbies should never be something we have to continually force ourselves to do. It’s OK to outgrow a hobby. Rather than feel guilty about owning all of this stuff and not using it, it might be time to start thinking about reducing your supplies. One of two things will happen…You reduce your inventory to a manageable amount & no longer feel guilty Or you get inspired to use your materials again. Either way it’s a win win.

We all go through phases in life and interests come & go. It is OK to set Scrapbooking aside for now, for a while, or even forever. Keep your best materials and donate the rest.

PS You are not giving up your photos or enjoying your memories, you are just moving to a more simple way to do it.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-15-12 10:37 AM
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I went through something very similar. I had scrapbooked for YEARS but then life got in the way and before I knew it, 6 years had gone by without any scrapbooking. I knew I wanted to get started but I was overwhelmed with the amount of photos I had and couldn't remember the supplies I had.

I went through my embellies - going through my paper would have taken too long, but a lot of my embellies I had purchased with a specific event in mind. I told myself that I would scrap a page for the first embellies I came across for a specific event. I found a few that I had bought for a white water rafting trip I had taken. I decided to go ahead and try to do just one page. I printed my pictures and started looking through my papers to find things that worked with the photos and the embellies. Before I knew it, I had 4 pages done and through the process, I got to know my stash again and as I was looking for one thing, another item would catch my eye. But I didn't allow myself to get sidetracked. Instead I set it aside and put a post-it note on it with the name of the event I wanted to use that thing for, and then I went back to searching for green paper, or whatever.

The thing that worked for me is to just focus on the embellies and not search through my endless supply of photos.

Also, I made sure not to scrap something that was extremely important. I always need to do a less important layout in order to get back into the swing of things. Starting with a huge project or a highly important photo would put too much pressure on me, but this way I was just having fun and didn't really care if the page was perfect.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to Vae

Jarvae, I think that's good advice!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics