Username Post: Ever tried to create photos from a video?        (Topic#1581789)
MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

Good Morning!

I've been sitting on this question for a day, now. Per the request of DS, I made a video of him goofing with his toys -- with my phone. Some of it turned out so clearly (not grainy or blurry) that I have a dream of converting those parts to still photos. Has anyone ever done this? If so, are you willing to give me pointers.... with enough detail that you'd think I was a pure simpleton.... because I am?

And I'll apologize in advance for posting and running. It's also the big field trip day for his class. I've got to get moving.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to MommaSaid

Yes, I had only a home movie as a record of our last house. I got it onto the computer and used one of the inbuilt Windows software packages to capture stills from it. It worked quite well. The software might have been called Movie-maker.

That was 9 or so years ago. I'm sure there are even better packages nowadays.

If you have an iPhone/Mac then I know you can do this easily. I don't know how though!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to MommaSaid

I have done this from fairly low-quality hand-cam video - getting ready for work right now, I will try to post more details on one of my breaks.

It's how I did the photos for the layout below - I could never have reliably caught photos of these bunny antics because they happen so fast.

Rabbit Defined By Aquabunny

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to MommaSaid

it's all in the resolution and in the software you use and in the quality of the vid)
most videos , especially taken with cell phones, won't give you enough resolution to print a decent 4*6, even if you capture the frame that's sharp enough. it will work better if you print them in 2*3 or smaller.
second, you need to pick the software which you will use to capture the stills. you can do with free windows app (windows live movie maker, I think). it's free but it it's not installed with the system, you can download it separately. I prefer vlc player - it has more features.
Then, you play your movie in the player , pause on the frame you like, and take a snapshot. easy peasy. the trick is, if your player can do it, slow down the vid (playback at half speed), then it's easier to pause exactly where you want. it takes a few tries playing back and forth to capture a good one. good luck!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to OlesyaK.

Yeah, you can see above that I had to print my photos quite small to keep them from being grainy. In my case I used software that came with my Flip camera to capture the stills. Then I printed them as a collage (similar to what people do in Picasa, except in this case I did it by hand in Windows Paint) and cut them apart.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to aquabunny

Yes! I just did this a few weeks ago. We took video with our iPhones, and all I did was open it on my computer using QuickTime. I paused where I wanted (you can use arrows to go forward and back), then Ctrl+C to copy ... open Adobe PSE and Ctrl+V to paste. Edit if necessary, and save as jpeg file.

My shots came out much clearer than the photos we took at the same time, and I could've printed them all at 4x6 if I'd wanted to.

Here is a layout I used them on.
http://tanyaham.blogspot.com/2012/10/full-auto-sun day.h...

Hope that helps!

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to tanyaham

Awe! Some! Thank you, everyone! Thank you SO MUCH! I look forward to giving this a try in the days ahead.

Thank you!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to MommaSaid

There are apps you can purchase that make it really easy.....
"Video 2 Photo" $1.99
"VideoPix"
"MovieTolmage" $1.00

You can capture an image with any of the above apps on your phone and the pic will be saved in your photos to be uploaded to your computer and edited.....

Alison

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics