Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How do you scrapbook?        (Topic#1582025)
thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8

I scrapbook chronologically and I make a yearly album every year that starts with January and ends with December. Sometimes I have smaller albums of events like a Disney world trip or an extracurricular activity but even those albums are scrapped in a chronological manner. How do you scrapbook?

CarrieTS
Tenant
CarrieTS
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I like to call my scrapping style...wishy washy..LOL I just scrap the pictures I like and then after I get a few together I put them in an album. I might do occasions such as family trips, Christmas, and birthdays in a book together and scrap those pictures together but other than that I just scrap as I go.

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to CarrieTS

When I used to scrapbook, my layouts would be all over the place depending on what I was inspired by at the time. However the pages in my books are all stored chronologically...

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to traceyjean

I would say, I scrapbook by subject. For example, I have a Gardening book, Motorcycle Book, Dog Book, Ancestry Book. I just do it as it comes to me. The last 50 or so LO's I completed were for someone else, so there is no telling which direction I will go next.

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to CrimsonMama

The only thing I scrap are travel albums. There is absolutely no logical order I am scrapping in. Japan 2008 still needs to be finished. I just finished Asia 2010 and Lisbon 2009. Now I am working on Russia 2009. It depends if I want to take on a huge project, a big project or a small one. Normally after a huge project (Asia which was a 3 week journey), I want to get something done quickly and decided to do Lisbon (3 days).

I still have pictures printed from a couple of trips and then I will look at new ones, that I still need to print. But I promised myself to work through my stack first, before adding anything new.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail

I scrapbook by subject not chronilogical too complicated at times to keep up with all the dates digitally!!!!!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to mindygail

I do whatever appeals to me at the time, but in the albums everything is placed chronologically. Trips and special events get separate albums, but also usually get a page or two in my regular albums. When I get into a larger project, like a gift album or an album for an individual trip, I work pretty much exclusively on that project for a few weeks, but I don't make the pages in the order they'll eventually be. I do, however, plan single-subject albums pretty obsessively as regards single- and double-page layouts and what order things will eventually go in.

I don't have kids, so I don't have a constant stream of new things to scrap; I scrap events and outings and vacations and recipes, and I used to scrap my pet, and I'm generally able to keep up with those as they happen. My goal every year is to be done scrapping everything that happened in the calendar year by the end of New Year's Eve. (The last layout I do every year, and in the years I've had this goal I've always done this layout in the afternoon of December 31, is the summary page that will appear at the beginning of that year's album or section of an album.)

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

In no particular order, on no particular day...

- by subject or theme or whatever inspires me

- by person (which is how I have my pics divided)

- by place (which is how I have my albums organized)

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to KellyCali

I'm inspired by paper, sketches, and new techniques and am then left scrambling to find a picture to use.

Chronological scrapping would overwhelm me and make the hobby not-so-fun.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to traceyjean

• traceyjean Said:
my layouts would be all over the place depending on what I was inspired by at the time. However the pages in my books are all stored chronologically...

This. I scrap whatever I feel like at the time. When I get around to organizing my completed pages, they will be in chronological order.

I used to scrap chronologically but found it difficult to be creative when I wasn't in the mood for certain pictures but felt I had to get them done to move on to the ones I really wanted to do.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to kelseymel

I scrap the pics I like then put them in the album until I fill it up then move on to the next album.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Mia1979

What ever inspires unless I am working on a mini for a certain event

snoflake517
Veteran
snoflake517
In response to Sneezy1956

I used to think I HAD to MAKE the pages in chronological order because I stored them that way. It was so frustrating and uninspiring to me because sometimes I just didn't feel like doing some particular pictures on a particular day so I wouldn't scrap. Thankfully I realized that I can do what ever I want whenever I want. So now I scrap in a fairly random order with blank pages for the ones I haven't done yet, and store chronologically. Its interesting becuase now I get pictures on paper and into albums so much faster.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to snoflake517

Oh goodness! I am OCD on chronological, each year has it's own album. Special or mini albums are done for a trip or special thing. I'm not done by December 31st like Aquabunny, but not long after.

It would drive me absolutely INSANE to not have layouts done and in albums. It was making me crazy that I'd been back from a trip for a month and wasn't done, I can't imagine having photos from a trip 4 years ago to do.

I guess that's what is so amazing about this hobby. There's no wrong way to do it!! To each their own, and everyone's "way" is accepted! It's really interesting to me hearing how everyone does it, though!

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 10-24-12 12:12 PM
In response to tanyaham

So interesting to read all the different ways we scrap. I'm pretty much whatever grabs when I look through pictures. Though I am planning on making a change in how and what and when I print.

Just came back to scrapping and instead of looking at the overwhelming amount of stuff I have printed, I printed my son's prom and graduation pictures (2010!)and his 18th birthday pics. And that's my plan from here on out as far as current pictures go.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to KimKV

I scrap whatever photos I want to, whenever. They are filed chronologically in albums by the year. When I finally get round to doing my special vacation photos, I think those will be separate, but I haven't had the courage to do that yet.

The only album I have separately is the album for the "official" school and professional photos given to us of our niece and nephew.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to RedSquirrel

I started doing a seperate Christmas album a few years ago-I think I have 4

I have one on each of my boys

The rest are themed (vacation, summer, etc)

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to DittoBabyGirl

My scrapbook looks about like my junk drawer. Everything is just thrown in wherever it will fit in any order I felt like putting them in there. It sure makes it rather amusing to look at. I don't scrap chronologically because I like to make some pages with a pics of my little person and pics of me or my husband when we were the same age. It's amazing when you put them side by side how much alike we look when we were little. I also like to put pics of how things looked when I was little as opposed to how they look today. Past and present are normally mixed together on the same page.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Lunareclipse

I'm mostly like Tanya - Chronological and it really bothers me if I don't keep up pretty well. I get behind sometimes but that is because I scrap so many trips.

I started Book one in 2007 and it is about 95 pages. Then I started scrapbook 2 and now, 6 years later I'm on book 24. Each is 85-95 pages. That is approximately 2,400 pages in 6 years!

There are a few family and granddaughter pages but almost all of it are travel layouts. I don't know how many times we have been around the world but its been several times and we go to Hawaii twice a year for about a month each time so like Els, I do a lot of travel layouts.

I try to arrange it where a new trip starts with a new book but sometimes a major trip starts in the middle of a book and I just put a title page in the middle of the book or wherever the next trip starts and they are all in order.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Lunareclipse

I have absolutely no order, shape or reason to how I scrap. I just look for a photo that inspires me and I get to it. Then I stick it in an album and I move on.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics