Username Post: MS WORD question        (Topic#1582143)
meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought I'd start here.

I want to do a Word document that I can adhere a piece of cardstock to with painter's tape and run it through the printer. The question I have is this - if I want to print "Merry Christmas" and slightly overlap the Christmas on top of the Merry, how do I do that? I've tried text boxes and they seem to cancel each other out so that there's no overlap - it's either just Merry or Christmas. There's got to be a way to do this in Word, I'm just not clever enough to figure it out.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to meezerpleaser

Yes you can run cardstock & pattern paper through a printer and add titles and/or journaling.

Only thing to remember is if the printer ink fades in sun light or bleeds when it gets wet it will do the same thing on the cardstock & pattern paper.

PS quick way to do the overlapping text thing (without getting involoved with a graphic program) is print one line first, set up the second line then print it a second time.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 10-29-12 12:41 PM
In response to Gelidy Gelato

You should be able to overlap text boxes in Word. Right-click on the box and (depending on which version of Word you have), select Format or Text Wrapping - you want to set it to "in front of text."

Hope that helps! Feel free to PM me if you're stuck.

Showdog
Expert
Showdog

You can do this by inserting "Word Art" (not a text box) First create Merry in the word art box, then create another word art box that says Christmas. In the "Wrap Text" selection for the "Christmas" box choose "In front of text". That will allow you to move the "Christmas" word wherever you would like to, without losing the "Merry" box.

You can probably do the same thing with a text box, but I find using Word Art simpler for just regular text.

Edited by Showdog on 10-29-12 12:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Showdog

When you make your second (top layer) text box, place it over the first one, then go into text box tools, and go to "fill". Select "no fill". That will make the top text box clear, so all you will see is the font. Then you can drag it wherever you want it to be over the first box, even overlapping the text. Here's one I did...you'll have to make it bigger so you can see the word "serene" over the other word.

Serene Countryside By Dwelch

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to dwelch

This is great info for me! The sb.com community is wonderful!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I just added this thread to my fave topics so I can follow the instructions if I need to do this.

I have a couple of digital pages that will be used in the openning of my genology notebooks (not really scrapbooks). I used all the family names with a lot of neat fonts and turned them in various directions. Didn't try to overlap but this is good to know.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics