Username Post: I'm back...        (Topic#1582145)
CountrynCrafty
Veteran
CountrynCrafty

I'm back...or trying to be. I took a pretty long hiatus after my brothers passing...threw myself into my family and sugar gliders, every so often I would glance at my albums, but it seems/ed that everything reminds me of him. Yesterday I bought a scrapbooking mag (also the first since then) and it reminded me how much I love it.

Anyway, I usually have a page about that year, but with this year being so...How do I spin a good light on the bad things?

-My husband had a tumor in his arm (thankfully it was benign--but we didn't know until the took it out)
-I had to put a pet down
-Our family shop burnt down (also had all of our baby stuff, christmas ornaments, and everything in it)
-My brother passed
-My relationship with my grandparents (who besides my dad had always been my rock) has disintegrated
-I was involved in a wreck in my brand new car

Good:
-My husband has had a couple of promotions/raises
-We moved to a house that ours (instead of family owned)
-I got a new truck after the wreck
-My kids are still happy and healthy

I think the worst part is going to be scrap-booking the holidays at the beginning of next year...any advice on that?

I wanted to come back because besides my lovely but aging aunt, I am the family historian now...my grandmother lost everything she had, and my aunt mostly has pictures, so I feel like I need to cover everything else...plus my kids are growing so fast, seems like they do something new everyday...and I am already forgetting pages that I wanted to do >.< lol

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to CountrynCrafty

Welcome Back! I know everyone's lives all have lots of sorrow and drama, but it's all in how you handle it!! You will make it thru...God doesn't give you more than you can handle!!

As far as scrapping a loved one, I lost a family pet (NOT the same you say? Well, we all considered him our hairy brother!) and when I see pics with him in it, it still makes me cry after a year and a half. So some pages are solely dedicated to him, and talk about what he meant to all of us. Sometimes I worry I have too many "RIP" pages of him in the album, but they are nice. Remember that scrapping is theraputic too!!! That will be helpful to remember as you scrap this past year!!

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to Juansmom

And don't worry about the year being mostly downers... you take what you get in life. Perhaps address first off the downers and then focus up all the ups!! Own the year!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-29-12 06:52 PM
In response to Juansmom

Welcome back. I'm sorry this year has been so rough for you.

If it were me, I would probably scrap some of those things, even if they are bad. Not all years will be like that but for me, scrapbooking is about capturing things as they were, not filtering to show only the good. And I probably would do more hidden journaling and keep those pages simple and brief. But that's just me.

Maybe you could do a 2-page layout with a roller coaster on it and just kind of put tags on the high and low points with what happened- totally simple but still documenting it. Just an idea.

It looks like you've had a lot to celebrate as well and here's to a better year next year!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-29-12 06:54 PM
In response to Vae

As for keeping up with your kids and what you want to scrap, I saw a really cute idea on pinterest the other day: the busy mommy's memory can. Basically a decorated paint can that you can scribble something on a scrap of paper with the date on it and drop it in the can. That way you don't have to worry about forgetting the funny thing that your kid said or did, and you can go back through them later and actually do a page on them.

CountrynCrafty
Veteran
CountrynCrafty
In response to Vae

Thank you to you both for your comments/support and Jarvae those are some great ideas

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics