Username Post: Cricut vs. Silhouette Cameo        (Topic#1582245)
New Kid On the Block

I keep reading quite a bit about the Silhouette Cameo,right now I have the Cricut machine. Which is better, any opinions? Hmmm...

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to cblack1966

Hi and welcome!

I have the original Silhouette because I wanted to be able to create my own shapes rather than being limited to cartridges. But I've seen the Cricut and how easy it seems by comparison. I think a lot depends on how computer-savvy you are. They both cut pretty much as well as each other.

Not many people will have both, so you'll probably get answers saying "I love my Cricut/Silhouette because..."!

If you read down this page and the next, there are actually several threads discussing this very thing.

Expert
In response to RedSquirrel

I have the original silhouette too. I couldn't make "things happen"...and the paper kept slipping on the mat. I bought a cricut and am happy with it, except the price of cartridges is a bit high, since I dont' use all the components. I was thinking about trying a Cameo too..hoping that my computer skills might be a little better now.
I understand that the cameo cuts intricate patterns better than the cricut. Anyone else hear of this?

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to deedee49

I have both and each has pros/cons.

Pros:
The Cameo:
1. Cuts detail with ease
2. Cuts TRUE circles
3. Easy to use
4. Images are cheap
5. Can cut true type fonts on the computer
6. Can cut svg files or YOUR OWN design
7. Can use competitor mats
8. Good customer support

Cricut:

1. Can cut thicker materials
2. Cheaper start up cost
3. Easy to use
4. Can get supplies for it almost anywhere (mats, blades)

Cons:

Cameo:

1. Cannot cut thick materials like chipboard-although some have successfully cut cereal weight
2. Blades and mats are more expensive-but they last a long time
3. It is rare to find mats/blades at a brick and mortar

Cricut:
1. Cartridge based
2. You cannot cut your own files; just manipulate existing files
3. Customer support leaves a lot to be desired
4. Cuts are not the best/consistent
5. Does not cut true type fonts
6. Depending on the machine, it may have complications after updates

This is what I can think of off hand. I should add, this is my experience. I will not say one is better than the other, but if I had to choose one, it would be the Cameo. Also, depending on where you purchase the Cameo, the cost is the same or less than the Cricut

scrappin 2
Governor
scrappin 2
In response to HisGEM

I have both the original Cricut (not the 12 in.)and the original Silhouette SD.

I am not computer savvy. I had a hard time learning the Silhouette. I still don't know how to do a lot of things and I've had it a year. I am not good at fooling around with the machine. However I do like that if I need a certain die cut...let's say a snowman, I can go online and within minutes it is on my computer. It definitely cuts more intricate patterns.

I use the cricut mainly to cut letters. I'm sure I don't use it as well as I could. I have 10 cartridges. I don't have the newer ones that appear to have more layering capabilities.

I'd buy the Silhouette over the Cricut.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to scrappin 2

I, like HisGem have both machines, Kenya gave a great comparison list. I think it all comes down to money. Do you have the money to be buying carts when you need/want certain cuts/design?
If I had to choose one, it would be the Cameo(Silhouette)
That being said, I still love my Cricuts and all the carts, and actually use it more than my Silhouette, for now! I don't think I will ever stop using my Cricut. But the Silhouette just makes more sense money wise.
If I could remember what I paid for each of the carts I bought and added it up, I would probably have a mini heart attack.
Or at least my husband would!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to scrappin 2

Oops, double post.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to ChansGram

Well there ya go, I was wrong - I'm so glad!

crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping
In response to RedSquirrel

There are a lot of cartridges that you can buy for the cricut for less than 15.00 on ebay. Also, with Design Studio on your computer you can design things using basic shapes from the cartridges like George and Plantin Schoolbook. I have created the statue of liberty and the state of Texas. There are lots of free .cut files out there.

However, boy would it be cool to be able to cut True Type fonts. I think i just might like to have both. lol.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to crazyaboutscrapping

Hi I have had my Silhouette Cameo about a month now. I love it and I can make my own shapes and sizes them how I want. I don't really have to buy a lot of punches. The tricky part for me at least is trying to figure out the right size. If I use some scrap paper to cut with the machine. But I'll get the hang of it.

Justie

http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics