Username Post: Scrapbooking for Kids        (Topic#1582419)
thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8

My 4 year old told me today that I should teach kids how to scrapbook. Now she has me thinking that she might be on to something? I would love to hear what your thoughts are on this?

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I did a scrapbooking class this summer. It was open to kids and first time scrapbookers. I will say that what my kids were able to do was very different than what other kids of the same age were able to do. So make sure you take that into account. Plus, keep in mind, if you use inks, or stamps, you have to give them a lot of instruction and be prepared to watch over them or you will have a black image stamped in your light pink ink pad!
With that said, it is not all bad, and kids LOVE it!! My seven year old was able to do all of our activities but I recommended ages 9 and up.
I have take my big shot into my kids' classes at school and worked on craft activities with the kids. They LOVE the big shot. And as long as I am helping them, they can't destory it!! Keeping it simple is the key for most. But I gave the kids options of what they could do too. How to add to the pages. We used sketches in my class to create our scrapbooking pages.
one recommendation.....stay away from glitter!!!! kids love glitter and they use a TON of it!!!!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to binkiemonstermom

LOL yes glitter is the enemy when it comes to kids. I no longer have glitter in my house because my daughter goes crazy with it. We now only have glitter glue in the house

samaclean
Tenant
samaclean

My daughters are now 18, 15 and 7. We all started scrapbooking 4 years ago. We all enjoy it, and complete pages at differing levels of ability. My teens have looked back at pages they did when they first started and occasionally want to redo them. I print more pictures and they do another page while leaving the original intact. I want them to be able to see how they have grown since they were perfectly proud of the earlier versions. I think a class with kids scrappers in mind would be great. Them telling a story from their point of view is a good vantage point. There are also many opportunities to reinforce academic skills (measuring) as well as foster an artistic component.

Go for it.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to samaclean

There was a class offered for kids this past summer....I think it was on Big Picture Classes? It was with the Smash books but I think they recommended ages 8 and up, or 9 and up?? Something like that......

I don't think my 6 yr. old could accomplish much without a lot of help!

Alison :9;

scrapbookmonster
Pro
scrapbookmonster
In response to kiyawinn

Let your 6yr old scrapbook at home. There is no right or wrong to scrapbooking.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to scrapbookmonster

My 6 yr. old does do a lot of crafts at home and occasionally plays with my stamps, paints etc.
He has no real interest in scrapbooking...
I realize that there is no right or wrong....I was merely responding to the OP....

Alison

rebeccakeppel
Idol
rebeccakeppel

My LSS offers a Mom and Me scrapbook class for littles -very basic projects that the parent usually ends up helping with. and they also offer a kids class for 7+ I did the Mom and Me with my kids and even though it was stuff I could've done at home, they loved it. She had a break time where they read a book and had a treat. And they got to come home with a completed project. We havent tried the 7+ class yet.

Diva
In response to rebeccakeppel

You are brave!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to bayamonesa1

I am still debating this idea but I think I just might be able to find a way to make it work. I have done a scrapbook by number with my 4 year old and she really enjoyed doing that.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312

My six year old does a lot of crafting. He recently completed a scrapbook independently. It's different than the scrapbooking I do, but that's part of the fun. It is very much him and he's incredibly proud of it. Take a look if you are interested:

http://www.cindyderosier.com/2012/11/trevors-scrap book....

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to cindy312

My DD loves to scrapbook and sometimes if I am at the not so LSS we will do the make and take if there is one. The lady was quite surprised at her skill level, till I mentioned that she has been playing with my stuff since she was 2.5. Her style is definetly more altered artish but she does have her own style. She even has her own stash.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics