Username Post: Has anyone taken a class with ...        (Topic#1582427)
madmatter
Diva
madmatter

Donna Downey?

She is going to be teaching a series of classes/workshops at my LSS and I am trying to decide if they are worth the money.

Here are the descriptions:

Vintage Chic Workshop, 4 hours:$75
"Create a 6" x 9" cardboard mini album. This album is the perfect blend of shabby & chic with each cardboard page has been delicately edged in distressed inka-inka gold and dressed in a frayed swatch of soft muslin. The album is layered in burlaps; canvas; silk flowers; frames; a timepiece and my favorite part ... a pair of soft feathery angels wings. The tone on tone color palette gives this book a truly romantic feel."

The Big 4-0, 5 hour workshop: $65
"6 x 8" art journal - Building Mixed-Media backgrounds ... WARNING: THIS WORKSHOP MAY LEAD TO INSOMNIA CAUSED BY IDEA OVERLOAD. Since I am now 40, I thought what better way to celebrate this new decade than by sharing my favorite top 40 tips, tricks and techniques for building better art journals and mixed-media backgrounds. Like all great things, building a strong foundation or base for your ideas is important and mixed-media and art journaling are no different. This workshop is going to put all these ideas at your fingertips as you create your own personal reference book for mixed media backgrounds and techniques and fill the pages of your NEW art journal. Each student will receive and work in one of my newly released art journals. The journal's heavyweight pages are perfect for layering; paints; inks; collages; PanPastels; paper, etc. I plan to do all that and more in this workshop! We will build over 40 techniques and pages worth of ideas using several different wet and dry mediums filling one incredible idea book that will surely get your mind spinning with ideas!"

Poppy Collage Workshop, 3 hours: $55
"A 6" x 18" mixed-media canvas designed to guide you through the multi-layered building of creating an original mixed-media canvas measuring 6" x 18" using mixed media tags; modeling paste; gesso; decorative tapes; fabric and paper elements. Each layer will lead you closer to creating a textural and beautiful piece of artwork celebrating strength and beauty. By keeping our color palette simple, using lots of dimensional elements and several simple techniques for applying texture you will tap into that inner artist and watch your blank canvas transform into an amazing collage."

Inspiration Journal Workshop, 5 hours: $75
"If you have taken your first steps into art journaling / creating a visual diary and/or are looking to take your pages to the next level, this is the workshop for you! Learn more about building layers using mediums; stencils; india inks; acrylic paints; watercolors; papers; tapes and more. Art is about pushing the boundaries and making a statement. This workshop is designed to empower you to listen to your creative instincts and will teach how to layer color, texture and channel your artistic personality into your journal pages. You will also learn tips and techniques about freehand drawing, adding details, as well as composition and balance.

Thoughts? Advice? Opinions? Personal experiences? I'm intrigued by all of them, but specifically the first two ... I just don't want to spend the money if she turns out not to be such a great teacher ... thanks in advance

Expert
In response to madmatter

I have never taken a class with her personally. I have watched a couple of youtube videos about her. I would personally take the class. Maybe go with one of the first two. They sound like they will give you ideas about other projects as well!
Post pics of what you made if you do take them!

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to scrappy_day

Oh my goodness absolutely yes! Donna is fantastic! She is spunky and fun and a really great teacher! She is sooo full of ideas and techniques and creativity and it all comes pouring out of her when she teaches! She is also friendly and personable and spends a lot of her classes telling stories and listening to stories from the people in the class. (But, our class sizes were pretty small. It may be different in a classroom of more.) But I would definitely recommend her and any of her classes. You will learn so much about new products and new techniques and it is amazing! It does seem like a big dollar amount, but when you divide it out by how many hours you are spending with her it's not too bad. Plus, I assume you get some sort of class kit, or supplies or something with it. I say...Go for it!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 11-06-12 09:37 AM
In response to Babylou

OH - don't think about it anymore - sign up now!
I would love to go to any of those but especially the 2nd and 4th.

When are the classes?

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to GMFTS

Have never taken one of her classes but she is certainly famous in the scrapbooking world!
I have heard only good things and I would do a class in a second if she ever came to my area.....

Alison

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to kiyawinn

She came here and the classes were very popular.

They did not interest me but I have no intention of putting a canvas thing on my wall and there was far too much dimension for my liking. But that is what people love about her

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to corrie fan

thank you SOOOO mcuh for your responses ... the classes are December 14/15/16 ... if anyone lives in the NY tristate area, feel free to pm me and I'll give you the links

right now the number of people signed up for the 1st and 4th one is around 15 with around 30 each signed up for the 2nd and 3rd (those will be maxed out soon)

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to madmatter

I would she has amazing techniques and even if you don't like what she does the inspiration she creates carries on and on.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics