Username Post: What stories do you tell?        (Topic#1582463)
kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Even if you don't journal a lot, you are telling stories with you pictures....
For those of you that journal, those of you that do not.....what stories do you tell? What things get you excited about doing a LO? What are your favourite pages you've done and why?
Please tell!

Alison

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing
In response to kiyawinn

I like to share "inside jokes/stories" because those are the ones I won't remember 20 years from now. As much as I make my books with future generations in mind, I also want to enjoy being reminded years from now!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 11-07-12 08:31 AM
In response to ktmracing

My favorite ones to tell are the 'cute' stories from my kids and grandkids.

I too like to use humor although I am not afraid to express the tough stuff either.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to GMFTS

I try and always journal on my scrapbook pages. The journaling is what makes it IMO. Sometimes I journal about what is happening in the photos sometimes I journal about the person, or their personality or something that brought a smile to my face!

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to binkiemonstermom

For me...its the random everyday stuff that I love to scrap the most. Sometimes I journal...sometimes its the title that tells the story

I love scrapping

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 11-07-12 10:32 AM
In response to DittoBabyGirl

This is my favorite LO because of the story behind it. One of the funniest things that I caught on my iphone.

Catch of the Day

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Lunie

Great page Lunie!
I just love to tell stories with my pages....I think those are the ones that we will cherish years from now!

Alison

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to kiyawinn

I like to journal the stuff that I would be telling someone who was looking at the page, but instead of hanging over each person and repeating the same story, they can read it for themselves. Some pages tell their own story, but if there is a story behind the LO, I want it written down. It's too easy to forget the stories that seem so vivid at the time they're happening. My mom remembers stories about my kids better than I do—I was busy being "mom" and she was the grandma, treasuring—and remembering—each story, but eventually both she and I will be gone and it would be nice for the stories to live on.

Also, like Henri, I add lots of history and background info. to travel LOs. I do it mostly for me, but it's amazing how often people will read through it all and say, "Wow, how interesting". I figure if people want to just look at the pics, that's fine, but it seems like often when someone looks at a travel picture they begin asking questions, like I'm supposed to be smart. This way, I am! (Have them fooled... ) ~Judy

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to kiyawinn

Also, in the back of each album (if I ever complete one), I'm planning to put a final page that lists everyone that is in the album. I work on this page as I do my LOs so I don't miss anyone. The way I'm setting it up, subject to change, is a small picture of the person as they are in the album, full name, address(es) for where they lived in the album, dob & place, death (obviously, if applicable), relationship to me or whoever the album is for. This way I don't have to explain who people are, ages, etc. all the time and the info. is there for genealogical sources, if anyone ever wants it. I just keep it set up on a spreadsheet that will be easy to print out and put at the end. Also this way private info. isn't on the LOs, so if I put them online, I don't have to worry about blurring it.

Side note: In the front, on the inside of the front cover, I like to use little frames and write in my name and who the book is for, if it's a gift. Also, date of completion, if it's a gift and actually ever gets completed :>)~Judy

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Lunie

Great LO...and what a fun experience :>) Isn't it great that most people almost always have a camera available anymore? There are so many things that I wish I had pictures of. ~Judy

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Lunie

• Lunie2nz Said:
This is my favorite LO because of the story behind it. One of the funniest things that I caught on my iphone.

Catch of the Day

Just checked out your page...that IS a great story!!!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Doreena

Great thread - thanks for starting it!

I almost always journal - especially on travel pages. I agree with everything Judy said!

Since I have about 24 or 25 scrapbooks with an average of 90 pages each I keep an 8 1/2 x 11 notebook binder with an alphabetical list by last name.

Friends and family can find their name and it lists every scrapbook they are in along with the event or location.

Even my kids can look their name and every layout they are in.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Henri Jean

Thank you Henri!

Wow, that is very organized Henri....I'm a really organized person (list maker, everything labelled etc..) and that is too much work even for me!
I'm impressed!

My favourite stories are personality quirks and funny things my son does/says....
Alison

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to kiyawinn

As has already been stated, I journal the things I would tell someone about the pictures if they were looking over my shoulder ... sometimes it's just a who/what/where/when, and sometimes more about the story behind the pictures

I have a love/hate relationship with journaling ... I hate doing it, but I love having the story on the page

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to madmatter

Alison (or anyone else) I made a word template for my directory and will share with anyone who wants it.

Took time to put the template together but now when I complete a book I go through the whole book at once and add the people to the directory - takes a few minutes to do an entire scrapbook. If you want it please pmfji your email address - the doc will not stay formatted to send in a pm.

Diva
In response to Henri Jean

Funny stories of my kids and grandkids. Now that I am batteling Colon Cancer, I want to journal my experience for future generations.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to bayamonesa1

For my yearly albums the cover page is a recap of the year but I just started doing this for the last 3 years now. The majority of my pages have journaling on them. Some pages are about my hopes and dreams for my kids, others are about their favorite things to do and our daily life and other things are about whatever the picture is of. What we were doing for the holiday and stuff like that.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics