Username Post: yet another gift book for work        (Topic#1582741)
Expert

So here I am making another retirement book..I gotta get to a job that has all young people in it. ha ha.
So..the colors are soft grey, blue, and green and white.
I cant stick to these colors. I've been told I need to stick to a theme of colors. That doesn't alway work! What to do?
For example..I was working on a Christmas page, where the predominant color was red..(red sweaters, just a lot of red)...I tried to do a Christmassy silver and gold thing...but it just looked blah. Needs a little black aor red for an accent. Unfortunately, I've been told that it ends up being a " mish mash. Ive done 3 of these book before. I really dont know what to do..I know what looks good..I just can't adhere to a common color palette. Any ideas for me?
I put so much into these books..It kind of gets my goat that I put in all this home time..and effort...and I get criticized? Last book I did, the recipient said I outdid myself.
Now I am getting all kinds of opinions. I feel like just telling those people- well do it yourself, see how easy it is to make bad pics look good.
Ok..I am done venting...what should I do?

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to deedee49

Just don't do them anymore. Tell "whoever" that you don't have the time and patience to put up with them.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to NMlady

i agree, don't do them anymore. i think that when we create, we are artists, and if they can't appreciate your ART, then why should you bless them with it. (not the one that was appreciative, but the ones that are criticizing you)

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to flutterbye0419

I agree with the others about not doing them but if this is not an option, then I would suggest that you tell the critics that unless they are helping to put together the book, they have absolutely no say whatsoever in what is done with the book. You should not have to put up with people being picky about what they want when the book is not even for them.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Shutterbugg

Wow, unfortunately there are a lot of unappreciative people in the world. Make it your last book and tell them you are 'retiring' from the retirement business. If it's something you really enjoy and want to do, then tell them you are going to do it your way; they are squashing your creativity.

I did a small book once for a boss who was retiring. I brought my camera took pictures of employees, made the book and then brought it in so they could write a few words to the retiree in the book by their picture. It was simple, but time consuming.

It's just kinda sad to see that you are putting forth a lot of effort and people just want more, more and more.....

Diva
In response to t-scraps

I have been lucky at work. Most people like my cards and books. They even fight for the Christmas scrapbook that I make every year for the exchange gift game.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to bayamonesa1

It doesn’t have to be an “all or nothing” decision. You can make a simpler book. The difficult part is taking a step backwards and not getting so “invested” in the book.

You don’t have to put your heart & soul, time, and expensive supplies into every page.

Try making a “photo album” (matted photos on 12 x 12 paper ) and then make one or two “special pages” using all of your scrapbooking bells & whistles.

Don’t give up making scrapbook albums for friends, coworkers, etc. just scale back your efforts.

Jessica G-B
Expert
Jessica G-B
In response to Gelidy Gelato

If you and the recipient are happy with the book, then that's all you need to worry about. Without knowing the situation, it seem as though others are just expecting you to do this? If someone criticizes, I would genuinely and sweetly reply, "Wow! I see you have some great ideas! I love doing this for people, but sometimes it can be very overwhelming with other projects I currently have underway, and I'd love to have help with this endeavor. How about you take the lead on the next book?"

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Jessica G-B

• Jessica G-B Said:
If you and the recipient are happy with the book, then that's all you need to worry about. Without knowing the situation, it seem as though others are just expecting you to do this? If someone criticizes, I would genuinely and sweetly reply, "Wow! I see you have some great ideas! I love doing this for people, but sometimes it can be very overwhelming with other projects I currently have underway, and I'd love to have help with this endeavor. How about you take the lead on the next book?"

this!

this is not an issue of the recipient being unhappy or demanding a certain color palette ... it's the co-workers ... tell them to shove it (nicely of course) ... YOU make the book, YOU pick the colors

if they want to pick the colors, let them make the book

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics