Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Books of Uncomfortable Topics        (Topic#1582767)
samaclean
Tenant
samaclean

Have you, would you, scrapbook something that you would never intend to share with anyone, or at least not a lerge audience, on a topic that is uncomfortable for many people? Theraputically?

For example, a death. Not of the life that preceeded it? Am I being too vague?

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to samaclean

actually, i think it's healthy to document these things, i don't know that i would do it in scrapbook form though. i did my mother's death in a journal. then i sent her out to sea. she loved the ocean, so that was VERY therapeudic for me.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to flutterbye0419

I have a few topics in mind that I've been thinking about, but haven't gotten around to them yet. I mostly scrap for my own satisfaction anyway, very few people ever actually see my pages.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to samaclean

The great thing about scrapbooking is...there really are no rules. You can scrapbook any subject and in any form you like. If it's something you don't want to share, then you don't have to share it.

But if it's something you would like to include in your regular scrapbook album, but don’t want people to see (photos and/or journaling), there are several ways you can hide it but still include it on the page. Couple examples come to mind…graphic photos, private journaling, and so on.

Rather that have to hide certain pages or entire album (what do you do with a couple loose pages?) maybe you could just hide the really personal stuff on the pages but still include it in your album.

But to answer your question, people do scrapbook subjects that would make the rest of us cringe.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Tina scraps

I think for those types of topics a Smashbook would be good.
I haven't created a book w/ an "uncomfortable" subject, but seeing as I treat my Smashbook almost like a journal at times, I could see using one to document things I don't want anyone else to read.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Doreena on 11-19-12 03:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I have a couple comments. I scrapped a page about my precious grandson's attempted suicide. It was a way of coping for me, of expressing feelings that would have eaten me up if I had bottled them inside. I did it in such a way that I still included it in my album.
Heartache By Dwelch
Not long afterward, I scrapped a page for my little grand daughter who was full-term stillborn. I included her little obituary, and the only photo of her - in the layout, I covered the photo with vellum. It's still there, still very faintly visible, but still pretty much hidden from view unless you raise the vellum.
I don't know if it's right or wrong, and I don't care - those pages were for me. They were, I believe, tastefully done, and if someone doesn't want to see them, they can flip the page.
Follow your heart.

papermouse
Veteran
papermouse
In response to dwelch

I too scrapbook for theraputic reasons...a few months ago I scrapped a friend's suicide. It really helped me deal with the reality of the situation to pick a beautiful picture and write about her and how/why she died. I keep pages like that in a separate album that I don't really make available to guests for obvious reasons...

I scrap hard situations because it helps me gather my thoughts about what's going on. If it helps you, then do it!! If it makes you uncomfortable to share it in any way, there's no rule that says you have to

PS Dwelch- your page is a beautiful tribute. Thanks for sharing

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to papermouse

• Quote:
Not long afterward, I scrapped a page for my little grand daughter who was full-term stillborn. I included her little obituary, and the only photo of her - in the layout, I covered the photo with vellum. It's still there, still very faintly visible, but still pretty much hidden from view unless you raise the vellum.
I don't know if it's right or wrong, and I don't care - those pages were for me. They were, I believe, tastefully done, and if someone doesn't want to see them, they can flip the page.
Follow your heart.

I am sure it was healing for you, what a nice sentiment. I agree, if someone doesn't want to see, it they can flip the page.

Veteran
In response to binkiemonstermom

I have a LO of an uncomfortable situation. My son, many years ago, dated a girl that became pregnant. The girl said the baby was my son's. I spent a lot of time caring for that little girl the first couple of month's of her life. My son was not the father. I scrapbooked a photo of the baby. It's not a LO i share with others.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to brightbeginnings

Scrapping delicate, touchy, private, etc., subjects can be very therapeutic. Plus it actually costs a lot less than therapy sessions! Well.....unless you go crazy at the LSS, but I see nothing wrong with that

Diva
In response to Luvmyfam

I am going to work on one about my separation of my husband after finding out he was cheating on me and one about cancer. I feel I need to let everything out of my system. Also one about the sturggles as a young girl about my faith. I want to leave them for my daughter so thety can see my other side and hopefully learn about faith, true love and motivation.

Edited by bayamonesa1 on 11-20-12 06:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to bayamonesa1

I don't scrap about my own uncomfortable topics if I don't want anyone to see them - not because they wouldn't be in a separate album that I wouldn't show - but because I wouldn't want anyone to see them after my death. And an accident can happen to anyone so I might not be able to plan to destroy those pages. Some topics are just too personal to me. Just my .02.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to meezerpleaser

Whatever works for you. Whatever provides you comfort. I think way back when, people usually just scrapped the 'happy moments' but we all know that's not realistic. Do what makes you feel better and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

samaclean
Tenant
samaclean
In response to t-scraps

"meezerpleaser" - Had not thought about what would happen to it upon my demise. Thanks for the food for thought.
"luvmyfam" - some of the things I want to scrap came from visiting an art therapist for a while. I think I can continue my therapy without her (and her bills).
Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the insight.

Edited by samaclean on 11-20-12 07:13 AM. Reason for edit: typo correction

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to samaclean

I don't scrap about sad or uncomfortable subjects. I like to go back through my scrapbooks and smile about what I see there.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Crafting Marfa

Like meezerpleaser, the main thing I'd worry about is what others will see after I die. (Which is why I quit keeping a paper record of my weight ). Some things might be good for others, especially children, to know so they'd know the roots of their own health/actions/attitudes, etc., but I'd be really careful about writing anything that could be hurtful. For that, I'd write it to get it out of my system, then destroy it. I wouldn't want to leave something behind that would only cause hurt to others.

When my aunt died suddenly, my mom was very careful to not read any personal notes...she just got rid of that type of stuff, but I think most people would read it all and possibly end out needing their own therapy. Mom felt her sister's secrets should die with her sister. Maybe you know others will respect your privacy after you're gone~

Lots of points to ponder and of course, in the end, it's all your decision~Judy

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to mrsdriver5

I just went back and re-read the OP. Scrapping a death, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'll probably eventually scrap/journal about when my dad died, but it will just be a part of his total life story. Again, I don't see anything wrong with unusual topics, but I sure don't want to leave anything behind that will just cause hurt or problems.~Judy

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb

Judy, I like the that your mom thru out her sisters notes and stuff. I've seen too many times, people will read something they found in the house, and then they are left with that thought from them on, not getting the whole story or other side of the story. Just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I think your mom had the perfect answer!!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

I look at it this way - as I stand today, I am a creation of not only the good things that have come my way, but the bad as well. All of those things have shaped me into the person I am today. The best thing about scrapping is that the choice is entirely personal. There is no right or wrong. As I said earlier, follow your heart. This, by the way, has been a great topic. Thanks for allowing us to share our personal thoughts.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
I look at it this way - as I stand today, I am a creation of not only the good things that have come my way, but the bad as well. All of those things have shaped me into the person I am today. The best thing about scrapping is that the choice is entirely personal. There is no right or wrong. As I said earlier, follow your heart. This, by the way, has been a great topic. Thanks for allowing us to share our personal thoughts.

Well said!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics