Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Rant of the Day        (Topic#1582787)
New Kid On the Block

So this is my rant of the day (although this happened yesterday). I went to Michael's over my lunch hour armed with my 40% off coupon. That is really the only reason I've been going to my local box stores - just to use my 40% off coupon on one item and that is it. I picked up the border punch I wanted and turned to walk back to the register when I noticed a sign that Bazzill card stock is all 40% off. I was shocked to see that the racks were fully stocked (this should have been my first clue). I spent 15 minutes picking out colors I thought I could use. I get up to the check out and the lady is ringing me up and 3/4 of the way through I noticed that the cardstock is not ringing up on sale. I asked the lady about it and she uses her earpiece thing to ask the manager about the "cardboard" not being on sale. We wait several minutes while the manager checks on it (I actually saw her leave her office and walk towards the cardstock area) and she comes back and says no, it's not on sale. So then I have to wait while the checkout lady voids each piece of paper out off the transaction. After I pay, I walked back to the cardstock section and there remains the sign saying 40% off. But when I look at the very bottom in tiny type it says the sale ended two days ago.

Up to this point I was only mildly annoyed. What annoys me more than anything is that the manager walked back there, saw the incorrect signs and then LEFT THEM CLEARLY DISPLAYED.

I get that they could have made a mistake and forgotten to remove them. But why would you leave them up? I feel like they are really trying to be deceptive and hope people pick up items and won't notice they ringing up at full price.

I would like to say I will never shop there again but truthfully I will probably continue to use my 40% off coupon. But you can bet I won't be purchasing anything beyond that one item anytime soon.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Crafty1997

They should have honored the sale price and taken the sale sign down.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to t-scraps

I would have demanded that they honor the sale price!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Sneezy1956

That's not cool! Yes, companies make mistakes but when they do: they should acknowledge it and do their best to rectify it.
She should have removed the sign and honored the price as advertised!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Doreena

Yup, I've had that happen too.

I seem to have more bad experiences at that store, than good, so I AVOID it!

I have actually taken sale signs DOWN myself, when I notice they are outdated.

mrsmiller
Governor
mrsmiller
In response to Doreena

Whenever I see a sale sign, I immediately check the dates. If it is past date, I take the sign down and take it with me to the register. I have never had a problem with a store honoring the sale on the sign. I have done this several times - Target, Best Buy, Meijer. Never done it at Michael's though because I don't shop there anymore due to my personal feelings towards past experiences. Your post just confirms my decision - especially when I can use M's coupons at J's!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to mrsmiller

I've leared to read the signs VERY carefully. There will be a 50% off sign......read it and it's really buy one, get one 50% off. Which is really 25% off. And if they have a sale on like that, you can't use your 40% off coupon.

They have had that up on MS punches an tools for a while.

One thing I've learned is that it takes quite a long time to acquire all of the tools and things you want to scrap...if you are buying smart and getting discount pricing.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to CrimsonMama

This has happened to me too! I agree that stores should honor the sale price if the sign is still up and then they should take the sign down...

I was in The Gap once, there was a table full of boys shirts with a sale sign 30% off...I picked a shirt, went to pay for it and was told it was not on sale....Turns out, there was ONE pile of shirts on the table that were not on sale and tiny, tiny, tiny print at the bottom of the sign that said, "selected items only"....now I thought that was underhanded and misleading! Manager told me I would not get a sale price and they left the pile of shirts on the sale table...

Alison

Fargomutt
Expert
Fargomutt
In response to Sneezy1956

• Sneezy1956 Said:
I would have demanded that they honor the sale price!

me too!!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Fargomutt

Not a huge Michaels fan here either. How aggrevating after you picked out all the cardstock!!!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to binkiemonstermom

Hmmm, guess I'm not very nice. I would have "borrowed" one of their red markers and drawn a HUGE arrow across the sign down to the expiration date!

KellyDee
Tenant
KellyDee
In response to dwelch

How frustrating?! This happened to me last week. I purchased some spray adhesive from our local store and it turned out to be faulty. So I returned it and they said "not to worry, just swap it for another". So I went to have a look and realised that they were all faulty. I told the store manager, who happily issued me a refund but, a few days later, I noticed the cans were still on the shelves!!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to KellyDee

Agreed, they should have honored the sale price anyway. In some states, I think they may actually be required to, though I'm not sure. And to leave the sign up there was just stupid.

I'm not overly impressed with the staff I've encountered at Michael's. I've had consistently poor service at a variety of stores. There's particularly bad training around their coupon policies, and what you can combine or not. To be fair, the wording on the actual coupons doesn't match their actual policy, and I've written to their corporate office and complained about that.

PaulaB102
Tenant
PaulaB102
In response to mrsmiller

• Quote:
Never done it at Michael's

I have done it at my local Michael's and the sign was honored.
It's been about a year, I wonder if they still would...

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to PaulaB102

This is part of the law in CA:
Prohibits any person or store from charging an amount greater than the lowest price posted for a product, even if there is an expiration date posted for that product. This law clarifies that expired sale signs that are not removed must be honored by the merchant. It also clarifies the language of the law to cover scanner overcharges.

I don't know if it's the law, but if the price is charged wrong, most big stores give the item to you free if it's $1 or less, and some percentage (maybe 10 ?) off the price if over $1, plus there are criminal charges if a person pursues it.

Accidents happen and I know customers are bad about putting an item back on a shelf in the wrong place, then someone like me comes along thinking it's on sale...but expired signs shouldn't be up.

As far as coupons, all of the Mike's and J's around me are electronically scanned and the computer either takes it or rejects it. Most employees scan them all and give back what the computer doesn't take. It makes it much easier for everyone since the only "thing" to yell at is the computer :>) Hubby & I have never had a problem with each of us going through the line twice with coupons. The employees don't care since they're mostly just there for a paycheck. I'm always surprised that the computer doesn't kick us out since we usually use the same charge card for check-out.~Judy

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to t-scraps

• t-scraps Said:
They should have honored the sale price and taken the sale sign down.

THIS!! false advertising is on them

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:

As far as coupons, all of the Mike's and J's around me are electronically scanned and the computer either takes it or rejects it. Most employees scan them all and give back what the computer doesn't take. It makes it much easier for everyone since the only "thing" to yell at is the computer :>) Hubby & I have never had a problem with each of us going through the line twice with coupons. The employees don't care since they're mostly just there for a paycheck. I'm always surprised that the computer doesn't kick us out since we usually use the same charge card for check-out.~Judy

the staff members at my store have refused to take/scan the coupons

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Tina scraps

Judy, thanks for posting that CA law. I'm in Cali and I've always asked for the sale price that was posted, and I've never had a problem getting it. Of course, I had to ask. They weren't about to give it to me otherwise.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Crafty1997

• Crafty1997 Said:
So this is my rant of the day (although this happened yesterday). I went to Michael's over my lunch hour armed with my 40% off coupon. That is really the only reason I've been going to my local box stores - just to use my 40% off coupon on one item and that is it. I picked up the border punch I wanted and turned to walk back to the register when I noticed a sign that Bazzill card stock is all 40% off. I was shocked to see that the racks were fully stocked (this should have been my first clue). I spent 15 minutes picking out colors I thought I could use. I get up to the check out and the lady is ringing me up and 3/4 of the way through I noticed that the cardstock is not ringing up on sale. I asked the lady about it and she uses her earpiece thing to ask the manager about the "cardboard" not being on sale. We wait several minutes while the manager checks on it (I actually saw her leave her office and walk towards the cardstock area) and she comes back and says no, it's not on sale. So then I have to wait while the checkout lady voids each piece of paper out off the transaction. After I pay, I walked back to the cardstock section and there remains the sign saying 40% off. But when I look at the very bottom in tiny type it says the sale ended two days ago.

Up to this point I was only mildly annoyed. What annoys me more than anything is that the manager walked back there, saw the incorrect signs and then LEFT THEM CLEARLY DISPLAYED.

I get that they could have made a mistake and forgotten to remove them. But why would you leave them up? I feel like they are really trying to be deceptive and hope people pick up items and won't notice they ringing up at full price.

I would like to say I will never shop there again but truthfully I will probably continue to use my 40% off coupon. But you can bet I won't be purchasing anything beyond that one item anytime soon.

My M's always gives me the sale price if they leave up a sign. Sometimes I have to ask them to, but they do.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to 950nancy

I've not looked at the Ohio law in a long long time but I believe that it is still a low here too.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics