Username Post: Trimmer scoring board in one?        (Topic#1583551)
Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

I am looking for a paper trimmer/scoring board in one. Any suggestions?

I've been using my old gray fiskars paper trimmer since I started scrapbooking 7 years ago. It's been a great little trimmer doesn't cut the straightest but not terrible.

So i'd love to find a new trimmer that will cut straighter. And lately i've really wanted to be able to make those medallion embellishments so I was wondering if there was a paper trimmer and scoring board all in one?

And so i'm hoping to find a brand that michaels carries since my Brother and Sister-in-law gave me a $25 gift certificate for there. Plus then I can use a coupon!

Or would it be just as east to buy the martha stewart scoring board and then a trimmer seperately?

Also i've never tried the rotary trimmer. Are those better than the style i'm curently using?

Thanks a bunch for the help guys!
Products Referenced in This Post:

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Cindyckj

My opinion would be to buy a new trimmer and also an MS score board. Use your coupons and gift card at the store and your $$ will go further. I have a newer model of Fiskars trimmer and love it. My first one was like yours. I took it to my 2nd grade classroom. M's has quite a few models of Fiskars trimmers in all price ranges so you can decide what size and features are important for you. I like the MS score board, too. I got it for half price during a weekly sale. Happy shopping.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I have "ole gray" as well but use a newer fiskars trimmer. I love it! If I need to score, I put the black score blade on it but I don't score often so it works for me--

litlplace
Resident
litlplace
In response to terrihooper

You can score with the trimmer you already have. Line up your paper so that the spot where you want your score line to be is directly over the cutting track of the trimmer. Take a stylus or bone folder and lightly run it on the paper that is above the cutting track of your trimmer. You will want to make the score lines about 1/4 inch apart for making medallions.

I learned this trick at a Fiskars seminar I attended at a scrapbook show a long time ago. This method will take quite a bit longer to score the paper for your medallions than using a score board, but if funds are short or you like your tools to be multi-taskers, this is another way to score straight lines.

Edited by litlplace on 12-28-12 03:49 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to litlplace

Thanks so much for the info. Separately will definitely be the way to go then.

Now I just hope I don't change my mind. I could also use more zots, prima flowers, atg refills, and of course more PAPER!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Cindyckj

I love the MS scoreboard because it has more places to score and it has envelope making piecenetworked in bottom. I use older,not my favorite paper to make envelopes.

I also took black marker and drew down the lines I use the most. Like 5.5" and 4.25". It makes seeing where to score fast.
Products Referenced in This Post:

sabine
sabine 
Idol
sabine
In response to SherylEb

Stampin' Up! Sells a great trimmer that scores also.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to sabine

Sheryl... that is a good idea to permanently mark your favorite lines.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

Great idea Sheryl!

Really can't wait to go to Michaels and use that gift cert and coupons!!!

Diva
In response to Cindyckj

I love my MS scoring board. I have a trimmer as well. Never had tried the combo ones.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to bayamonesa1

I bought a new fiskar's trimmer on Firday it 's got everyhing i want so why am I afraid to open the package.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to cescrapper

I hope your new trimmer doesn't disappoint.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Cindyckj

Enjoy your new trimmer.

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa

I have a cutterbee trimmer. Rather then lines marked on the board like many trimmers have to line up paper, this board has grooves in it that I use with a stylus for scoring. Of course it also has a scoring blade you can buy but I can do it faster with the grooves.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to litlplace

• litlplace Said:
You can score with the trimmer you already have. Line up your paper so that the spot where you want your score line to be is directly over the cutting track of the trimmer. Take a stylus or bone folder and lightly run it on the paper that is above the cutting track of your trimmer. You will want to make the score lines about 1/4 inch apart for making medallions.

I learned this trick at a Fiskars seminar I attended at a scrapbook show a long time ago. This method will take quite a bit longer to score the paper for your medallions than using a score board, but if funds are short or you like your tools to be multi-taskers, this is another way to score straight lines.

Great idea!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Crafting Marfa

I have a combined and never use it hate it....I suggest buying seperate.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to Sneezy1956

I believe Martha Stewart makes one.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics