Username Post: How has your style changed and stayed the same?        (Topic#1583627)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Just curious - what has stayed consistent about your scrapbook style? Going back to my ealiest layouts:

- my style started out and is still block with a lot of matting.
- I've always been fond of nice diecuts if they suit the pages.
- I started out using Comic Sans and still, that is the font I use for my journaling.
- Always love using memorabilia.
- I've always enjoyed thowing in a few layouts with a lot of color

How has my style changed?

- Earlier layouts were almost all 4 x 6 photos. Now I use 5 x 7's and 8 x 10's too.
- I do a lot more collage style and overlapping of photos & memorbilia
- I reseach,journal, and tell stories a lot more
- I started using maps in travel layouts
- Started using flowers and buttons in the past year a little bit
- distress edges sometimes but still not a heavy distresser
- Still mostly block style but ocassionaly more creative pages - especially for granddaughter.
- I cut and crop my photos a lot more.
- Frequently ink the edge of my photos.
- I use a lot more patterned paper - I don't just buy it and collect it.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Henri Jean

I am still a very linear scrapper and I still like to use lots of embellishments.

Whats changed is I love to distress and I'm a heavy distresser I also love busy paper when before I had a very hard time with it. One of my fave is graphic 45 where before it's been very hard for me to work with.

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to Sneezy1956

Looking at my first attempt to make a scrapbook it resembles in no way to what I am doing now. Because I did not want to invest lots of money into something I did not know if I would do it more often, I hardly used any paper (the pages were made in an ordinary album) and I cut a lot of the pictures and got rid of the background.

Although I do like to try out new techniques, I do like to keep the pages fairly simple, not doing lots of layers (I do sometimes overlap, but not tons of paper and embellishments on top of each other).

I have always used memorabilia in my albums, also before I officially started to scrap, so that is still the same. Only I am a bit more fanatic in picking up leaflets, maps and other things I can use.

I still use lots of pictures on every 2-pager I make and are always trying to find new ways to put more on them! For the last albums I have used pretty much the same size pictures, that is something that will change in the future.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to elsje2

Well, my very first pages were very flat, just pictures (often cut into shapes, ugh!), and a few stickers. I really didn't know what I was doing!

I went through a period where I tried to copy a lot of other people and the styles they were doing....I tried a few pages sort of grunge/shabby chic style but could never get it right and was really not happy with what I was doing...
I don't think my style has stayed much the same at all. It has changed greatly. What has changed for me is that I really know what I like now....I think I really know what my style is...

I like using mostly neutrals with a pop of colour, I like things 3 dimensional, I like heat embossing, I don't care if my page has a title, I like to tell stories with my pages (not all of mine do, but those are my favourites), I don't like ribbon or buttons (never seem to incorporate them well, but I did buy a lot of them!), I like touches of glitter and I like different sorts of papers/mediums (acrylic, fabric, wood veneer, vellum, tinfoil, tissue etc.), I love textures, but I don't put everything on one page. I still try to keep things a little bit simple....

Alison

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to kiyawinn

For me the only constant is the fact that I'm always evolving.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to Crafting Marfa

• Crafting Marfa Said:
For me the only constant is the fact that I'm always evolving.

But I evolve verrrrry slowly. I do lots of color blocking and pp blocking, my old standbys, but I've been forcing myself to use more embellies lately. And I've evolved into doing cards, which is basically what I'm known for around my family. They don't care about my LO's, but they love my cards.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to meezerpleaser

Things that have changed;
1. I went from trying to squeeze as many photos on one layout as I could, to enjoying the process of just showcasing one or two photos at a time.
2. I have slowed down a bit and enjoy taking my time on a layout instead of feeling the need to crank out as many pages as possible in one sitting. That seems to have made the most noticeable difference in my work.
3. I went from buying premade embellishments to making most of my own.

Things that stayed the same;
1. Titles. I've always found it easy to work around a good title.
2. Journaling is still not easy for me and even though I've tried to include it, it's still not for me.

Diva
In response to olleharr

Yes and no. I like simple layouts but now I am using more colors and embellishments. Don't feel comfortable with the vintage look, but I do like some pagers. I am becoming more comfortable making cards,

TheHybridMess
Veteran
TheHybridMess
In response to bayamonesa1

What's always been the same.
I include a title and journalling on every page.
My go to embellies are fasteners border and basics like arrows or brackets.

What's different or changing.
Subject matter. I used to tell the story of the event now I try to tell the story around the event. It's more of a "who I am" instead of a "what I did."
I went 100% digital.
I am ok with not including a photo on a page.
While I have always been one for layering; I find myself experimenting more with clustering too

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 01-03-13 04:59 AM
In response to TheHybridMess

I had a cleaner style when I was starting out. Now my layouts are more layered but you can stil see the influence of the clean and simple style in my work.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to IzzyB

We have houseguests now from Honduras and I got out my first ever scrapbook which has 90 pages in it. Most of the pages were 4 pictures with mats and overlapped. And the name of the country we were in. Not nearly enough journaling.

Bill asked me, "What did we do in Honduras?" I had pictures of some scenery but I don't have a clue what we actually did. We may have gone snorkeling but I'm not sure.

No journaling at all for Belize. WE did see the Mayan ruins but I included nothing about the history of them or how old they were or what those particular ruins were used for. Seems I vaguely remember the guide telling us one picture was a thing they used for sacrifices.

But still, the blocking and matting is still there just like I used to do, only I was afraid to cut the photos so they had to overlap. Not collage style, just overlapped so they would fit on the page.

I told Bill, "These pages are horrible!" He said they aren't horrible, they just don't look like your current pages which are really nice."

Our houseguests kept asking Bill questions about the pictures and neither of us could answer them. They wanted to know where certain pictures were taken and I don't remember. Neither did Bill. All we could say was, "Somewhere in Roatan, Honduras."

At least I journaled on some things in the first scrapbook and as each book goes on I journaled more and more so when we get old it won't be just a bunch of picture books, but stories and history to go with it all.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom

I have a lot more tools and toys to play with now, and that shows. Istill like to play with colors and put catchy titles on each page. I am trying to journal more.

One thing I do is write the date of the event, like, "June 5th 2009, picnic at Grandma's" somewhere on the page or in the journaling. A new thing I will add for this year is to write the date I CREATED the page, probably on the back somewhere...so i can see how I've evolved, and how much/little I worked on scrapping for the year! This will also be nice for me because sometimes my son helps me create a page, making punchouts, choosing what pics n where to put them, or "journaling" for me. This past April he SCRIBBLED in black marker all over a LO that I'd worked on for days. I asked him what it was and he told me it was a "letter to Santa". It was NOT a Christmas LO, but how can u get mad at a reply like that? So I worked it into the LO, and it is a great reminder to me of where HE was at in his development at that age. So sentimental, and it wasn't even intentional!!

Pink Spoonbill
Diva
Pink Spoonbill
In response to Juansmom

Good question.

I started in the 90's and we did awful things then like crop photos and massive stickers. I'm still symmetrical and can't seem to stop that but I have evolved. I agree with Chris. The new tools and techniques have made the craft "funnier."

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Pink Spoonbill

Terri - one of the things I absolutely love about your style is you do crop 2-pagers and you have master symetery. I try and just can't get it.

Pink Spoonbill
Diva
Pink Spoonbill

You are too funny. I love your style as well. You have me using more black in my LOs!!!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Pink Spoonbill

When I first started, I would take a 12x12 pp and turn it at an angle, glue it down and call it good! A sticker here, a sticker there, and there....and there.

Now I use a lot of mixed media techniques and distressing. Plus, better designs!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Manda_K

You designs are gorgeous Manda. You are much more of an artist that I will ever be and you are braver with different medias.

scrapperb2
Diva
scrapperb2

When I first started sb supplies were limited and I used 81/2x11" lo's. I use to cut many items by hand and my albums look plain.

Today my lo's talk through the pic's I take and make 12x12 lo's. I love my cricut very much as I can do anything I need. I also use clear stamping, and distressing. I am always looking for a new technique to try. I love bling and colors to POP on my pages.

babigirl
Governor
babigirl
In response to scrapperb2

I think I am evolving slowly just really got back into it I got big goals

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to babigirl

what's changed,,,,,

I don't do much in scrap booking anymore,,,I do much more in card making and in mini books.

I have become more embellishment heavy,,,,,probably because I HAVE more embellishments,,,,when I first started I had so few,,,,and only so much money. As I've collected, spent what I could afford and built up a stash, I have more flowers, dies, stamps, inks, and other embellishments to choose from,,,,

what's stayed the same,,,,,,

although my style is constantly evolving slightly, I have always loved pretty much the same style,,feminine, girly, lots of ribbon, lace, etc,,,,

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics