Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: cuttlebug/spellbinders question        (Topic#1583855)
Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D

Does anyone know if the Spellbinders - Shapeabilities Collection - D-Lites - Die Cutting and Embossing Template will work in a Cuttlebug? I know Sizzix embossing folders work in my C.bug but I'm not sure about Spellbinders?

Any info would be helpful, thank you!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Lauri D

they should work just fine,,,,,,

the regular spellbinders work in a cuttlebug (and really you need ALL of those,,,)

they are made the same way,,,,,just smaller and contain fewer dies.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

you will need one of these to emboss the edges after you cut the die though,,,,,,
Products Referenced in This Post:

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

Holly is the expert!! She started my longing for nesties

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Just G

I use lots of Spellbinders dies in my Cuttlebug. I use a metal plate and also an embossing mat called No More Shims. You can PM me if you need more info. I use quite a few different brands of dies in my Cuttlebug.

ckair 
Resident
  • ckair on 01-05-13 07:56 AM
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I just got into the Spellbinders dies for my cuttlebug. (look out, my daughter said "you already have all those!) My question is how do you emboss them? I also bought the genius ultimate platform. Hope that was not a mistake. Do i cut the die and then put it back into my cuttle bug with a brown embossing mat? THanks for all your help!

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to ckair

Oh my gosh I'm so confused as first I am such a visual learner! and second, I only have used my cuttlebug as an embosser. I'm not really sure how to use it as a die cutter. I messed up one of my plastic plates trying it and only use it for embossing now. Maybe I need different plates. Maybe I should just cave & invest in the spellbinders machine!

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to Lauri D

Me too confused! I have Grand Calibur love it. I have 3 Cuttlebug embossing plates that I have not used because I'm afraid I might mess something up. And yes I am guilty of cutting my base plate. DUH!

LOL auto correct changes Cuttlebug to Scuttlebutt!

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to CrimsonMama

Whichever plate you cut onto using a Cuttlebug will mark, and it will warp eventually too. That's normal - don't worry! I keep a B plate for cutting onto, because all the "sandwiches" use at least one B plate. I have a spare 3rd B plate so that I don't have to use the marked one for embossing.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to RedSquirrel

I have never gotten a chance to use my nesties, I've had them forever, maybe that is why I am feeling so yucky lately.

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom
In response to NMlady

when i emboss I use a plumbers gasket from the hardware store and 3 scrap pieces of paper as shims instead of the tan embossing mats. just in case that helps someone.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to Briannasmom

Spellbinders work with Cuttlebug. I use them all the time in me Cuttlebug. I use the A plate, C and B plate too

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to TheCharmedOne

Are you wanting to use the embossing lines that are a part of the Spellbinders? There are a lot of videos on youtube. Or you could use a plastic embossing folder... embossing a rectange of paper and then use that paper with a die. Or you could cut the shape using the Spellbinders die, pop it out and then put that shape in your embossing folder and tun it through the Bug. I have a lot of fun trying things... I get a package of carstock/paper... plain tan... when it is on sale and then I try out all kinds of things. I do have the tan mats from Spellbinders. After having my bug for 2 years... I did buy the ultra thin metal plate to use with the very detailed Cherry Lynn dies and the No More Shims pad. I love my Bug. I mostly make cards and it meets all of my needs.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I don't have the cuttle bug have the big shot but you should be able to find a lot of you tube instructions on what layers you need to make them all cut. I know with Cherry Lynn dies I need a sheet of card stock under my plates to get them to cut right since they are so detailed I also add a sheet of wax paper with them.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Sneezy1956

different machines have different sandwiches to properly cut and emboss the dies,,,,,,

but in general, the sandwich for most machines is as follows to cut:

cutting plate, paper, die (cutting side down), base plate, send through machine,,,

depending on the machine, you may need to add a shim or another plate of some sort, so read the directions.

some machine directions say to do this in reverse. That is:

base plate, die (cutting side up) paper, cutting plate and then any shims,,,

Spellbinders told me it doesn't matter which way you do it as long as you are cutting into your cutting plate. It's the same sandwich, just upside down.

after cutting, you will need to put the die back THROUGH the machine in order to emboss it.

sandwich: base plate, die with paper showing UP, tan embossing mat, another plate (this plate will vary depending on the machine.)

this will give you a lovely embossed edge that looks amazing on cards and scrapbook pages.

I recommend Youtube to show you YOUR machine.

here is one vid on the cuttle bug,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiCKKfYBNJ4

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

One thing,,,,,,

danger, will robinson,,,,,,

these things are ADDICTIVE!

1.5 years after I bought my first spellbinders,,,I have 65 sets---this does include other dies that are not spellbinders such as Memory box, etc,,,,

and it includes a set of Grand Spellbinders, of which the largest TWO won't fit through your cuttlebug. Grand Spellbinders are way too pricey to buy if you can't fit them all through, so if I were you, I wouldn't bother with those unless you upgrade to a machine that can take them all.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama

so Holly, if I have the plastic embossing plates from Cuttlebug actually, they are folders, how do you use that in the Grand Caliber to emboss? (because it's a folder) does the paper go inside the folder? That seems thick to me. I don't want to break the machine! I know that's a dumb question but it's not obvious to me!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CrimsonMama

• CrimsonMama Said:
so Holly, if I have the plastic embossing plates from Cuttlebug actually, they are folders, how do you use that in the Grand Caliber to emboss? (because it's a folder) does the paper go inside the folder? That seems thick to me. I don't want to break the machine! I know that's a dumb question but it's not obvious to me!

The grand calibur has its own raspberry spacer plate that you use embossing folders with,,,

you use the following sandwich

pink plate
embossing folder with paper inside
raspberry spacer plate,,,,,
send through machine,,,,,

I've discovered, however, that I can use a cutting plate from my big shot in lieu of a raspberry spacer plate and it goes through just fine.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by CommaHolly on 01-06-13 08:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Holly is my enabler! Now I'm hoplessly hooked.

I kind of wish I had gotten the grand caliber instead of the Big Shot because I love some of the Cheery Lynn dies and they are too big for my Big Shot. Probably a good thing or I would be buying more dies!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Henri Jean

I upgraded for that reason, Henri LOL. I still like my big shot for the thicker dies, though,,,,like the sizzix and tim holtz.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics