Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: The Cons of Using Your Stash...        (Topic#1583991)
Doreena
Governor
Doreena

So there has been a big trend in "using up your stash"...which is great, something I am all for and have been doing myself...

BUT, yes I have a big "but", LOL...

I notice that when I see something I like on someone's layout and they have linked it, the item is 99% of the time a discontinued item! Darn!
Such a tease, LOL!

Anybody else having this problem?
Or have anything to say about the topic in general?

Please share...

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Doreena

yep, that's right! I've seen a lot of the wood veneer cameras from Studio Calico on the recent layouts - boy, would I love to have a pack of those! nope, not even on e bay, too bad... most of the stuff you can find there if not in this store))
oh and what cracks me up - items labeled "BRAND NEW - JUST ARRIVED" with the red "discontinued" just below)))

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to OlesyaK.

Oh, I hadn't noticed that... now I'm going to pay more attention "just because"...

marypats
Veteran
marypats
In response to Doreena

i love using up my stash because that lets me buy more new stuff!! LOL!!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to marypats

True dat, Mary!

I'm actually running out of "stash" supplies and will HAVE to start buying more stuff... oh the horror!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Doreena

Well, I can't say I am running out of stash but I can resist putting stuff I love in my wish list, but many times it seems like I see something in "New Arrivals" in the Superstore and it's gone really quickly. I suspect that when something comes out, that SB.com gets a limited amount.

The last time this happened, I even recommended it to a friend who I KNEW would love it and she did but it was gone already!

I mull things over for a while tho' before I pull the trigger on a wish list.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CrimsonMama

I have stuff in my stash that is over 5 years old. More and more stuff is getting outdated. I doubt much that I have would be on the currents lists. I never have to go out and buy anything to scrapp and could probably scrap for 2-3 years without buying anything. I only buy what I love and that is a lot of stuff but rarely has anything to do with what I'm scrapping now. I even buy 24 box - 48 rolls of ATG tape at a time so I only have to buy it every couple years.

I hate when I find perfect paper for a layout and don't have enough of it. I can't buy anymore - its not around anymore.

I just posted the Robert, the Haunted Doll of Key West layout. I went back to the site when I bought the fence for it and that has been discontinued except for digi download.

I did buy several extras a few years ago so I'm set for my next haunted layouts and I'm sure there will be more but when I use the next two - there are no more.

Artfulscrapbooking
Veteran
Artfulscrapbooking
In response to Henri Jean

I try to use current supplies, but I also love to incorporate older items from my stash. I find I use the older items in a new and different way than I would of when I first got them.

my blog: http://artfulscrapbooking .wordpress.com/

Edited by artfulscrapbooking on 01-09-13 10:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Artfulscrapbooking

I haven't encountered this. I do not jump on the band wagon of new products, and never really find myself longing for the latest/greatest item(s).

I shop discount stores, so most of my stash is outdated before I even buy it.

Scrapbook Roadie
Resident
Scrapbook Roadie

You know what I hate about using my stash? Then I don't have it anymore... Isn't that silly?

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Scrapbook Roadie

Oh but you DO have it still... it's in your album!

ScrapperKate03
Expert
ScrapperKate03

Oh my goodness... I don't think I will ever use all my stash - I'm to the point of trying to give stuff away to my friends that are teachers just to create more room. So much of it are sets from when I first started scrapbooking - so outdated! What do we do with stuff we will (probably) never use?!?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• Scrapbook Roadie Said:
You know what I hate about using my stash? Then I don't have it anymore... Isn't that silly?

I think there's a name for that. Hoarding?

{I do that to an extent. "This is such a great embellishment. I don't want to *waste* it." So I wait for the 'perfect' page to use it on.}

Artfulscrapbooking
Veteran
Artfulscrapbooking
In response to Doreena

That's why I have a hard time with cards...because you are giving aways items you love. I agree with Doreen, when the items are on your layouts, you still have them in your albums!!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

• artfulscrapbooking Said:
That's why I have a hard time with cards...because you are giving aways items you love. I agree with Doreen, when the items are on your layouts, you still have them in your albums!!

I don't do cards... I'm too selfish, LOL!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Doreena

LOL, I love cards, they are about all I enjoy making,,,,,mostly because they make other people so happy.

However, because they are cards, I often try to buy things on sale or clearance. Then I go to link them,,and sure enough,,,,,,,discontinued LOL.

Example,,,,,,just bought these yesterday at M's for 1.99 instead of the original 4.99. I loved them when they came out, but refused to spend 4.99 for ten buttons. ridiculous.

but they are discontinued LOL. Makes sense, they were on clearance at M's.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:

when I did a lot of knitting and crocheting and giving the items away, I took a picture of the item and put it in an album - like an art portfolio of your work.. then part of it remains with me)) you could do that with cards, I guess.. then it's not so hard to give them away)

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 01-09-13 11:35 AM
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
yep, that's right! I've seen a lot of the wood veneer cameras from Studio Calico on the recent layouts - boy, would I love to have a pack of those! nope, not even on e bay, too bad... most of the stuff you can find there if not in this store))
oh and what cracks me up - items labeled "BRAND NEW - JUST ARRIVED" with the red "discontinued" just below)))

OLesya that has made me just a little crazy too.. duh!

Scrapbook Roadie, I used to think that too or not want to use something because it is so wonderful. Now I figure that if I use it I can justify buying another wonderful thing and as Doreena said you still have it if its in your album and if you give the album away 10 - 1 you won't even remember the item after a while.

I notice that lots of posters say there stuff is out of date but really that's only if we compare it to new products all the time. Even the newest stuff it will be outdated but when it's in an album who cares?

Edited by GMFTS on 01-09-13 11:44 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
  • Doreena Said:

when I did a lot of knitting and crocheting and giving the items away, I took a picture of the item and put it in an album - like an art portfolio of your work.. then part of it remains with me)) you could do that with cards, I guess.. then it's not so hard to give them away)

I take pics of all my cards,,,,,

and if I really REALLY like it,,,,,I can always make another

arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac
In response to GMFTS

Can you believe that I have challenged myself to only use my stash?! I am now making cards and I love it! I am also involved in swaps. When I finish a hand made swap item or a card, I take a photo and let it go. I told myself that I would use what I have until July 2013...then it's "Christmas in July" for me! Keep me in your prayers! I am really trying to be good and stick to it!

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics