Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: 8x8.....not a fan        (Topic#1584391)
olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

I am having such a hard time putting together an 8x8 scrapbook for my niece. I usually stick with 12x12's but I thought 8x8 would be perfect for a baby album. I have been struggling trying to come up with different ideas and layouts. Even the embellishing seems so much harder to me as I don't feel there's room for anything without the pages looking over crowded and bulky. You wouldn't think 4" would make that much of a difference. I've always wanted to try a mini but now I don't think I'm even going to attempt it. Bigger is better for me I guess. What are your thoughts on the smaller albums? Do you have a harder time with layouts? Any tips for those of us who are size challenged?

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 01-23-13 06:27 AM
In response to olleharr

I had the same hard time with the 8x8 also. I made (well, still in the process of making) an 8x8 album of my niece & nephew. I was doing an A-Z album, with each page being a letter of the alphabet. It is definitely a challenge! I am having a hard time coming up with neat ideas for it. I will finish this at some point, but don't know if I will ever make another one. I have used some embellishments that I've had for a long time in it. I'm trying to come up with creative ways to use some of the older stuff. Sometimes the smaller page allows me to use something that I just have one of something left and need to use it up.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to LeeLo

I have worked with albums of all sizes, from 12x12 all the way down to 3x3. Are you printing pictures for this, or just putting in photo mats for the recipient to put in photos? If you're putting in the photos, it's easier to use 3x4 pictures in it to make it look less bulky. Also, Page Maps has some good 8x8 sketches.

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to BlingQueenRia

8x8 is actually my preferred size since most of what I do is gift albums or albums for a specific trip/holiday/etc. I don't like 6x6 at all since you can't use any 4x6 photos and while I enjoy all the space of 12x12 they take me too long to do and don't work as gift albums since its just too much for non-scrappers.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to disneylisa

I wasn't a huge fan of 8x8 when I did my first one for the same reasons, and never thought I would do a mini. But I spent a ton if time looking at pages from other people and sketches, tons of inspiration. That and scaling my photo size down to no bigger than 3x5 has really helped. I also found making my own embellies helped since I could scale them down to a size proportionate to the album. now I do mini albums al the time and love them!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

I agree I would probably never gift a 12x12 album either. I tried looking around a little for sketches but no luck. I'll give pagemaps a try for sure thanks! I'm printing out 3.5x5 photos for this album. I tried doing the first half without pictures and it seemed even more difficult for me. And I'm doing the same thing LeeLo, scrounging around my stash for smaller embellies. Just seems like this little book is taking forever to finish. I feel so limited in what I can do.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to olleharr

Check our Scrappinology's channel on You Tube. She has done some awesome mini books, and is a big inspiration to me.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to flintridgescrapper

Check out my gallery - I did an 8x8 baby book with mats for the photos that the parents chose. Mostly they were one-photo pages, but I did have a couple that were two-photo pages.

It's certainly harder than 12x12, but I found that it forced me to be more creative with the smaller space. I realized quickly that less was more. The more uptight I got about it, the harder it got. So loosen up, relax, and have fun with it!

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to meezerpleaser

I used to do a lot of 8x8 and I liked it better than 12x12! I got out of doing 8x8 because there are so many great papers out there that are designed for 12x12 and can't be cut down (such as shaped pages or prints that have a border). Like meezerpleaser said, just roll with it. It might also help, if you have a Silhouette or Cricut, to make your own embellies in the size that works for the page rather than relying on premade things that seem too large to you. Also, maybe decoration with less visual weight, like stamping, might work. I've seen some mini albums embellished largely with stamps that look amazing, not flat or boring at all. Heat embossing, glossy accents, and Stickles all bring great dimension to stamped images.

Have fun!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to *jesse*

For me, 8x8 are perfect for gifts. You do have to keep it simple once you get your mind on that, it is easier. But that part takes a bit if you are used to 12X12 format.
8x8 are quicker for me since they are simplier.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to binkiemonstermom

Well a few years ago I created a 8/8 album I titled "Sweetie" for Gabby. I used SEI Sweetie line, really cute pale blues, pinks and browns it was actually a box kit and I pretty much used what came with it along with some added items. I kept it really simple, going from different stages of her life from birth to a few months old. I also did a "summer 2009" 8/8 album that I sent to my sister. You can check my gallery, I added years ago on the very last page you will see 8/8 individual pages of Gabby titled Bliss, All Mine, Cute As A Button....and so on.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to binkiemonstermom

That's how I feel. My 8x8 work has been for my mom and my brother's books. I can do them faster. My 12x12....I take forever just thinking about all the elements I can or should use. Then I take 2-4 days to complete the LO. I am thinking of doing another 8x8 for a 93 year old cousin. I just recently came across some photos of her when she was about 8 years old and some of her family.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CrimsonMama

A woman at a crop did an 8 x 8 and it was beautiful. I loved it and decided to make one for a gift.

I really hated every minute working on it, found it difficult and did't enjoy it at all. Like making cards - just not for me.

Now I only make 12 x 12's. The 8 x 8 was entirely too frustrating.

julie101
Idol
julie101
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
A woman at a crop did an 8 x 8 and it was beautiful. I loved it and decided to make one for a gift.

I really hated every minute working on it, found it difficult and did't enjoy it at all. Like making cards - just not for me.

Now I only make 12 x 12's. The 8 x 8 was entirely too frustrating.

Oh Im the same I really get sh itty working on anything smaller then 12x12.

Tho I made a few cards that i didnt mind doing I really wish I could do smaller maybe next month it can be my goal

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to julie101

I actually like 8x8. Look at the wedding one in my gallery. I do lots of minis for gifts. Most of the ones I do are 6x6, because I can make a whole book out of one paperpad. But they are hard for 4x6 photos. I try to have the photo have the correct orientation so the binding is not in the way, or else they will have to trim the photos a little bit. With 8x8, you don't have that worry. I actually make any size I want. I've even made 10x10 before. Then just use the BIA. I love that thing. Especially the square holes. They take up so little room.

Diva
In response to SherylEb

I work any size of pages. I like diversity and sometimes the small pages are challenging but fun! Faster to have it done!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to bayamonesa1

8X8's are hard as it is. Throw making it into a gift album into the mix, it makes it even harder! When my best friend found out she was having twins, I made her a premade 12x12 album (so she can just attach the pictures at a later date). I kept it fairly simple and even that took a LONG time to finish. I even used the same paper line to speed up the process. But it the end, the hard work paid off. My friend LOVES it, and your niece will too!

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia

• disneylisa Said:
8x8 is actually my preferred size since most of what I do is gift albums or albums for a specific trip/holiday/etc. I don't like 6x6 at all since you can't use any 4x6 photos and while I enjoy all the space of 12x12 they take me too long to do and don't work as gift albums since its just too much for non-scrappers.

I made my mom a 12x12, but I do the pages for her and gift her the pages since I'm not allowed to spend any money on her.

Diva
In response to BlingQueenRia

Same with me. My family only accept handmade gifts from me. It is great for me as my budget is very limited. I have tons of donated scrapbooking goodies so it is fine with me!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to bayamonesa1

Thanks everyone. It's kinda nice to know I'm not the only one that finds it difficult. I'll get through it I'm sure. I would say "never again" but I have two nephews who's wives are expecting also so I might have to suck it up and do a couple more. Maybe I'll be a pro at it by the end of the year.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics