Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: designer knock offs        (Topic#1584569)
OlesyaK.
Idol
OlesyaK.

I feel like I've just fallen off the turnip truck or something)) Am I the last one to know that M's carries designer paper knock offs under their official Recollections label?? I went in a couple days ago and saw a stack that I could have sworn was My Minds Eye Miss Caroline collection! Same colors for sure, same designs, but I think the original had less glitter and clear embossing on the actual paper designs. Other than that it looked exactly the same. I know because I got my Miss Caroline collection kit just a week before))
Then I saw two stacks that looked very much like Teresa Collins collections. Everyday moments is exactly the same, the other one I wasn't a 100% sure about, since I don't have it in my stash. Some other stacks looked suspiciously familiar...
Designer knock offs? Really?
why can't they just have the real thing.. they carry MME in 6*6 format, why not the big collections?
What do you think - good or bad?

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to OlesyaK.

I am not a fan of the Recollections paper. I know DCWV did a release with them a while ago. I never understood that either. DCWV sells fine, why do it under the Recollections label? It could be that they are doing a cheaper version of the paper line? Not sure.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to binkiemonstermom

I have seen the knockoffs as well....what kills me is the paper quality is NOT at all the same but the price isn't any cheaper!
I won't buy them. I just prefer to support the originals and the quality is so much better too.

Alison

Veteran
In response to kiyawinn

wow i just got a m's the other month near my house and i have used their recollections papers (halloween one) and i thought it was pretty cool but not good quality it sounds like they really should just carry the real deal if you ask me. On the fence i guess!!!!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to mindygail

As far as I know, they aren't EXACTLY knock-offs. M's buys the rights to the designs and then they manufacture them under the Recollections brand name. They use cheaper paper and no glitters or anything, just plain jane.

Diamond Events by Tiffany
In response to Manda_K

Some of the knockoffs do have glitter. I used a christmas line and it was glittered...just ask everyone I came in contact with in December...glitter everywhere.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to OlesyaK.

The Recollections pad that you are referring to that is a knock off of Miss Caroline is called Today-Tomorrow-Forever. It is a premimum stack with glitter and embossing. One thing about some of the store brands is that they will have two levels of paper, one is heavy with embossed designs and glitter (Recollections call this Signature Line) and one will be thinner, no adornment, and come in larger cheaper pads. And it is EXACTLY the same paper design. HOWEVER, it is not two sided paper, it is one sided paper. Good quality paper tho. I would say if you buy the 48 sheet pad with a 40% off coupon you are getting a good deal.

My Minds Eye is two sided and it has the embellies, which would go with both BTW.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CrimsonMama

Okay Vicki - I crown thee Queen of Paper - you are really familar with the designer brands and store brands and are a fountain of information.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Henri Jean

I have some of the Recollections paper too, and it's very thick and gorgeous,,,,,,,some of their fatter 180 page type pads are kinda cheap, though.

Pssssst,,,,,,,they also make knock off gems, bling, pearls, flowers, etc. But you didn't hear that from me!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to CommaHolly

I remember a stink about this over the summer when people were finding Amy Tangerine's Sketchbook line rebranded as Recollections with no mention/credit to her.

This was written by Amy Tan on another website:

"So here's the deal:
A while back there was some talk about Michaels picking up my papers for a test order for some of their stores. I didn't follow up with American Crafts about this (as I trust our partnership) and then I saw the post which initiated this post about it being under the Recollections brand. I contacted American Crafts and they told me that is how Michaels has done it in the past when they have purchased any of their paper lines. It's rebranded as Recollections. Without going into too much detail about my confidential licensing agreement with AC, I trust that they make the right decisions and are looking out for my best interest as well."

OlesyaK.
Idol
OlesyaK.
In response to kelseymel

so okay they ARE the same papers, and I didn't just dream it up (yep, "new" stuff takes forever to get across the border to our stores LOL). I can see the awesome benefit of having Miss Caroline on a single sided paper - the designs are soo gorgeous, I would use it over and over)) except really didn't like the glitter and embossing.
and why wouldn't they give credit for the design, that's just silly. The famous names can only bring more buyers, not less.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to OlesyaK.

NO you aren't dreaming. It would be interesting to know how and why this works but odds are M's makes more money by licensing the design under their brand. Am I right in thinking that most of the premium lines are sold in more exclusive stores? Not big box is what I mean.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
Okay Vicki - I crown thee Queen of Paper - you are really familar with the designer brands and store brands and are a fountain of information.

I just happened to have that one and recognized it as a knock off when I saw it!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I don't believe I have ever seen the "signature line" then....I live in Canada and most of the knockoffs I've seen here are single paper sheets.
They are one sided and definitely not the same quality. The paper is thin.
The quality is not as good but the price (.99 per sheet) is about the same....

Alison

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
so okay they ARE the same papers, and I didn't just dream it up (yep, "new" stuff takes forever to get across the border to our stores LOL). I can see the awesome benefit of having Miss Caroline on a single sided paper - the designs are soo gorgeous, I would use it over and over)) except really didn't like the glitter and embossing.
and why wouldn't they give credit for the design, that's just silly. The famous names can only bring more buyers, not less.

it's just like the store brand of cereal or ketchup or soda ... the fact that they DON'T have it under the brand name is one of the ways they can sell it for less

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to madmatter

I think some of the big box stores do sell some designer papers. Our Hobby Lobby does. Not many, but you can find some Basic Grey, Cosmo Cricket, I think....there is a couple others that they carry. Not sure why they don't sell the more designer brands but that's what makes the LSS so special!!!! (if you can still FIND a LSS store!!!!!)

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to binkiemonstermom

They also have the same Art Bin containers renamed under Recollections for 30% cheaper and then you can get them another 50% off too. I love that I can get the snap containers for $8.50 and they are $20 in JoAnn's and other places.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to 950nancy

I have bought the MME Lost and Found Collection under the recollections brand and the quality isn't as good. The glitter is no where as good and is a bit stingy to be honest plus the colors are a bit off and the papers are single sided and there are no die cut pieces. I have put one of the orginals next to the recollections and there is a big difference. I went out and got as many of the orginal sheets as I could as I was doing my son's album in Portebello Road (I can't do flowers but he will have to live with Glitter).

I wanted the Miss Caroline set but waited to get the real thing and I am glad I did. The recollections papers don't have the textures of the orginals as well (TC has a lot of textured papers, I don't know if the orginals were textured but the M's ones are not). Also some of the Recollections pads are really thin for the DCWV when you compare them to the older DCVW.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to CorrieW

Just to be clear, the premimum Recollections papers I have gotten lately, thick paper, emobossing, glitters.....are pads of 48 pages. One sided, but very nice thick paper, embossed beautifully. It's not single sheet paper, it's in pads. Most of their single sheet is thin.

Look for the "Signature" Collections. I have one called Steampunk Botanica. If that one is a knock off, I don't know what of. Today Tomorrow Forever, which is the MME knock off.

Personally, I think they have to have something to compete with The Paper Studio line at HL which has both nice pads and the big pads that are thinner. K & Company has big pads of thinner paper too at J's.

I have more Paper Studio and DCWV than Recollections.

Honestly, I don't buy the brand. I'm not brand loyal. I buy it for the design and what I might be able to use it for. I ususally can flip through a pad and know if it suits what I need to scrap right away.

OlesyaK.
Idol
OlesyaK.

• CrimsonMama Said:

Honestly, I don't buy the brand. I'm not brand loyal. I buy it for the design and what I might be able to use it for. I ususally can flip through a pad and know if it suits what I need to scrap right away.

Same with me - if the colors are pleasing and I like the designs, I buy. It just so happens that I buy the same designers over and over! I can pick up almost any BasicGrey and work with it, but say Webster's pages - I have to think long and hard on how to use it.
MME are the ones I buy lots of. and seeing their name on the pack would be a positive thing, not a negative for sure..
By the way, BasicGrey blog mentions one of their new collections being sold exclusively at Joann's - hope we'll get some in Canada though since there's no Joann's here))

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics