Username Post: Help, I etched my Cuttlebug plates!!        (Topic#1587175)
Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom

So I used some Sizzix Sizzlets alpha dies in my Cuttlebug, and now the B plates are all etched up with the imprint of the cuts I made. I put the A plate down first, a B plate, my die, the paper, then another B plate. I even experimented with a cardboard layer in btwn the paper and the top B plate, but all that happened was I got nice cardboard letters as well!

I looked in the Cuttlebug directions, (because i am a WOMAN, and we READ the directions!) and nothing was mentioned about switching to a different plate, or an adaptor or anything. It does say that the Cuttlebug is compatible with other dies, inc the sizzix and sizzlets.

I thought i had read somewhere here on SB.com WAAAAY back about using other plates, so i investigated in M's last week. All I found was a C plate, but it was long, like for cutting long dies or for quilling.

Any imput? Sure, the plates are still usable, but they look, well, USED. I just want to make sure I didnt miss something and I can prevent the dies from etching in the future. Thanks!!

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to Juansmom

My plates are "etched," too. I thought it was just what happened when you use the plates. I'll be interested to see what people say about this.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Juansmom

If you look at youtube "experts", they all say it's normal for the plates to get etched. I keep one B plate (since I have two of them) for the cut-side plate, then I put the C plate on the "uncut" side so it stays pretty good, but they still will get marked up eventually. It just shows they're loved and well-used :>)

I do change the plates around because warping is also normal, but to minimize it I switch which end goes in first and flip them over so I actually end out etching both sides of that B plate. I hope this makes some kind of sense~

BTW, Chris, we've missed you over on the PDF thread, which is now PDF Part Deux. We've all been concerned about you.~Judy

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to mrsdriver5

Thanks Judy...I sorta expected an answer from the likes of you, haha! Thanks for letting me know its natural to get the etching. And I have noticed the warping, but as a "rules girl" I never even thought of flipping the plates to combat that!! I will start doing that now!! I actually bought a new set of B plates, and of course, the C plates tooo...

I just posted a reply on PDF2 as well, a quick catch up...I have missed my friends!

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to mrsdriver5

Come to think of it, my plates are warped as well. Glad to know this is normal, and that there are ways to minimize the warping. Thanks!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to jaspernonyx

Yep, warping and etching is normal.

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom
In response to NMlady

I try to switch my plates around so they last longer. I also have a set for die cuts and a separate set for embossing.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to MisasMom

Yes, the B plates do get scratched up and warped. You have to replace them every so often. I keep an extra set handy, use one for embossing and another one for die-cutting.

Vivian Lake
Guru
Vivian Lake
In response to Solitaire

I bought my cuttlebug about 5 YEARS ago. The plates are very much etched and well used. You'll be buying a lot of plates if that bothers you. I still have my original plates from my original purchase. And yes, I use my cuttlebug A LOT! LOL

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Vivian Lake

My B plates are a mess! But the still work and that's all that counts right? Love my cuttlebug!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to olleharr

My plates were so bad they didn't even look "clear" anymore.They had kinda a white cloudy look. They were my original set, older than I can remember! I just recently got a new set and that was only because 1 of the plates actually cracked in half, from being warped and well used!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to ChansGram

I have one B plate just for cutting onto. I had it like that for 5 years until my new scrapping friend came over a few weeks ago. Despite the "training" and owning her own Cuttlebug, she managed to cut into not only my other B plate but my C plate and even my A plate. I was illogically upset about that!

Yes, your plates will get marked. It's no biggie.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to RedSquirrel

Used plates are marked/etched plates. I have used mine a lot over the years and just recently replaced one B. Long ago when I bought my Bug, the starter kit came with A, 2 Bs and a C. I think now that they don't give you the C with the intial kit.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to pinkpaperairedale

THANKS EVERYBODY!!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Juansmom

Yes they will be etched. I used mine so much it is unreal. I did hear something about being able to put them in the oven to "melt them slightly". but I dont' think I care that much because they still work. Check out youtube videos on it if it bugs you. Or buy new ones.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics