Username Post: ISO Advice Zoo Mini        (Topic#1588245)
MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

Hello!

Short Version: Looking for ideas/what you've learned when tackling a zoo project.

Long Version: I decided that we'd celebrate DS's Kindergarten graduation with a long-overdue vacation/ trip to the Columbus Zoo. Naturally, I'm going to create a mini about the experience. My initial thinking is that (at the very least) I'll snap photos of the animals we see/info in the plexi glass; and as many shots of the family as possible.

So here's where I think it could go horribly wrong. I've never taken my child to the zoo and I don't know how realistic it is to expect myself/DH to take 200 pictures (rough estimate). Does anyone have any words of wisdom to share?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to MommaSaid

For me, 200 pictures for a zoo trip (even before editing out pics I wont use or that turned out badly) would be serious overkill, even though I take a lot of shots I don't scrap.

On the one hand, with no kids, I'm free to do whatever I want with the camera without having to look after anyone, which mght mean I take more photos than I otherwise would. On another hand, with no kids, I'm probably taking a lot fewer photos of people. On the other hand, my zoo trips may also just be a lot quicker than other folks.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to aquabunny

I think it is NO problem at all to take 200 pics in a zoo trip!
We go to the Toronto Zoo several times every summer and I take tons of pics (never counted them!)....

If you are asking what to take pics of.....the food you are eating, the sign at the front entrance, all the animals (and usually more than one pic of each to make sure you get a good one), the signs at the cages that tell what the animal is, family.....
You might want to do a page with the map of the zoo...for fun, if you have a pedometer, check how far you walk in a day (if it's anything like our zoo, you walk miles!)
Don't forget a picture of the ice cream face, when you get really hot and stop for a snack....
Take a picture of your son and DH walking down one of the paths from the back (great pic to do a layout about how far you walk)....

Make sure you keep the camera handy (strap around your neck?) and just snap away!
At a kindergarten level, your son will get tired so bring snacks and a good stroller or wagon...
Why don't you give him a throw away camera and let him take a few shots of his favourite animals?
Have fun!
My son has been going to the zoo since he was about 2 yrs. old....He's now 7 and the zoo is still a favourite destination!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to kiyawinn

Anne, are you asking if you can take 200 pics at the zoo? sure you can, especially if you are planning to take pics of the info boards. but are you sure you can actually FIT 200 pics in a mini?? that's not a mini format, for sure... even might not fit a smash-book-mini format.. on the other hand, you can take pics of the info but then turn it into journaling or "quick facts" style of writing blocks by copying the text, but not actually scrap the entire shot. that might be quite interesting, especially for a kindergartner who is just starting to read, it would be a fun activity for him in the next couple years.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
Hello!

Short Version: Looking for ideas/what you've learned when tackling a zoo project.

Long Version: I decided that we'd celebrate DS's Kindergarten graduation with a long-overdue vacation/ trip to the Columbus Zoo. Naturally, I'm going to create a mini about the experience. My initial thinking is that (at the very least) I'll snap photos of the animals we see/info in the plexi glass; and as many shots of the family as possible.

So here's where I think it could go horribly wrong. I've never taken my child to the zoo and I don't know how realistic it is to expect myself/DH to take 200 pictures (rough estimate). Does anyone have any words of wisdom to share?

Well. I live in Columbus. You will have no problem taking 200 pics at our zoo. Lots of the animal are in large habitats that there is large walkways through them. They are so large to hold strollers, wheelchairs, families, a tour bus. It iis very user/kid/family friendly.
Some of the animals are in buildings but there is plenty of room for you & others. Lots of it is like you were walking through a huge park.
It is very family friendly. There are tons of picture ops. I think they added some places where it is a photo op too. I have taken that many pics when we have gone. Now, they have added so many more cool things in last few years, you may take more than 200 easily.
It is the greatest zoo now. lol ever since Jack Hanna became director many many years ago. He made great changes. I love going to the zoo to take the pics so can scrap them. You will be quite surprised at it all. You will LOVE it . YOUR SON will LOVE it too. I love looking at the pics I took of my kids when we went there when they were kids. You will be fine..HAVE A BLAST

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to anda11

Ohhhhhh! Ladies, you have no idea how grateful I am right now; SO many grate points to ponder.

I know he'll flip for the dinosaur exhibit. DH is really looking forward to the Aquarium. I'm just thinking about trying to keep up. Ten hours is a good length of time.... I have considered a stroller. DS and I can take turns pushing each other.

Mainly, I feel so unsure because this will be our first trip, just the three of us out of town. While I'm trying to prepare for everything, I'm also trying to remember that I *won't* get it all perfect and that's okay, too.

Oh, and DH just reminded me that *this time* I'm not allowed to erase pictures he take of me, just because I think I look fat (our extended family trip to the Toronto Zoo). Sadly ALL those photos are gone because he didn't back them up before fixing the computer years ago.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
Ohhhhhh! Ladies, you have no idea how grateful I am right now; SO many grate points to ponder.

I know he'll flip for the dinosaur exhibit. DH is really looking forward to the Aquarium. I'm just thinking about trying to keep up. Ten hours is a good length of time.... I have considered a stroller. DS and I can take turns pushing each other.

Mainly, I feel so unsure because this will be our first trip, just the three of us out of town. While I'm trying to prepare for everything, I'm also trying to remember that I *won't* get it all perfect and that's okay, too.

Oh, and DH just reminded me that *this time* I'm not allowed to erase pictures he take of me, just because I think I look fat (our extended family trip to the Toronto Zoo). Sadly ALL those photos are gone because he didn't back them up before fixing the computer years ago.

Dear dear Anne, Cam I say something to you as a 50 year old woman???? I never liked any photo of me as a child or as a teen..or as a young mother.. I always thought I looked fat. I never thought any photo looked good or perfect. That was when I was skinnier too. No matter what I never liked any pic of me. I was always trying to make my pics perfect too. some years later I realized that My kids, dh, all my relatives & our adventures were all PERFECT. :)So were our pictures too. It was my precious boy & girl, dh, family.
Lots of people were overweight. lots of kids were dirty. lots of pics were blurry, lots of pics were not perfect but they are perfect to me & my son & daughter & husband. None of my photos are perfect.
I found out that photographers had to take lots of rolls just to get a few good shots. My son & daughter are now 27 & 30. They Love looking at the pics of us everywhere. Lots of those times, I was 40 lbs overweight. My son & daughter don't even notice. They just notice we are having a blast with them.

I just looked at your layout about you being a mom at your son's school. PLEASE LISTEN.... you have a precious adorable son & YOU ARE A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to anda11

Linda, you are awesome and absolutely correct.

That picture I had deleted was of a... oh, carry the four, but I'm not THAT old @ 36, now.... eat pi....just married, so... about 25 year young woman. I learned then, that it was a mistake to delete that photo because it hurt DH's feelings. In that moment, he thought I was beautiful and wanted to remember that for years to come. Major guilt.

In the ten years since, I've tackled weight; overcome many insecurities; embraced imperfection AND myself, became a mom and slooooooowly learned it's okay to not have total control of everything in the world. In fact, it's exhausting and just not fun. Oh, and I seem to be winning my own battles to stay alive. I'm not skinny in the least, but now that's a victory. If I'm not dropping three pounds (or more) pounds a week, it means the big baddies in my world aren't winning. So likely, DH will get to take all the pics he wants and I will keep them all.

.... LOL! I'm not crying and you can't prove otherwise. Better get back to enjoying life.

Tenant
In response to MommaSaid

We try to take DD's to the zoo every two years. The first year we went I took a picture of their hand over a mold of a crocodile claw that the zoo had on display. That year they were4, 2 and 1. Each year we have went back I have taken the same picture in the same place. This year when we head out they will be 20,18, and 17 and they are already looking forward to having that picture taken. I find that I take unplanned pictures more than planned ones. One year I took fifteen pictures of a squirrle that my daughter chased another year it was of a chipmunk.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics