Username Post: Parents Need to be aware of this        (Topic#1581111)
rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand

Please read this if you have children/grandchildren etc in any of these states:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-204_162-10006968 .html?tag=p...

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-26-12 02:23 PM
In response to rubymillerand

Paddling is a lot different than a slap across the face which they used to illustrate this.

I am not defending corporal punishment but it does bother me to see this sort of hyprebole being used.

Kathy_in_wlsv
Pro
Kathy_in_wlsv
In response to rubymillerand

20 years ago as a presentation for a class in educational history/psych I brough a paddle I had made to the exact specs of the paddles used in Texas at the time . It was 2 1/2 ft long 4 inches wide and 3/4 of an inch thick with holes drilled into it. As I picked it up I slammed it onto the desk with the same force a principal would use on a child.

I woke up that class. until I SHOWED what was being used many thought corporal punishment was ok.

If a parent used these implements to beat a child they would probably have that child removed. If I hit YOU with it, I would go to jail for assult.

It is NOT ok.

I won't even go into the stats that show that most paddling is aimed at boys who are NOT white, and who often have ADHD or intellectual deficits.

Diva
In response to Kathy_in_wlsv

I disagree with corporal punishemnt at the school level. This is very fine line.

I believe is to be left to parents who really know how and when to use it.

I used it with my three daughters..long time ago, and they are fine young ladies and we make fun of how I used to "punish" them. I learn a lot since then, now as a grandmother I try to use time out, talking about the problem before I will spank them on their behind. Never believe in smacking their faces ever. If the get a spank is more about a safety issue where they are to do something that my hurt even after I had say no!

My take on this one!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics