Page 1 of 38 
Username Post: Frugal Scrappers OPEN AND ACTIVE        (Topic#1529021)
Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez

I thought I would try to start a group for those of us on a very tight scraping budget. I thought it would be a good way to share tips and support each other. It's an expensive hobby so having others to help you stay strong and fight temptation is important.
I hope that it will also be a place to talk and give each other feed back. Since you are getting in at the ground level you can help shape this group to what you want.

****This is for those of you serious about being frugal****
~Ruthie

I decided to delete the member list since people tend to come and go.

Edited by Ruthiez on 07-10-10 08:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to Ruthiez

i would love to join. i am currently unemployed and so if i want to scrap i have to scrap on a budget. there is no way i can spend $15 on embellies for one layout. thanks for starting this group for other people who are on a tight budget.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to abbynormaloh75

I'm glad to have you. My husband is a grad student and don't make a lot so I have make do. It'll be fun to see what other tricks other people have for stretching a penny.

huskerfan
Guru
huskerfan
In response to Ruthiez

Hi, I would like to join too.We are on a tight budget also. My husband and son have kept me stocked up on stuff by buying me scrapbooking stuff for christmas, birthday that kind of thing. Also some wonderful ladies on here were sweet and sent me things they were not going to use.Great idea starting this group.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to huskerfan

Oh cool! I'm work 2 days a week, just 16 hours, so I have plenty of time but not a whole lot of money LOL!

Can I ask if this group will eventually 'close' when you hit a certain number of 'members'?
Will you be having challenges and critiqueing as well?
Or will it be just for sharing, chatting, exchanging ideas?
I'll save this topic to my faves if that's ok.

Tayrina BCStudio
Veteran
Tayrina BCStudio
In response to RockStar

Hi My name is Tayrina!!! I love scrapbooking, and because I love it, Im always trying to get the best sales and be the less expensive when buying supplies!!! Im always looking for stores online that sells quality and quantity for less!!!

For that reason I also practice digital scrapbooking, creating my own embellishments and papers... this way I can mantain my memories and Layouts in digital, not having to pay for printing.

I combine both too!

I will be pleased to be part of this group and share, ideas and tips about how to make LO's and practice scrapbooking with less money.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:

Can I ask if this group will eventually 'close' when you hit a certain number of 'members'?
Will you be having challenges and critiqueing as well?
Or will it be just for sharing, chatting, exchanging ideas?
I'll save this topic to my faves if that's ok.

I was thinking to do those kinds of things. I wanted to know what kind of interest there would be in that. I"ll admit I"m new to running a group so I was thinking to ease my way in.
If you are all patient well I figure it out I"m sure we will have great time. As far as if it will close I did intend to do that. I'm just not sure when and how many members.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to Ruthiez

Ok, thanks for your prompt answer, I appreciate it!

In that case, I'll bow out simply because I don't do challenges or critiques.

Good luck with your new group!

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to RockStar

This sounds like a GREAT idea. I'm definitely a frugal scrapper and am always looking for new ideas. As a matter of fact, my New Year's resolution was to not shop until I went to CKC in April -- so far so good!

Also, this past weekend, I was going through all my "stuff" b/c I had told a co-worker that I would donate stuff I knew I wouldn't be using to her afterschool scrapbooking club. Well, while I was sorting through the bottomless pit of embellies, I was in awe with the amount of "stuff" I have accumulated. Even after weeding out what I was going to give her, I was totally and completely overwhelmed with what was left. This is what I did:

I took every package that was not opened yet (and there were LOTS of those) and I put them in a box marked "store". Then I organized all the stuff that was opened and partially used. I told myself that when I scrap, I must go through what is already open and partially used first. If I truly can't find anything that will work, then I can go "shopping" in my "store". Again, so far so good -- only made one LO since then, but it was made with scrap paper and embellies that were collecting dust!

BubbleDragon
Tenant
BubbleDragon
In response to provinca

Oh, I would love to join. I'm a stay at home mom to 4 month old twins and while I do have some room for scrapbooking in the budget as my 'sanity time,' it's not much. I try to make up my own titles and fancy bits to stretch what I do allot myself.

More later - typing one handed with sleeping babe on my chest right now.

Renee305
Idol
Renee305
In response to BubbleDragon

Hi I would love to join!!
While in the past I have spent quite a lot on supplies my current partner isn't as "excited" as me to spend so much money on a "craft" lol.

So most of my shopping is done in discount stores and I try and find things I can convert into embellies, hair clips pulled apart are always a cheap way to make your own embellies and I buy fake flowers and pull them apart to use the petals as well.

Can't wait to make some new friends and learn some new tips!!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Renee305

when this is closed will the rest of us be able to read the posts? I would like to read all and if I have any ideas I will post it.

SwirlyGirl
Veteran
SwirlyGirl
In response to wilbur

I would love to join as well. I've never been a member of a group before. I tend to lurk around here. But this sounds right up my alley.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 02-25-10 11:28 AM
In response to SwirlyGirl

I'm in ladies!!! I try to be as frugal as possible and I'm also a 4-H leader for scrapbooking. We start this weekend so I'm always looking for inexpensive things to teach the kids on making their own embellishments.

Speaking of....anybody know of any good sites for punch art patterns....simple things. I know how to do flowers and 3/4 leaf clovers....I need some other things for them to make with my punches!!

Tenant
In response to j3Mel

Great idea! Like many of you, one of my main budget "tricks" is to always shop my stash first - it's amazing what you can do with scraps! Love to see others examples and ideas!

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to j3Mel

• j3Mel Said:
I'm in ladies!!! I try to be as frugal as possible and I'm also a 4-H leader for scrapbooking. We start this weekend so I'm always looking for inexpensive things to teach the kids on making their own embellishments.

Speaking of....anybody know of any good sites for punch art patterns....simple things. I know how to do flowers and 3/4 leaf clovers....I need some other things for them to make with my punches!!

Mel, here's a link to an sb.com thread about punches. The OP has some links for making a leprauchaun, a chick, a bunny, and if you scroll down, there are some others, too.

Good luck

sunshineann
Resident
sunshineann
In response to Scrapping My Adventures

This sounds like fun. I come up with alot of things i use from around the house..and my kids room. I too have never been a part of a group, and lurk around in here and have recently just starting posting in the forum.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 02-25-10 01:00 PM
In response to sunshineann

Anna............

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 02-25-10 01:05 PM
In response to j3Mel

well that would have made more sense if I had finished the post........

Anna.....the link isn't showing up.....don't know if you forgot it or it was eaten by the posting disposal......anyway....I'd love to see that link. Anything I can use to show them how to make page embellishments with scraps would be wooonnndeerful!!

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to j3Mel

OOOOOOOOOO This is me single mom of two on disability no help from dad so I am definately a frugal scrapper

Page 1 of 38 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics