Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Using found items on pages        (Topic#1464977)
chelseavantol
Expert
chelseavantol

What kind of things do you use?? I save bits of packaging, receipts, tags, cut clips from magazines, cut up old clothing, notepads, hair accessories, etc. What do YOU use? give me ideas ladies!!

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to chelseavantol

I use just about anything that I think would work on a page.

I've used washers from the hardware store, pipe cleaners, cross stitch plastic mesh, alphabet letter beads....

Mix-on the Memories
Diva
Mix-on the Memories
In response to -Melissa-

That is funny that you ask that, because I just started saving cereal like boxes to make some of my elements. This way when I see an idea or one comes to me I well have the cardboard to work with.

Here are to heart shaped button that I made with cereal boxes and PP.
Heart Buttons By Mix-on The Memories

Ooka
Ooka 
Resident
Ooka
  • Ooka on 05-25-08 03:09 PM
In response to Mix-on the Memories

I think I've used all the ones you mentioned,even oO

Tickets, brochures, confetti, metal shavings, the thin grating from an air conditioning vent, logos, food placemats, drink coasters, food wrappers sans grease, wristbands, cut up scarf, corn husk things, the shiny side of a soda can, food can wrappers, and photos of signs when the sign didn't fit.

Definitely a believer in found items...and now I know the real term for it! Although I wouldn't recommend soda cans or metal things unless you round the edges, those beasties hurt when you get a splinter.

chelseavantol
Expert
chelseavantol

• Mix-on the Memories Said:
That is funny that you ask that, because I just started saving cereal like boxes to make some of my elements. This way when I see an idea or one comes to me I well have the cardboard to work with.

Here are to heart shaped button that I made with cereal boxes and PP.
Heart Buttons By Mix-on The Memories

awesome idea

Wendylicious
Tenant
Wendylicious

I used a paper bag from world market (the printed side) as a matte for my dogs photos because the color matched her perfectly.

I've also used any and everything. Magazine cutouts, ribbons cut from the insides of blouses, 'discarded' patches from my husbands work shirt. I've also done punch outs from a strip of paper and used that strip as a border elsewhere.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Wendylicious

you name it, I've probably used it

Wendylicious
Tenant
Wendylicious
In response to Here Kitty

Anyone used metal duct tape for anything?

It is 'embossable' just be careful of cut or torn edges as it is super sharp.

As a kid we used to use it to write out name in, it was then indelible and great for textbooks and other things.

Amigosa
Mayor
Amigosa
In response to Wendylicious

I am fairly new to scrapbooking, so this may sound dumb... but what about all the talk about everything needing to be acid-free?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Amigosa

ehhhhh, some of it is just that, "talk."

Some people are very mindful of only using things that are "acid-free" but a lot of us don't stress about it.

The scrapbook my grandmother made nearly 70 years ago is falling apart because the base paper she used was construction paper, but all of the cards, tickets, note paper, etc is all just fine as are the photos. Not to mention part of the book had water damage, so that aided the paper ruin.

Many items even CREATED for scrapbooking aren't totally acid free. Grungeboard and Walnut ink for example aren't. However, if you ask a chemist, you'll find out that the trace and minute amounts of acid present in every day items aren't going to harm your photos or albums. In fact, your hands become acidic and you leave trace amounts of acid on your photos naturally! Acid is just a part of life, it's usually quite harmless.

So unless you're scrapbooking in an acid neutralized room with latex gloves and 100% TESTED products, your books aren't going to be acid free.

april_eric_always_forever

I've used craft feathers, bingo chips, craft sand, tags from store purchases, patches, doilies, craft flowers, game pieces (paper game pieces mostly), foam, small wood pieces, gift tags, flat backed plastic pieces. It seems like I'm always thinking scrapbooking whenever I shop and from day to day. Hope you got some sort of idea out of any thing I've said.
God bless

april_eric_always_forever

those are really cute! great idea

scrapam
Guru
scrapam
In response to april_eric_always_forever

I've used black strip squares from magazine subscription cards put together in a strip. Also strings cut from old towels, fabric etc. in laundry room to make my own fiber combos.

jgassa
jgassa 
Guru
jgassa
In response to Here Kitty

• Here Kitty Said:
ehhhhh, some of it is just that, "talk."

Some people are very mindful of only using things that are "acid-free" but a lot of us don't stress about it.

The scrapbook my grandmother made nearly 70 years ago is falling apart because the base paper she used was construction paper, but all of the cards, tickets, note paper, etc is all just fine as are the photos. Not to mention part of the book had water damage, so that aided the paper ruin.

Many items even CREATED for scrapbooking aren't totally acid free. Grungeboard and Walnut ink for example aren't. However, if you ask a chemist, you'll find out that the trace and minute amounts of acid present in every day items aren't going to harm your photos or albums. In fact, your hands become acidic and you leave trace amounts of acid on your photos naturally! Acid is just a part of life, it's usually quite harmless.

So unless you're scrapbooking in an acid neutralized room with latex gloves and 100% TESTED products, your books aren't going to be acid free.

This is pretty much what I thought as well, and I am glad to hear someone else saying it as well. I just did an inking layout where I made my own die, I did put acid free paper on the back of my photo just as a protective measure, but seems like people are very zeolous of the "acid free", I'm almost afraid to say what I used!

Edited by jgassa on 05-28-08 08:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

chelseavantol
Expert
chelseavantol
In response to jgassa

I never worry about acid free, personally.

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect

There are some dangerous stuff to have in your books but it's a matter of both degree and tolerance. Stuff that degasses or is very acidic is a no-no (unless your tolerance level is very high). ANd if archivally safe stuff is readily available and about the same price, I'd use it. (Adhesives come to mind.) Also stuff that's high lignin is going to crumble fast (think newspaper, cereal boxes, construction paper) But this post isn't about acid-free, it's about found stuff...

I use it all the time. Some of my favs: metal button from NY Laundry for a NY page, a Made for Wet Weather tag from outdoor clothing, beach glass...and hardware store-like stuff that's eventually made it's way into the SB market..

JustLori
Mayor
JustLori
In response to scraperfect

I use window screen, cellophane (you can get it by the roll, in colors), the cardboard that comes in packaged dress shirts, paper clips, safety pins, hemp twine I have left from other craft projects. Your imagination is the limit!

~ShawnaH~
Veteran
~ShawnaH~
In response to JustLori

I save anything I think is cute or can be added to a page/card. I don't worry about acid free so much for the same reason Here Kitty mentioned.

Jordannichole
Guru
Jordannichole
In response to ~ShawnaH~

I like to use clothing tags and cover up the words with a piece of patterned paper . They already have a hole in them so you can thread a piece of yarn through it.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 06-03-08 09:45 AM
In response to Jordannichole

What great ideas.
I use anything. I have used my grandkids drawings; covers from programs (see this http://www.scrapjazz.com/galleries/32606/view/ 459258/-1... fabric scraps including ones from things I have made that are worn in the photos in the lo; pieces of toys; sheetrock tape (for mesh);feathers; dried flowers (laminated for acidity reasons) - whatever inspires!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics