Username Post: How do you organize your paper??        (Topic#1579603)
AngHofmann
New Kid On the Block
AngHofmann

I am really up in the air on how I want to organize my paper. My supply is getting to be quite large and I need a new system.
I buy A LOT of paper pack/books. I like keeping the pages in the packs/books until I use them. So organizing by color/theme, like most people seem to organize their paper, wont work for me. The only way I see organizing by color/theme would work is if I tear every single sheet out of the packs/books.
I am sure there is someone out there that also like to keep the paper in the packs/books. HOW DO YOU ORGANIZE YOUR PAPER??

Edited by AngHofmann on 08-10-12 03:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to AngHofmann

If you look for paper by manufacturer, then sort it that way. The most important thing about the way your paper is sorted is that it works for you.

I generally sort mine by colors and by about two dozen themes, because that works for me, but I do have a few stacks I keep together. If a lot of your paper packs are themed, you could still sort by theme, and keep solid-color stacks separate. I have a food themed stack in the same slot as all my loose food themed paper, I have a zoo themed stack in the same slot as all my loose animal-themed paper.

AngHofmann
New Kid On the Block
AngHofmann
In response to aquabunny

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I should have asked is what do you use to organize your paper packs??

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

I use a metal paper rack like you see in stores, and a taller rack with more shelves, shown in the right half of this photo. I use both types to store both loose and stacked papers.

Scraproom (February 2012) - Desk and paper racks By Aquabunny

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to aquabunny

You could pretty much use any of the forms of storage that you use for other types of paper storage.

The thinner ones, I store in my file folders in my scrapbook paper cart. (Thicker ones don't work as well this way of course - although once I've used a bunch of papers this becomes a better option for keeping the remaining pieces all together for future projects.)

The thicker ones, I just store upright on my bookcase and prop up with book ends if need be.

But you could do as Aquabunny does or even use the vertical magazine holders with labeled dividers if you think it helps.

Or you can put them in Sterlite type drawers or Iris containers...

You could use oversized baskets and stand them up in them.

The list goes on and on. It is pretty much personal choice. Hope you find the idea that fits your personality and budget.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to KatieJo

I keep my packs together, too. The 12x12's I keep on clear paper racks. Anything smaller (I don't have many) goes into a square basket where I can flip through them.

Welcome to the neighborhood

Edited by Kim222 on 08-12-12 06:03 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Kim222

I keep my paper in Iris-type containers. I have two carts stacked together that hold 12 containers, then I have others in a pile that will eventually go on shelving. I like the containers with lids so my paper stays clean and neat. I tear my stacks apart, except for a few special themes, and organize by color, but whole stacks can be kept in the containers also, sorted by theme.

I keep my cs & pp together. I think by colors :>)

I don't snap the lids shut since it's too hard on the fingernails to get them open again, but they close enough to keep the paper clean.

tneal40
Diva
tneal40
In response to mrsdriver5

I have all my colored paper on wire racks and packed paper in drawers. My problem is knowing what I have since I have so much. I have found myself buying more of the same paper I have forgetting what I have.

One day I will figure it all out and have it all in view and just able to reach over and grab what I need and want. (I do have dreams lol)

Richelle
Angel
Richelle
In response to tneal40

I sort by color.
I have solids and then patterned paper.
It's easier for me when I need a certain color so I don't have to go sorting through brands.

DanielleN
New Kid On the Block
DanielleN

My brain seems to work differently than everyone else, so my system is a little unique. I do it in a file cabinet like system. That has 3 major categories than each of those into sub categories. The 3 major are single, double, and multiple.

Single: vellum(transparent, lace, etc.), cardstock, texture, pattern, and fancy
Double: vellum, texture, sets (like the ones that are left & right different but go together), cardstock, pattern, and fancy
Multiple: vellum, cardstock, texture, pattern, and fancy

As for once into the separate files then they go into ROYGBIV(or rainbow) color scheme. Those are just my loose paper organization. I hope this helps and you find a good way to organize.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to DanielleN

I just did a video post on how I organize my paper:

http://3monkeysthrowingar oundsomepaper.blogspot.com/201...

Heck25
Heck25 
Tenant
Heck25
In response to binkiemonstermom

I sort mine by color into drawers, or by topic into folders in Iris bins. If you don't have folders, or if you've torn into your stacks but want to keep them together, buy 2 gallon zip baggies. I can usually find them easily in the dollar store.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap
In response to Heck25

I think I have tried so many different ways to organize... but here is my current system that I've used for the past year and really like it. My DH always tells me that I spend more time organizing than scrapping so I've been working on changing that.

I buy my paper in both stacks and in single sheets.

For stacks of cardstock, I tear them apart and then place each color (according to the rainbow) in a 12.5x12.5 inch baggie and hang it on my clip it up system. Any single sheets of cardstock are also filed this way. These are all on 1 Clip it Up floor model system.
Here is a link to what the clip it up systems look like: http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

For stacks of patterned paper, I keep them together (including the scraps) and file by manufacturer. I scan the front of each pack and keep an electronic image of them so I don't have to go pull them all our of their cases to know what I have (both IRIS and tall files). The photo below are the IRIS cases. http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/543581/view /3501529/...

I normally buy single sheets of patterned paper by theme or thinking of it for a specific use. I use my second clip it up floor model to organize papers & embellishments by theme (for example, travel locations, Christmas, Fall, etc). I combine the single sheets by theme into 12.5x12.5 inch baggies and hang them organized by theme.

Its really a hybrid rainbow/theme system but it seems to correspond well to how my brain works and where I go to look for a piece of paper.

I should note that once in a while, I will tear out patterned papers from a stack, but they really have to be specific to a theme (for example, a seasonal paper pack will be split into Spring, Summer, Fall & Winter and then hung on the second clip it up.

I hope that helps!!

Edited by ars.scrap on 11-07-12 03:35 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

gorzeneesje
New Kid On the Block
gorzeneesje
In response to ars.scrap

I keep my paper in a paper trolly like they use in the offices, there are hanging red maps into it so I can separate them all by color and design names
its easy to use there are wheels onder it so I can place it under my desk and when I need paper just pull put the trolley .......tadaaaaaaaaa..........

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to gorzeneesje

Categorized paper storage By Juansmom

In the blue crate I have all my paper sorted in folders by ROYGBIV color, with patterned papers behind the solids. Each folder is labeled with a postit. The white crate has most of my paper stacks labeled by theme, Boys, Brights, Christmas, Dogs, etc. The crates are great for me because I don't have a lot of paper, I scrap in the dining room and the crates are mobile, and its easy to grab papers from the vertical file when I go to a crop.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Juansmom

so many great ideas!!!

max28
max28 
Tenant
max28
  • max28 on 12-09-12 10:58 AM
In response to SmartyPants

I just put them into different boxes sorted by color. I sorted them by event before, but that wasn't really helpful..

a_hodgins
Resident
a_hodgins
In response to max28

First off I think it depends on how big your paper collection is. haha
I think of mine to be small compared to others I have seen haha

I store my paper by color.
Each color has its own container
The containers I got at Micheals
This is working for me and I find it helps keep my papers clean.

Grue 
New Kid On the Block
  • Grue on 02-03-13 04:48 AM
In response to a_hodgins

I have two paper organizing systems--one for stacks and one for sheets. After I've finished using a stack for a particular project I rip it up and sort into drawers split by color. I make a lot of themed minis and art journals, so I tend to exhaust most of a stack by the time I'm finished with a project. Stacks I haven't used go into their own drawers, very simply split into themed and un-themed. If I need Halloween or wedding or whatever I'll open the themed drawer. If I just want a fresh stack of coordinating paper I open the other drawer. I ruthlessly discard any stack sheets that I'm not fond of when I'm sorting remainders into drawers.

The only theme exceptions I make are for pets and Christmas. I sell/give away pet mini albums, so I keep all of my pet products, including paper stacks, dies, stamps, embellishments, etc., in one bin. Ditto for Christmas, but those stacks and products are dedicated to card and tag making.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics