Username Post: Embossing Powder        (Topic#1582189)
mddanie
Veteran
mddanie

I'd like to start using more embossing powder on my pages. I'd realy love to hear some techniques that others use so I can try to incorporate these. My DH said I can't buy any more embossing powder until I learn a new trick to use with it.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to mddanie

Well, what are the tricks you already know?

mddanie
Veteran
mddanie
In response to aquabunny

Right now all I do is stamp (or draw a design with ink) and apply heat. Sometimes all I do is make a mess. (Might be another reason I'm banned from shopping right now. ;))

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to mddanie

You can try pressing a stamp into an area of still-hot melted powder for kind of a wax-seal look.

You can supposedly dump glitter onto the still-wet melted powder as well.

You can use the pad of embossing ink and cover a large area with it, or go along the edges of a photo mat with it so only the very edges of a piece have the embossing powder.

If you have clear embossing powder and some paints or mists, you can stamp and emboss an image on white paper, then paint or mist over it so the image appears in white with a mottled colored background, like a relief.

I like to use black embossing powder on black paper, then punch photo corners out of it with a Sizzix die to create an old-style photo corner look.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to aquabunny

If you're careful, you can also emboss designs on plastic. I've done it on some acrylic shapes by Apple Pie Memories, which got kind of melty and hardened in a warped shape, but I've also done it on CDs (used burnable CDs I didn't need anymore), and that worked well.

You can cover chipboard letters (or chipboard letter stickers) in embossing ink and use a powder to change the color to what you need.

mddanie
Veteran
mddanie
In response to aquabunny

Awesome! Thanks guys! The hubs will be home in two weeks. I plan to meet him at the door with all my new crafty things I have made!!!

Wendy L
Expert
Wendy L
In response to mddanie

I may have missed the boat with this late reply. You can also try:
*apply gesso or paint, sprinkle embosing powder on and heat for a grungy look (paint will bubble when overheated)
*ink/paint chipboard title, stamp fine pattern (eg script) onto letters and clear emboss
*emboss edges of flower petals
*use 2 colours for embossing. Either sprinkle second colour over first embossed area while still melted to give highlights OR emboss different colours side by side and drag a toothpick from one to the other while melted.

mddanie
Veteran
mddanie
In response to Wendy L

Thanks, Wendy!

babigirl
Governor
babigirl
In response to mddanie

thanks i will try some of these to i a very new at this to

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to aquabunny

oh, fun ideas, thanks.

max28
max28 
Tenant
max28
  • max28 on 12-09-12 11:04 AM
In response to Sunnydi

can only agree, great ideas! will definitely try some of them

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to max28

Great tips!

Diva
In response to prittb

Wendy..thanks for your ideas. I love embossing powder, but I am limited as how to use it or when...you gave me some pretty cool ideas!

tbross71
Veteran
tbross71
In response to bayamonesa1

Thanks for the inspirational Ideas!

Resident
In response to tbross71

paint a small piece of chipboard (like a small tag, oval or square) black. do 3 layers of black embossing then when cool, "paint" or "rub" on some perfect pearls powder. then just heat again and while still melted, press in a stamp or i've even used an embossing folder.

New Kid On the Block
In response to dee.is.me

Just sharing a problem I had: NEVER emboss anything on your page AFTER you have already attached your photos!
The heat embosser will ruin them!!!Also, the embossing powder gets stuck to the pictures surface.
I imagine that experienced scrappers wouldn`t to that, but I would like to share this experience, so that no one else does what I did!

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to angelicakm

I like heat embossing elements and then adding them to my pages. I never emboss directly on my LO. Also, I didn't want to get sucked into another investment in a whole bunch of anything, so I stamp in my chosen colors and then use clear embossing powder instead of buying a jillion different colors of powder.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics