Username Post: scrapping old letters        (Topic#1583367)
Lealea
Lealea 
New Kid On the Block
Lealea

Hi
I have a box of letters that belonged to my husbans grandmother.. any suggestions on how to scrap them and preserve them. There is some lovely history contained with in them. The pages and the ink are well preserved and havent faded all that much.. I would love to use the originals rather than scanning and using copies. I dont have a lot of photos of her. The letters were written in the early 1920's
thanks in advance Leanne x

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Lealea

there is some archival spray called "make it acid free" it won't cause ink to run or distort paper adn then you will be able to mount them on paper, etc.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Just G

If they are written on one side, I would just incorporate the letter into a letter. If she's written on multiple sides or pages, then I would create a pocket to tuck the letter in.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Lealea

I'd use the originals, but first scan and save them to a hard drive in case "worst case scenario" should happen. Spills and other oopsies are part of life and it's always nice knowing that papers aren't completely destroyed. Also, the scans can then be sent to others who might enjoy having copies. No, they won't have the originals, but close to it~Judy

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to Lealea

Another thing you might consider is transcribing the letters. I have some very old letters written by DH's grandmother and my father's aunt. These date from the 1920's and 30's. The pencil has faded badly over the decades. I have decided to spray and scan them as mentioned above but am transcribing them also to make sure the info is never lost.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Ms. Fit

that's a wonderful family heirloom you have!! I would put them into archival clear bags and attach the bag to the page - that way - the letters could always be taken out for future family members to look at, scan, etc.

good luck and post pictures when you are done!!

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to SmartyPants

I love that suggestion! It never would have occurred to me. Thank you!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Ms. Fit

You can glue and envelope to the page and keep the letters there.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics