Username Post: white wash        (Topic#1589815)
killereyes818
New Kid On the Block
killereyes818

Hi. I hear a lot and see things about white washing and using gesso????? I love the look but have no idea what I am doing. Lol.... could someone please help to explain better to me? Thanks. Any advice would help

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-01-13 01:00 PM
In response to killereyes818

Gesso is just a white paint mixture that's used to prep canvas and other surfaces for painting. If all you want a 'white-wash' type of look you don't necessarily need gesso, you'll get different looks by using different products - gesso, white acrylic paint, white watercolor paint, etc.

ScrappinTraveler
Expert
ScrappinTraveler
In response to stick

No matter what you use, paint or gesso, to get the white wash effect you need to add some water to the paint and thin it out a bit. Then when you brush it on use a dry or fairly dry brush and a little paint on the brush tips and lightly brush it on to get the feathery old wood kind of look. Test it out on a scrap peice of paper first to see if its too thick or thin. If you think it's too wet, dab the brush on a paper towel to dry it up a bit before brushing the paint on. . .

Maevins
New Kid On the Block
Maevins
In response to killereyes818

I use homemade gesso, because the real gesso is way too expensive for my blood. Baby powder, water, glue and house paint....works great.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Maevins

Thanks for these tips. Wondered the same thing.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics