Username Post: Reorganized        (Topic#1590699)
flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

Ok, I am completely organized now from ribbons & tapes to papers, embellies, chipboards & alpha. The $10,000 question now is: WHERE IS EVERYTHING??? Oh my lands, I reach for something that, of course, is no longer there. I look around & try to remember what I placed it in, in which area, in what container? My chair swivels, which has come in quite handy, as I spin in circles trying to recall what is where. It's kinda comical. Is there such a thing as 'too organized'?

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to flwrgrl

In my experience of re-organizing my space at least a half dozen times over the last 15 years, I have learned that if I organize (or reorganize) and then cannot find anything, then I haven't organized in a manner that suits how I work.

For example, at one time, I put alot of my supplies into different containers. The containers sure did look nice and neat on my shelves but I had no idea what I had put into them (out of sight, out of mind) and that led me to have to open every container numerous times during the creative process of putting together scrapbook pages. So, that kind of organization didn't work for me and I had to try something different.

So yes, I believe it is possible to be too organized and I also believe it can take several tries of different "systems" until you find an organizational system that works for you.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Shutterbugg

I just had that problem! I have little fabric totes that things are in inside a cabinet. You can't really see the tops that great, so what I did was cut labels on my Cameo in matching colors to my scrappy area and then attached it to the tote with velcro. Then that way if I have to change something around in the bins, I can just switch out the label without destroying anything.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to Shutterbugg

I've discovered I like everything within arm's reach: the problem with that is, the way my room is arranged, that just isn't possible! I COULD move my desk, but then I'd lose the only natural light from the corner windows-and I do enjoy looking out when I'm working on a project.

Expert
In response to flwrgrl

I like everything in containers, and they are displayed on shelves. I have labeled everything from types of stickers, to alphas, to types of stamps, etc. It seems to work for me. I do have way too much stuff. My adult nieces say it's like my own store. I like to have enough stuff when they come over to scrap.
I do need to USE some of the things, though..I think I tend to collect rather than craft sometimes. ha ha.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to deedee49

I've tried the container route and I have a hard time too when it comes to remembering what I have. I'm having a heck of a time with embellishments. Containers do work for somethings though. Like I have a large container just for adhesives. I also have a lot of shallow drawers that really help for things like stickles, paints, string and twine. Shelves help a lot too. I have a large shelf over my craft table that holds most of my punches. I use them a lot and I think it's because they are right there at my fingertips.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to deedee49

I believe the same is true of me! I LOVE scrapbook shopping, seeing all that I have. I let more enjoyment from that sometimes than I do finishing a page. I'm a mess!

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to olleharr

I too, tend to use items that are right at within reach more than items I have to get up & get or search for...

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to flwrgrl

If your storage containers are clear...this helps A LOT!! If you see it you will use it;-)

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to Juansmom

I LOVE having things in clear containers, or where I can easily thumb through what I have. (like hanging files)

crystalmorse
Guru
crystalmorse
In response to flwrgrl

I use the expedit unit and some michaels cubes. But I can't stand being able to see everything. So I put it all in bins and had the same problem as you.

That's when I decided to draw a map. I used graph paper and labeled what is in each square. And I hung my map on my bulletin board right next to me. I know where everything in now so I could take it down. But it really helped.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to crystalmorse

What a great idea about a map! I LOVE that-thanks!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to flwrgrl

Try keeping a record of where you store your items. Take photos and keep a digital album so when you really can't find something, you can look through your photos and figure out.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics