Username Post: Cardstock vs Paper Question        (Topic#1504827)
gammom 
New Kid On the Block

My granddaughter and I are beginning to get things together for our very first album. I have purchased some themed paper and I assumed that is where the pictures are arranged. Is this true or should I be putting them on cardstock. Hwne is either used. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-18-09 09:55 AM
In response to gammom

There are no rules - you can do whatever you want I like patterned paper s because they're so pretty, but cardstock comes in so many wonderful colors. You can combine, them, too, like use one paper to make a frame for a photo and affix that to a different paper.

If you take a look through the galleries here you'll get many, many ideas.

cutencrafty
Diva
cutencrafty
In response to gammom

I use the themed paper as the main background. Then I'll use the card stock to add a boarder around the picture or for lettering.

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to cutencrafty

I use a mixture of cs & PP....I let the pics dictate the paper......check out the gallery.....you will lots of examples of all different approaches and papers........It really inspires!!!!!!!!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to melissadam

I typically use cardstock as my base, because it is usually heavier.

But, as stated above, there are no rules. Do whatever makes you happy and works for you.

For example, if you are using a strap-hinge album and covering the page, then patterned paper ("theme paper") would work well.

ScrappE
Diva
ScrappE
In response to Bxr-Linda

I too just use whatever I feel like using at the time - some times cardstock for the background, but other times I use patterned paper . Sorry there's not just one answer, but at the same time, I'm glad there's not! :)

Cindy M
Pro
Cindy M
In response to ScrappE

I use both cardstock and patterned paper although I almost always mat the picture with cardstock. Browse the gallery and see what peaks your interest!

Edited by Cindy M on 05-18-09 05:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to Cindy M

You can use either for the background! whatever you decide looks good. you can even combine patterned paper and cardstock to make a background. Hint: if you use a full sheet of lighter-weight paper (as opposed to cardstock-weight), use some double-sided scrapbooking tape to attach it to some plain cardstock for support.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to animemama

I personally like pp that is the WEIGHT of cs,,,,,K and co makes a nice one and DCWV makes one too,,,

occasionally, I have pp that is sooooo thin, but I love it so much and want to use it as a base or bg paper,,,,,

so I take my ATG gun and run several lines on the back of the pp, and all around the edges,,,,,,

and i "glue" it to a piece of cs,,,,I find it useful to do half the page at a time,,,,this way I can line it up on the cs so it's straight using the UNGLUED SIDE, then gently press the glued side down, then pull up the unglued side and run the ATG on the other side,,,,,keeps it straighter and less chance for ruining my pp,,,,

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 05-19-09 03:27 AM
In response to CommaHolly

You might want to take the theme paper you have already purchased with you to the craft store and pick out some coordinating cardstock.

In general, I use cardstock as the background and patterned paper as the foreground, with pics matted with another coordinating cardstock color.

I would definitely buy some white or cream cardstock and probably brown or black cardstock. Those are just good basic colors and make a nice contrast against theme paper.

Here's an example of white cardstock as background paper. I put a little strip of patterned paper as a border across the bottom.

Bringing Home Baby
By IzzyB

KITswpa
Veteran
KITswpa
In response to IzzyB

Variety is the spice of life and anything goes when scrapbooking as long as you keep the archival rule in mind all the time so that thinks don't get ruined with time. Use only acid free and ligin free papers and embellishments! Scrap on!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics