Username Post: Software recommendation?        (Topic#1509731)
meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser

Hi, all, from a newbie to the forum. I've just gotten a new computer to replace my old one, and I'm looking for some photo software that will be basic enough for a newbie to work with, but will also allow me to edit pictures... maybe even do some digital when I'm braver. I'm intimidated by Photoshop but maybe you all can recommend some or reassure me about Photoshop. Thanks for your help!

lifeinthefastlane
Diva
lifeinthefastlane
In response to meezerpleaser

Picasa..... and its free

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 07-12-09 04:56 PM
In response to lifeinthefastlane

Gimps free but I swear you need a masters in something to understand it.

I recommend Photoshop elements. It's cheep it's basic and it's fast. If you like it you can upgrade.

fatwhippet
Pro
fatwhippet
In response to Obi

Photoshop Elements. Seems scary at first but it is an unsurpassed and versatile tool for photography. Pick up a Scott Kelby Elements book too and you will be up and running in no time.

Veteran
In response to meezerpleaser

I would go with Photoshop Elements too, especially if you are considering trying digital scrapbooking.

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to jorgies5

I know a lot of people love photoshop and I know why they do. For a newbie, coming from a computer technician, I would reccomend Microsoft Picture It Premium. For ease of use it is great, I use it to digital scrapbook, and it is a great way to learn what you like and dislike in a program, before you go all out for the one you want to move up to.

If you are using a PC it should have come with this as a package deal. It comes with Microsoft Works which is an entire software bundle for home users unlike Microsoft Office.

As a scrapper I know there are better programs out there but what you are asking for is an easy program to use until you learn what you need to.

As a Computer Technician I recomend Picture It simply because you shouldn't have to buy it and it is the jumping off place for pictures and new users.

If you bought a Mac setup you should have great software options for free included with the computer as well. If you don't go to their web site and look at your options for free download as they have many.

Photoshop Elements will work with either Mac or PC if you choose this option. Okay now that I just went all tech geek on you I will go back to what I was doing. Good Luck.

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 07-13-09 01:38 PM
In response to ImForwardByDesign

I use Gimp and Picasa. Picasa is easier to learn, but they both work well and both are free open source online downloads. I would start with one of those and then if you feel you need more buy one.

Scatter
Guru
Scatter
In response to CASBa

Gimp and Picasa are 2 of my favorites too! Gotta love that they are free!!

I've got lots to learn with Gimp, but I do know how to 'square up' my layout pics that always seem to photograph wonky!

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 07-15-09 07:31 AM
In response to Scatter

Also there are a lot of tutorials available on line for free for both Gimp and Picasa so you can almost always find a way to do something you are wanting to.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics