Username Post: newbie..please help..cricut ?        (Topic#1519907)
Tenant

Hey everyone,my name is Nikki and I hope y'all can help me.I'm new to the scrap booking world and I have a few questions.I want to buy the cricut machine(made by provo craft) but I'm not sure which one is best for me.I don't want to be disappointed so I don't think the cheap one will work for me.What kind of accessories do I need or might I want?Would the cricut gypsy be right for me since I'm a beginner or should I wait to see how much scrap booking I do?I guess y'all should tell me what it is and how it works first .Thanks

MindyO
MindyO 
Veteran
MindyO
In response to momaof3

you can do the most with a Cricut Expression - it has the 12x12 mat and all the new features.
The Cricut Create can do almost all the same features, but it is small, like the original bug.
you will still need a cricut machine to use a gypsy - it is for downloading your cartidges onto, so that you only need to have one thing with you instead of having to bring all your cartrides if you were going to a crop or something.

I have the "cheap" one as you have said - it's the baby bug, and it does just what I need it to. I also bought SCAL to go with it, so I can cut TTF from my computer.
HTH. Best of luck to you.

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to MindyO

I personally bought the Cricut Expression because I mostly do 12x12 scrapping. I also purchased the Cricut Expression because I went through every single option Provo Craft offered, this was the correct one for me, after I stopped and asked myself what I needed personally. I also buy 12x12 paper and did not want to have to cut every piece down to fit the smaller machines.

I wanted the machine with the most options simply because I felt in the long run this investment was going to save me money. So far it has paid for it's self several times. I also wanted the largest one because I didn't want to find out later that I restricted myself in any way. I also liked the fact that size would never be an issue because you just never know. Not to mention my husband stepped in and basically said "why would you get anything less, if you are going to invest in this machine, why would you start at the bottom"? He had a point. Why would I buy the Gypsy only to purchase the Expression later?

I can not tell you which one will work best for you. I needed the Expression, I have friends happy with the Personal, and then there are those who have the Gypsy and love it. It comes down to personal need and preference everytime.

I would ask yourself a few questions. What size albums do you like to do? Is the 12x12 size something you need? What exactly are you hoping to accomplish with the Cricut? Will the Gypsy more than cover your needs? Are you ready to make this kind of investment in scrapping? Have you looked at the other Die Cutting systems to compair? What functions do you need your Cricut to perform? Some have more options than others. Are you looking at the Gypsy because, as beginner, you don't think you the Expression is appropriate?

You mentioned you were a beginner. To me this only matters to your purchase if you are not fully committed to this hobby. As a beginner I would think the Cricut would be a great asset for you. If you are not sure, any of the Cricut machines are a lot of money, would this be the right time to invest in one?. If you are sure scrapping is what you are wanting to do, then the Cricut is a very wise investment to make, and I would take the length of time you have been scrapping out of the picture all together. This will make your decision easier.

I would tell you to look at HSN at all the different Cricut Packages they offer and see if this doesn't help you better understand what you want and what is offered. This is where I purchased mine and I could not be happier.

As for Carts, the Jukebox, and the USB Connecter, and other accessories this is personal preference too. If you go for the USB option you'll need access to your computer. It doesn't give you access to all the Carts, just the ones you have, and I am not sure it makes it any more simple. The Jukebox holds 6 Carts I believe, and for me, I only have 4 Carts, at this point it is overkill. Carts depend on what you want and your style. There are many to choose from.

I know how easy it is to go directly to the Cricut but have you looked at other Die Cutting Systems? People who have the Slice love it. There are other options out there too. Not to complicate things.

I just went through this process 4 months ago. I am not sure how your brain works but this was how mine functioned. It also helped me decide exactly what was for me and what wasn't. There are the die hard Expression fans who couldn't imagine you buying anything smaller. There are the Personal fans just happy as can be with the small one. What you need and want makes the decision I think.

Good Luck I Hope This Helps,

Jordannichole
Guru
Jordannichole
In response to ImForwardByDesign

There are 3 cricut machines:

The Expression- this cuts on a 12x12 mat and is the most versatile. I have this one.

I don't know that much about the other machines but I know there's the Create and the baby bug!!

I hope this helps you!!

Edited by Jordannichole on 11-07-09 08:22 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jordannichole

I just ordered the Expression as a bundle from HSN and it was only like 49 more dollars than buying it in walmart by its self, and I got it with several extras! I am so excited! I cant wait for it to get here. I just hope its easy to learn to use!

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to Melissa0627

Awesome! It will be a breeze. Just watch the DVD before you get started. You won't be disappointed. Happy Cricut Scrapping!

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to ImForwardByDesign

Hey Nikki, I just wanted to touch on something that Nici mentioned. She talked about the Gypsy as if it were a machine to be used by itself, but it's not. You have to have a Cricut to use the Gypsy, it's an accessory for the Cricut. There are three Cricut machines, the Expression, the Create and the Personal. If you have the $$ buy the Expression, why start with the oldest technology? You wouldn't do that with a computer would you? But check out the Silhouette and Wishblade as well as the Slice. Cricut is just the most popular because it's probably the easiest to use and you don't have to have a computer to run it. I have a Slice and the Personal and I love both.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to sweet1

I have the Original Cricut that I bought about three years ago. Since I bought the DS and in Sept the Gypsy,they both greatly expand the Original's functionality and it meets my needs.

If I was just buying my first machine, I would buy the Expression and see how much you like that. Than at a later date get the DS or Gypsy.

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to dotfree

Sweet1 is right. I did mention the Gypsy as an actual machine and it isn't. I was thinking about the Cricut Create. My brain got jumbled again and my words came out incorrectly. The Gypsy is definately an accessory. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics